What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Team For Round 18

marty_dragon

Juniors
id rather saffy, webb, reynoldson or thorby on the bench rather than prior ...hasent done much realy although he was touted as one to watch by our coaching staff.

Vince

Juniors
Why do we always wear the away strip against Canberra? This has happened the last few seasons home-and-away too. Is it to do with the fact they were admitted to the NSWRL at the same time for some kind of faux-rivalry, or just for sh*ts and giggles?

marty_dragon

Juniors
we dont usually play well i that strip from what i can remember....the last time we won in it was against the raiders at win ... so hopefully we can continue the trend !

Syren

Juniors
id rather saffy, webb, reynoldson or thorby on the bench rather than prior ...hasent done much realy although he was touted as one to watch by our coaching staff.

He had limited game time and that was his 2nd game, so go easy on the lad :D

Nothing special so far though.

Why are Dell and Thorby playing for the bears this weekend, do they think the Bears will offer these guys a stronger game rather than letting them play for the Marlins etc..???

I'm presuming this is the reserve grade bears that reecey just left from..

A poster says that the coach Jimmy LENIHAN used to play for us?

watatank

Coach
Why are Dell and Thorby playing for the bears this weekend, do they think the Bears will offer these guys a stronger game rather than letting them play for the Marlins etc..???

Burleight Bears, not North Sydney Bears. Queensland Cup is stronger than both Jim Beam and Illawarra competitions so its probably the best option. Still, NSW Cup side would be ideal.

This Year?

Immortal
J Moz to get a double...if they don't take advantage of Colin Worst's defence they'll be mad.

Last edited:

Sir Biffo

Bench

I'd say QLD cup is a better standard than the NSW Cup, and far higher than the Illawarra Comp. You've got Tweed & Ipswich who are both feeders for the Titans, Souths Logan feeding the Raiders and now Burleigh feeding the Dragons. Some pretty handy players running around - Costigan, Te Reo, Lacey, Seage, Perry...

j0nesy

Bench
Not sure why you think the Illawarra competition is so weak, the majority of the Dragon's good young players come through the Illawarra or South Coast competitions. Even the NSW team had Stewart, Cooper, Fitzgibbon
and Hornby. I'm pretty sure there was one other that I missed.

Not sure why you think the Illawarra competition is so weak, the majority of the Dragon's good young players come through the Illawarra or South Coast competitions. Even the NSW team had Stewart, Cooper, Fitzgibbon
Good stomping grounds, definately!!!

But i think it's in reference to which level is best to put fringe/returning from injury players who need the best weekend game alternative if they are not in the NRL..

j0nesy

Bench
Good stomping grounds, definately!!!

But i think it's in reference to which level is best to put fringe/returning from injury players who need the best weekend game alternative if they are not in the NRL..

Yeah I'd say the QLD and NSW cup are stronger competitions, they definitely have more player depth. However I don't think they are "far stronger" as was suggested. There are plenty of good young players, fringe players and out of favour NRL players running around the Illawarra / South Coast. I strongly believe that Newcastle / Hunter and Illawarra / South Coast are the junior heart and soul of NSW rugby league.

once a player is in the top 25, they are ineligible for the shellharbour marlins (jim beam cup). Not sure why they wouldn't be playing in the NSW cup though - do the dragons have a (feeder) team in the NSW cup?

once a player is in the top 25, they are ineligible for the shellharbour marlins (jim beam cup). Not sure why they wouldn't be playing in the NSW cup though - do the dragons have a (feeder) team in the NSW cup?
I wouldn't think that we would, we would definately buy players in them but the current teams all feed to other NRL teams..

watatank

Coach

Illawarra isn't a weak competition but it certainly isn't particularly strong compared to Queensland Cup and NSW Cup IMO. Loads more experience and you all have players pushing for first grade spots, many of which train full time with the top squad just doesn't really compare to those who train once or twice a week for a fun game on the weekend. I have no doubt if you made an Illawarra representative team they would be very competitive though.

Btw, Illawarra/South Coast players currently playing NRL

1. Brett Stewart (Wests Illawarra)
2. Brett Morris (Kiama)
3. Keith Lulia (Port Kembla)
4. Matt Cooper (Shellharbour)
5. Josh Morris (Kiama)
6. Ben Hornby (Corrimal)
7. Matt Head (Dapto)
8. Luke Bailey (Shellharbour)
9. Dean Young (Dapto)
10. Jason Ryles (Wests Illawarra/Berkeley)
11. Craig Fitzgibbon (Dapto)
12. Ashton Sims (Gerringong)
13. Ben Creagh (Wollongong University)

14. Dan Hunt (Shellharbour)
15. Justin Poore (Helensburgh)
16. Glenn Stewart (Wests Illawarra)
17. Steve Southern (Dapto)

Luke Patten was an Illawarra junior (Corrimal?) too, feel free to add to the list if you want

watatank

Coach

No we don't. Our players are scattered all over the Illawarra competition and JBC

Latest posts