What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Recruit's Spine Dilemma

possm

Coach
I

Is it not over $1 mill for Hunts last year on a back ended option he took
900 is the 24 and 25 salary I believe
Included in a previous post about the spine.

Surely, the Dragons would have to have one of the least expensive spines in the NRL (about 2m) so, where is all of the salary cap money spent?

Sloan / Ramsey 350k
Armone - 400k
Hunt - 900k
Liddle - 350k

Draginzaaar

Bench
JDB - 600k
Su'A - 550k
Suli - 500k
Molo - 600k
Laurie - 500k
Bird - 550k

Still well within the cap and not much in comparison to what is paid at other clubs. The Club must have a couple of marquees forwards on the hook or, have been front-ending some key player's contracts in preparation for 2024.

Remember we have let go of Sims 800k and replaced him with....? We also must make it so that Dean Young gets a top-line squad to ensure first-year success.
How would you know how much these players are on?

Maximus

Coach
JDB - 600k
Su'A - 550k
Suli - 500k
Molo - 600k
Laurie - 500k
Bird - 550k

Still well within the cap and not much in comparison to what is paid at other clubs. The Club must have a couple of marquees forwards on the hook or, have been front-ending some key player's contracts in preparation for 2024.

Remember we have let go of Sims 800k and replaced him with....? We also must make it so that Dean Young gets a top-line squad to ensure first-year success.

I'm not sure made up numbers gives much indication of where our cap is at

Maximus

Coach
How would you know how much these players are on?

It's easy to work out how much players are on. The first thing you need to know is what agenda you are pushing.

If you want to claim management is bad at managing the cap, all those players are on 950k+

If you want to claim that management is bad because we didn't sign some high priced player, all those players are on f**k all and anyone who left is on 950k+

Simple. Now you can tell everyone what the players are on

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If you through Mbye to the No.9 spot the spine costs slightly more as I thought he was on decent coin. But looking at this is quite alarming how cheap the spine is at the Dragons compared to other teams. And the most expensive player is a 33 year old.

If all goes well and Sloan, Amone and Bud take off then the spine will be up there as the most expensive in 2024/5 with upgrades and clubs will be sniffing around like they are doing to Penrith. That spine would have been cheap as well 5 years ago.

offiah

Juniors
I think Bud and Hunt the other way around, but that’s actually a better outcome come 2024. Bud can finally start getting some experience and learn to start taking the reigns of the team as hunt starts to move into 9 🤞

Last edited:

The Word

Juniors
Included in a previous post about the spine.

Surely, the Dragons would have to have one of the least expensive spines in the NRL (about 2m) so, where is all of the salary cap money spent?

Sloan / Ramsey 350k
Armone - 400k
Hunt - 900k
Liddle - 350k
possm you need to include Sullivan and Mbye as they are also top 30 spine players. Also, you've got Sloan and Ramsey sharing $350k here. I also think Hunt is on a higher salary for this year as it was previous contract I think? I'd say the number is over $3M, but not really sure.
Top 30 cap last year was $9.36M (moving to $11.45M for this year). So 7 spine players (23% of squad) made up about 32% + of the cap.
I think you're probably right, it looks a bit low. I'd say it's because we have a number of young players who haven't done enough to command the big bucks yet, but hopefully they will in the coming years.
Importantly we now have an additional $2.09M to spend on wages for this year, added to the fairly decent amount we've probably saved on departing players.
It all adds up to having proper coin to spend on the last 3 spots. Surely another top class backrower would make sense to play with Sua. (Although I think Fui could have a great year in 2023). Maybe also spend big on another front rower, if anyone becomes available which isn't looking likely.
I would say some cash was being held back to give Amone an improved contract if he did well this year.