What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Team For Round 18

marty_dragon

Juniors
Gasnier & Cooper Return for Illawarra Heritage Match

St George Bank Dragons captain Mark Gasnier along with NSW Origin centre Matt Cooper will this week both return from injury to take on the Raiders in the Illawarra Heritage match at WIN Stadium this Sunday.
The match will recognise the first International match played at the Wollongong Showground between Great Britain and the Southern Division in 1946. The match was won 15-12 by the Southern Division side. Players who played in the match, Gregg Dennis, Bob Bartlett, Gus Miller and Albert Nicholls will all be in attendance this weekend.
Gasnier returns to the side which pushes Josh Morris out on the wing with Wendell Sailor being omitted from the squad. Cooper pushes Chase Stanley into the back row and Jarrod Saffy back on to a six-man interchange bench.
Unavailable Dragons are: Ben Creagh (quad) Rnd 19

NRL

v Canberra Raiders
2.00pm Sunday 13 July
WIN Stadium

Coach: Nathan Brown

1. Brett MORRIS
2. Jason NIGHTINGALE
3. Mark GASNIER (c)
4. Matt COOPER
5. Josh MORRIS
6. Jamie SOWARD
7. Ben HORNBY
8. Justin POORE
9. Dean YOUNG
10. Jason RYLES
11. Beau SCOTT
12. Chase STANLEY
13. Lagi SETU

14. Kirk REYNOLDSON
15. Dan HUNT
16. Jarrod SAFFY
17. Rangi CHASE
18. Matt PRIOR
19. Stuart WEBB

thommo4pm

Coach
I wouldn't start with Stanley in the backrow.
I'd bring him on from the bench if we are going to play him in the backrow.

smacky

Juniors
shame that dell got cut but probably best for the team untill hes improved his fitness. Only worry for me is stanley at 2nd row id rather reyno or webb there but we can still put up a good performance!

petetheileet

First Grade
good looking side, cant believe they left dell out...

lol oh wells its a good problem to have i guess.

Cant believe all Creaghs niggling injuries. Didnt he play every match last season???

marty_dragon

Juniors
id rather keep him fresh for the storm than risk further injury against the raiders ... ye he did play every game last year and i thought he would have been very flat coming into this season but he proved me wrong !

Willow

Assistant Moderator
St George Illawarra Dragons V Canberra Raiders
Sunday 13 July 2008 14:00 - WIN Stadium
Referee: Tony De Las Heras
Touch Judges: Mohamad Fajajo, Peter Kirby
Video Referee: Graeme West
DRAGONS: 1. Brett Morris 2. Jason Nightingale 3. Mark Gasnier 4. Matt Cooper 5. Josh Morris 6. Jamie Soward 7. Ben Hornby 8. Justin Poore 9. Dean Young 10. Jason Ryles 11. Beau Scott 12. Chase Stanley 13. Lagi Setu
Interchange: 14. Kirk Reynoldson 15. Dan Hunt 16. Jarrod Saffy 17. Rangi Chase; Reserves: 18. Matt Prior 19. Stuart Webb
RAIDERS: 1. David Milne 2. Colin Best 3. Marshall Chalk 4. Joel Monaghan 5. Adrian Purtell 6. Terry Campese 7. Todd Carney (c) 8. Troy Thompson 9. Glen Buttriss 10. Dane Tilse 11. Glen Turner 12. Josh Miller 13. Joe Picker
Interchange: 14. Nigel Plum 15. Ryan Hinchcliffe 16. Scott Logan 17. Michael Weyman; Reserves: 18. Neville Costigan 19. Trevor Thurling

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=16559

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hi Guys,

Whats the story on the ref. Anyone know anything about him.

GO
Tony De Las Heras was stage on the footy show last year and tried his hand at "That's L'Amore".

He can't sing.

One of those tragic TV moments.

thommo4pm

Coach
Agree Godz....
I don't think we have had a home Sunday afternoon game this season have we?
We had the Roosters on a Friday for Anzac day, but we haven't had a day home game at WIN and not many day games at all in general this season.

Can't wait for the Sunday arvo game down at WIN stadium. :D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Oh, and the jury is still out regarding his credentials as a professional NRL referee.

He copped a serve from both sides after his handling of the Saints v Cowboys match earlier this year.

The match was marked by numerous penalties (10-6 in favour of St George Illawarra), and a number of decisions from referee Tony de las Heras and video referee Graeme West which at times had supporters on both sides scratching their heads.

Match Details
Round 5 - April 12th, 2008 5:30pm
Venue: WIN Stadium
Referee: Tony de las Heras
Crowd: 11,639
Half time: Cowboys 8-6

St George Illawarra Dragons 16
Tries: Jamie Soward, Jason Nightingale, Stuart Webb
Goals: Jamie Soward (2/2), Mark Gasnier (0/1)
North Queensland Cowboys 20
Tries: Johnathan Thurston, Anthony Watts, Justin Smith
Goals: Johnathan Thurston (4/4)

http://dragons.leagueunlimited.com/season/2008/report08_05.php

Godz Illa

Coach
Souths at ANZ, was their home game though.

Lack of afternoon games is a major problem with the NRL imo. With so many night games in the middle of winter, obviously it's gonna effect crowd numbers.

watatank

Coach
id rather keep him fresh for the storm than risk further injury against the raiders ... ye he did play every game last year and i thought he would have been very flat coming into this season but he proved me wrong !

He was very flat coming into this season though. He got better as the season went on.

Godz Illa

Coach
Picked up an injury in round one and missed a few weeks. The Parra game was the one where he really began to hit his old form.

Mr Red

First Grade
probably our strongest possible team except for stanley in the back row who will make way for Ben Creagh when he returns.
lets hope Brown lets the players play in the positions they are named in and doesn't try any of his over complicated solutions...