What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to target million-dollar Titan as Hunt talks continue.

possm

Coach
Agree that the Dragons desperately need some forward star power but is Fifita the one who can bring it?- Holbrook is highly regarded as a man manager coach but Fifita has spluttered rather than fired under his leadership . Can't imagine Hook getting any more out of him- unless of course we have a new coach by then.
Fifita will blossom living with his girlfriend in the gong. In my opinion, Fifita and a top-grade prop is exactly what we need to match in the forwards.

Trifili13

Juniors
At 700 to 800k, yes I would have a crack at Fifita. At 1m no. If the Dragon's are prepared to soend 1m on a forward I would have a crack at Fisher-Harris, Tapine, Tino Fa'asuamaleau and many others that I think would actually cost less than 1m and give more value for money week in week out.

Rod Coil

Juniors
At 700 to 800k, yes I would have a crack at Fifita. At 1m no. If the Dragon's are prepared to soend 1m on a forward I would have a crack at Fisher-Harris, Tapine, Tino Fa'asuamaleau and many others that I think would actually cost less than 1m and give more value for money week in week out.
Agree, it’s a yes from me for Tapine. He is worth every cent.

blacksafake

First Grade
Interesting it's voted on by the players. I'm surprised Alex Johnston doesn't get much recognition, blokes scored 83 tries in the last 3 years.
I’m certainly not knocking him & he’s a good finisher but I think the majority of his tries are just catch the ball & put down.

saintly1996

Juniors
Haha. Did I question his effort? No I didn't. I questioned his ability. He's an average player who tries hard. Fifita, whilst obviously different styles of back-rower, is better. I suggest you watch the state of origin highlights from this year if you'd like to see his glaring deficiencies, particularly in defence. So.. by your logic a player that tries hard is of better value than a player of quality. Why don't we just field a team of Blake Lawrie like players in the pack? We'd get pumped. So don't come at me with Do YoU uNdErStAnD tHe GaMe
So champ for Martin
Game 1 50 tackles 4 missed, game 2 20 tackles 3 missed and game 3 40 tackles 3 missed.

Wouldnt have thought that was too bad,

How many did Fifita make and miss in SOO.

Parko1310

Juniors
So champ for Martin
Game 1 50 tackles 4 missed, game 2 20 tackles 3 missed and game 3 40 tackles 3 missed.

Wouldnt have thought that was too bad,

How many did Fifita make and miss in SOO.
Mate.. really? Those aren't good stats... 4 missed tackles is quite poor. 3 missed considering only 20 made as well is very poor... and again 3 missed in game 3. I'm going to assume you didn't watch those highlights or if you did chose to ignore the clear mistakes he made. If we want to compare players, David Fifita's tackle efficiency this year was 91.3%. Liam Martin is at 87.7%. Keep in mind also Liam Martin's team is one of the best at holding possession, whereas Fifita's is worse, meaning he is under more fatigue defensively yet is still more efficient. In comparison also, Kikau, who is widely known to be a defensive liability still has a higher tackle efficiency than teammate Martin. Martin's poor defence goes unrecognised by fan's not actually watching his game because they're told he's so good. Our very own Jaydn Su'a... higher tackle efficiency. Tariq sims also had a higher efficiency. The list just goes on... the reality is martin is overrated.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Fifita will blossom living with his girlfriend in the gong. In my opinion, Fifita and a top-grade prop is exactly what we need to match in the forwards.
I suppose looking at a D Fifita signing from a different perspective, at this stage the only two second rowers we have signed for next year are Su’a & Burns. If the choice is Burns or Fifita I’m taking Fifita.

For mine Jack Bird’s best position is lock with de Belin playing prop.

Props signed for 2023

de Belin
Lawrie
F Molo
M Molo
Sharon
J Hunt
Kerr
Burgess (I think?)

With Fifita starting that’s a decent pack

8 de Belin
9 Liddle
10 Lawrie
11 Su'a
12 Fifita
13 Bird

14 Sharon
15 F Molo
16 M Molo
17 Mbye/McCullough

Last edited:

saintly1996

Juniors
Mate.. really? Those aren't good stats... 4 missed tackles is quite poor. 3 missed considering only 20 made as well is very poor... and again 3 missed in game 3. I'm going to assume you didn't watch those highlights or if you did chose to ignore the clear mistakes he made. If we want to compare players, David Fifita's tackle efficiency this year was 91.3%. Liam Martin is at 87.7%. Keep in mind also Liam Martin's team is one of the best at holding possession, whereas Fifita's is worse, meaning he is under more fatigue defensively yet is still more efficient. In comparison also, Kikau, who is widely known to be a defensive liability still has a higher tackle efficiency than teammate Martin. Martin's poor defence goes unrecognised by fan's not actually watching his game because they're told he's so good. Our very own Jaydn Su'a... higher tackle efficiency. Tariq sims also had a higher efficiency. The list just goes on... the reality is martin is overrated.
Yes I have seen the highlights and you are delusional if you think It was his fault in the 1st 3 tries. You would be the only bloke in Aust who would blame Martin for the 1st try, 99.9% would blame Crighton
4 missed tackles in 50 made that's bad, seriously, you use 87.7 efficiency for your argument, not the 90.9% for SOO this year.
When you put kick pressure on like he does, you are bound to miss some tackles.

Parko1310

Juniors
Yes I have seen the highlights and you are delusional if you think It was his fault in the 1st 3 tries. You would be the only bloke in Aust who would blame Martin for the 1st try, 99.9% would blame Crighton
4 missed tackles in 50 made that's bad, seriously, you use 87.7 efficiency for your argument, not the 90.9% for SOO this year.
When you put kick pressure on like he does, you are bound to miss some tackles.
kick pressure on like he does?? he didn't even have a single charge down this year?? Statistically worst second rower in the comp in terms of missed tackles... top 25 for ineffective tackles. doesn't crack the top 50 in terms of one positive attacking stat.. top 50 for penalties conceded. Also didn't say it was his fault for first try?? hahah there is no valid argument for you. I said he didn't bother to chase and put pressure on holmes whereas tedesco did. Where did I blame him for the try scored?? There's just no validity in any of your points...

blacksafake

First Grade
I reckon there's a bit more to it than that, his positioning is second to none.
True
But he’d be silly not to stay out there waiting for those inside to weave their magic & accept the ball from GI, Walker, Reynolds, Latrell etc.
If he was playing for us for example it’d be a different story Re his numbers.

Like I said it’s not a case of bagging him but how often do you see him beat a couple of defenders to score.

Mojo

Bench
I wonder what a Fifita blossom will look like?

Gareth67

First Grade
This looks like a more exciting starting pack:

Molo
Hunt
Lawrie
Fifita
Sua
JDB
Agree mickey , the Dragons require Molo as the starting prop , he would be another Leeson Ah Mau once he gets the bit between his teeth.

Hunt hooker and the rest of your pack are in their correct positions also . Not the best pack going around , but one that at least would offer some resistance against other teams .

possm

Coach
Agree mickey , the Dragons require Molo as the starting prop , he would be another Leeson Ah Mau once he gets the bit between his teeth.

Hunt hooker and the rest of your pack are in their correct positions also . Not the best pack going around , but one that at least would offer some resistance against other teams .
It seems to me that the Dragons need to off-load Hunt to fund the recruitment of Fifita. With Sims moving to Melbourne, his cap can be used to recruit a top-grade prop, and it is in my opinion that De Belin's future now lies in the prop position with Bird moving to lock.
1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. avalawa
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. New proop
9. Robson
10. De Belin
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Bird

14. Mbye
15. F Molo
16. Lawrie
17. M Molo

18. Burgess / Coric
19. Burns
20. Max Feagai
21. Sloan

possm

Coach
Sorry can’t get that excited with Fifita.
I understand however, just think of the alternative:
Burns in for Sims.
Hunt at halfback (not the end of the world)
Sullivan to the Dogs or Dolphins.

A swap of Hunt for Fifita negates the problem on the left edge and assists with the retention of Sulivan and possibly the recruitment of Robson and a new prop.

I think even with the loss of Hunt, we would have a much better pack of forwards that talented players like Sullivan and Amone could gain confidence to play at a much higher level even with the current lack of NRL experience. I consider this to be a decision for the long-term benefit of the squad.

Latest posts