What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons statement: Player breach

Gardenia

Juniors
So Abdo says no bio security breach as only players in attendance but obviously a breach of protocols has taken place. If this is the case anything harsher than fines would be yet another instance of Dragons being treated more harshly than other clubs. I honestly hope the club tell the NRL if they suspend the 12 players we’ll be forfeiting all games while they are missing.
We may have no choice I’m trying to see how we can forks a team. If any get injured we will have to forfeit

blue bags

First Grade
Yes assuming they are all from the bubble and are already in contact with each other. If Harvey Norman is considered an essential service that anyone can enter unmasked then so should a birthday party celebration amongst bubbled people.
but the covid rules, law,
NRL rules
having a party, police attending twice, not essential

Simon

Juniors
If any of our replacements get injured we can’t field a team and we will have to forfeit
If level 4 restrictions stay in effect for the NRL and the bbq guys are ruled out we may not have enough players in the bubble full stop.
If new players need 2 weeks quarantine to get into the bubble we’re going to need exceptions just to play. Any isolation period may mean the new guys entering the bubble can’t train before they play even if the 2 weeks is slightly reduced.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Dugan copped a big $25000 fine. Was he stood down from matches?

Abdo has said each circumstance is different, and in the case there were no outsiders at the party you could argue that their crime was less than Dugan's, who went out for dinner with friends I believe.

Not defending but in matters like these you got to look at the facts, and technically the Dragons players no less guilty than Dugan so the precedent is set. Please point out if I have missed something.

FlameThrower

Bench
As usual the Dragons will be the NRL whipping boys. We hold no sway in the NRL. our Club is soft and our players are dumb. It’s mind blowing to think they thought this was going to be ok. And cap it off by drawing attention of the Police to the house due to noise complaints from neighbours.
I don’t know what the CEO/ Board or Coaching staff will be able to do. Over this joke of a Club.....season is over.

FlameThrower

Bench
Dugan copped a big $25000 fine. Was he stood down from matches?

Abdo has said each circumstance is different, and in the case there were no outsiders at the party you could argue that their crime was less than Dugan's, who went out for dinner with friends I believe.

Not defending but in matters like these you got to look at the facts, and technically the Dragons players no less guilty than Dugan so the precedent is set. Please point out if I have missed something.
You forgot we are the Dragons, we always cop the rough end of the pineapple ...

mickeylane

Bench
The worst part of this is how many of them were involved.

Now to see if from another point of view: If everyone who was at Vaughn's house was part of the "bubble" then the risk or infection was basically zero....that is assuming no one from outside of the bubble had been at vaughns house earlier in the day or two before. It would be like they were sitting in a dressing room having the gathering -- I'm talking from the risk of infection point of view.

Looking at it that way, Dugan attending an Eastern suburbs restaurant (those suburbs a known hotspot last week) is 1000x more risky in terms of infection and then coming back into the playing group and passing it on and causing an absolute mess.

I'm not defending the players. The level of stupidity to do what they did does not need to be said and they deserve all punishment. However, taking the emotions out of it from the moral side of things, looking at it logically; if the only people who were there were in the "bubble" then what they did was a very very very low risk thing in terms of covid-19.

But they broke the law (both government and NRL), and that's what this is really being judged on..... As it should may I add.
I do believe the players probably thought we are amongst ourselves who are all part of the bubble so it would be ok...i would be surprised if there were any outsiders at the party apart from players and partners - in saying that the partners would be considered outsiders to other players? ..there could be an honest mistake here made by the players as surely they couldn't be this stupid....... :(

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Irrespective of : if there were no members of the public there, or you see more people at Bunnings, Harvey Normans, Down at Bondi Beach or local coffee shops without masks or social distancing....or its no different than having beers in the dressing sheds....the bottom line is they broke the rules with Covid.....seriously they MUST have known that it was wrong....in all honesty did they really think that they could get away with it with that number of players in attendance without getting dobbed in by neighbours or whoever....I just cant come to grips with how idiotic and stupid that that many blokes could be....it defies logic that people can be that naive or just plain stupid or worse just dont give a stuff about the consequences .....

Gareth67

First Grade
What I do not understand is did Vaughan approach any club official to ensure that the party could go ahead with the restrictions currently in place ?

Also if anyone of those eleven players have had contact with another person- in whatever capacity- from another club , then they have not only jeopardized the Dragons season , but the entire NRL season itself .

And perhaps that is the way that the game’s governing body will be looking at the situation.

Griffin must be tearing his hair out about now .

Last edited: