What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Salary Cap

possm

Coach
Despite the signing of a few players during the off-season, it is my opinion that we have more than enough salary cap to replace Frizell and De Belin if we chose to do so. I am sure there is a stategy here and Griffin is playing a two season game rather than just season 2021.

If it is Griffin's intention to push his squad to perform to their best ability in 2021 and then cull heavily for 2022 and beyond, then he is on the right track. In the past we have paid over for players who could now never live up to their current pay rate.

So by having salary cap space available and front ending the players he wants to keep into the future, Griffin is on track to make it as easy as possible to buy the players he wants after culling the players he does not want and contributing up front payments to the players he wants to keep.

Dragons players off contract at the end of 2021 are:
Keep

Eddie Blacker
Billy Brittain
Cody Ramsey
Jack de Belin (if available)
Paul Vaughan (1 year player option)
Front-end the above players to the extent of the spare salary cap we have.

Let Go
Matt Dufty
Kaide Ellis
Tyrell Fuimaono
Cameron McInnes
Trent Merrin
Corey Norman
Jordan Pereira
Brayden Wiliame
Replace the above players with some top grade forwards and back-fill remaining positions with local juniors.

BLM01

First Grade
Despite the signing of a few players during the off-season, it is my opinion that we have more than enough salary cap to replace Frizell and De Belin if we chose to do so. I am sure there is a stategy here and Griffin is playing a two season game rather than just season 2021.

If it is Griffin's intention to push his squad to perform to their best ability in 2021 and then cull heavily for 2022 and beyond, then he is on the right track. In the past we have paid over for players who could now never live up to their current pay rate.

So by having salary cap space available and front ending the players he wants to keep into the future, Griffin is on track to make it as easy as possible to buy the players he wants after culling the players he does not want and contributing up front payments to the players he wants to keep.

Keep

Eddie Blacker
Billy Brittain
Cody Ramsey

Let Go
Matt Dufty
Kaide Ellis
Tyrell Fuimaono
Cameron McInnes
Trent Merrin
Corey Norman
Jordan Pereira
Brayden Wiliame
Replace the above players with some top grade forwards and back-fill remaining positions with local juniors.
Vaughan is already staying for 2022

George Sancti

Juniors

Keep

Eddie Blacker
Billy Brittain
Cody Ramsey

Let Go
Matt Dufty
Kaide Ellis
Tyrell Fuimaono
Cameron McInnes
Trent Merrin
Corey Norman
Jordan Pereira
Brayden Wiliame

I like your strategy of front ending new (or extension) contracts possm. By virtue of investing our spare 2021 cap space in a front end structured contract arrangement, it will reduce the club's contract commitments for 2022 and 2023. This should give our CEO a greater scope to negotiate with potential recruits.

Gareth67

First Grade

Keep

Eddie Blacker
Billy Brittain
Cody Ramsey

Let Go
Matt Dufty
Kaide Ellis
Tyrell Fuimaono
Cameron McInnes
Trent Merrin
Corey Norman
Jordan Pereira
Brayden Wiliame

Possum I agree with what you have said however there are a number of players that I would definitely be keeping from your ‘ reject ‘ list .

Matt Duffy - Cameron McInnes and I still believe that Jordan Pereira has what it takes . He , as the other 2 gentleman only require the services of a good coach to not only bring out the best in them , but also to make their job just that bit little bit easier by having the entire team share the workload - more so in McInnes case .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A lot of assumptions based solely on how these players played, were coached and were instructed under the previous regime.

We haven't seen ANY player current or contract due, perform under the new coach & co. Agree there are a couple under real pressure to be re-signed, however, bod has to apply, at least until we see our 'new' style of play, game plans etc.

There's also the balance of youth v experience. I think we saw that in the Knights who dipped too far to one side.

Hook has stated he wants players who want to play for the jersey not just someone who wants a pay packet. Proof of that is in who we ultimately didn't sign even though we were well into negotiations.
Big money players wont come to play CC (although some should be) and juniors won't hang around 'waiting' their opportunity. There's a very fine line in balancing salary cap and players expectations.

A few astute signings, yes by all means. But let's not try to 'buy' 1 premiership when we could have our own dynasty and win many.

possm

Coach
Possum I agree with what you have said however there are a number of players that I would definitely be keeping from your ‘ reject ‘ list .

Matt Duffy - Cameron McInnes and I still believe that Jordan Pereira has what it takes . He , as the other 2 gentleman only require the services of a good coach to not only bring out the best in them , but also to make their job just that bit little bit easier by having the entire team share the workload - more so in McInnes case .
My thoughts are that Dufty will not cut the mustard in 2021 and spend the majority of his time in Canterbury Cup. Dufty will find another club and request an early release.

Ramsey will take Dufty's place at fullback and Matt Feagai will grab the left wing spot leaving Pereira in Canterbury Cup and not offered an extension.

McInnes will request an early release and this will be granted by the Dragons if they can secure B Smith for season 2021.

Dufty and Mcinnes definitely should be keeper JP had the misfortune to play outside Aitken who had no passing game. JP had to cut in more often than not because he was cramped for room on the outside. JP is not as slow as people make out. Griffin could bring out the best in him..

rasaint

Juniors
Kiwi Dragon disagree on Jordan P. He is a slow winger.

No problem with his commitment and courage in a game. He returns the ball strongly.

I believe you need genuine speed on the wings these days. Admittedly Nighty was a slow for a winger and went very well.

Gareth67

First Grade
Kiwi Dragon disagree on Jordan P. He is a slow winger.

No problem with his commitment and courage in a game. He returns the ball strongly.

I believe you need genuine speed on the wings these days. Admittedly Nighty was a slow for a winger and went very well.

He is a big strong chap and when he does return the ball he takes some stopping , although as you say he certainly Iacks speed . Still a good bench player should one of the speedsters is injured .

Latest posts