What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to target million-dollar Titan as Hunt talks continue.

possm

Coach
There's a lot of hate for Ben Hunt here. I don't know why. He hasn't kept anyone out of the side. He hasn't let the side down with his performances on the field. I'd argue he doesn't owe St George anything given how the Board of Directors have managed to gather together a team of uncompetitive numpties for him to captain. He wants more money for playing with the Dragons? So would I if I was in his position. He's not going to get any 3rd party business happening, or the opportunity to play with great players, or the chance to aim for championship glory any time soon.
Well, I don't know about TPA at SGI, maybe we do have players receiving such sponsorship.

Hunt has made demands that should not be tolerated and for this, I do not believe he is a good fit for our Club anymore; especially as our Captain. Hunt:
Wants a clause in his contract to ensure Griffin remains as coach.
Hunt wants to be assured that he plays 7 not 9.
Hunt wants to be paid around the 1m mark and knocked back an offer of 800k.

I say, let him go. Release him on our terms for 2023. If possible swap hoim for a player we want and need.

justadragon

Bench
In all fairness Hunt should have been and still should be the halfback. You can't play two rookies in the halves. We had an essentially full strength outfit against a second grade Brisbane team but played two rookies in the halves because hunt was out for origin and lost. I'm prepared to say we win that game if Hunt plays halfback. Once Amone gets more games under his belt, then and only then, can you pair him and sullivan in the halves on a week to week basis.

Everyone seems to want all the young guns chucked into the team all at once, and in starting roles too. Terrible thinking as far as I'm concerned. Lets not forget that when the knights were getting spoon after spoon they had a team absolutely stacked with young juniors. They got battered every week, and tell me where those guys are now. No confidence, no contract. Park footy players.

In regard to McCollough, he is one of the bottom three hookers in the NRL in my opinion. But seriously, who else were you going to play there? Sullivan needs experience as a HALF in reserve grade first of all. And the suggestion of playing a rotation with Mbye and Sullivan is some of the biggest garbage i've ever heard. That would be shocking to watch and the middle defence would be even weaker than it is now. Now, I could accept given that Sullivan has had a bit of reserve grade experience at half that he could be the 14 at some stage next season, but giving him the starting hooker or half role is ludicrous. Liddle should be our starting hooker next year with no questions asked. 14 can be fought for by Sullivan, Mbye and McCollough.

The disrespect for Hunt at times is appalling. Whilst I do agree that if he's asking for more than 850k a year we should let him go, I'd argue that point because then we can stock our forwards up and Amone will be close if not past 50 first grade games by 2024 meaning he is better equipped to partner Sullivan. Without a doubt though, Hunt should be the halfback next season at the very least.
I agree with what you say, I think the majority would want Sullivan at 14 every week and interchange with hunt during the game at different times, it makes sense for our future to do this.

possm

Coach
I would like Fifita also poss. however the dollars need to be at the right price , so as to be able to afford another top line forward .

Our problem for many a season now has been paying overs for quality players and then being hamstrung for quite a few years afterwards as we simply cannot afford anyone else.

Our recruitment really need to have a firm grasp on the club’s wallet , using common sense on just how much they outlay for new recruits .
Hunt's salary cap (1m) for Fifita's salary cap (1m).
Sims salary cap (800K) plus dollars for a prop and Robson

So that is 3 new forwards that can be paid for out of our cap. These 3 players could very well transform our pack of forwards:

Props
New prop
De Belin
F Molo
Lawrie
Coric
Woods
Burgess

Hooker
Robson
Liddel
McCullough

Backrow
Fifita
Su'A
Bird
Burns

Wizardman

First Grade
A resourceful club would have signed Hunt on $750K and he would have been very happy (wink wink).
But we are not a resourceful club - we are Souths of the 70-00
We are the old aged transit lounge and retirement home.
It wont be till we win a couple of spoons or 2047 (whichever comes first) that we will see a Red/White Knight come along.
Sadly by then we could be a shadow of our previous greatness.
hate to break it to you sports fans.......but St George have not been "great" since the 1960's!!!

Qdf

Juniors
But nobody is blaming Hunt. We have a lot of talent in the team. It's the coach who is responsible and accountable - and he's been playing a busted hooker while keeping Hunt at 7, thereby stalling Sullivan's development. It's Hook that is an uncompetitive numpty IMO.
Think Hook is stubborn,pigheaded and ignorant. We had to put up with bludging Corey Norman last year getting picked week after week. Now this year its that Snail McCullough. Obviously way past their use by date. Don't know why this fixation with his under 20's Broncos team from years gone by?

Gareth67

First Grade
I think that is a bit unfair as they have been in finals contention for a number of years since then and of course, they won the comp in 77,79 and 2010.
You bet it’s bluudy unfair ! Why even back in 2018 our ex - Mary had our team firing like a well oiled machine , with every component tuned to perfection .

The only reason the Dragons never got the chocolates that year was because the refs were biased against our boys .

With Griffin proving to be an abject failure I believe the time is now right in tempting our old maestro back home .
☺️

denis preston

First Grade
You bet it’s bluudy unfair ! Why even back in 2018 our ex - Mary had our team firing like a well oiled machine , with every component tuned to perfection .

The only reason the Dragons never got the chocolates that year was because the refs were biased against our boys .

With Griffin proving to be an abject failure I believe the time is now right in tempting our old maestro back home .
☺️
Thats not how I recalled it. Started like a house on fire and went limply into the semis and pulled two games out of our arse.

Gareth67

First Grade
Thats not how I recalled it. Started like a house on fire and went limply into the semis and pulled two games out of our arse.
Now Dennis I am not saying that the man was in the same class as Gibson , Bennett , Bellamy or evening Toddy Payton , but at least his heart was true red and white .

Qdf

Juniors
Now Dennis I am not saying that the man was in the same class as Gibson , Bennett , Bellamy or evening Toddy Payton , but at least his heart was true red and white .
Can't believe your even mentioned Mary in the same breath as Bennett,Bellamy & Gibson.Mary was just as bad
as Hook, with his selections.
Jake Makato & that log Latermore, comes to mind getting picked week after week. Mary loved the "yes" men , catering to his ego.

Illusion

Bench
Can't believe your even mentioned Mary in the same breath as Bennett,Bellamy & Gibson.Mary was just as bad
as Hook, with his selections.
Jake Makato & that log Latermore, comes to mind getting picked week after week. Mary loved the "yes" men , catering to his ego.
Again I don't blame Mary or Hook, it's the wankers that employed them , then extended their contracts ...... And it's looking the same with the Hunt extension for big money after he had one good year ......

mickeylane

Bench
If Hunt signs the extension Suli will ask for immediate release and head to Bulldogs - this is common knowledge in league circles that this will happen .. Liddle has hooked spot wrapt up so Suli won’t be at 9 ..
Hunt beyond 2023 is not a viable option no chance …

denis preston

First Grade
If Hunt signs the extension Suli will ask for immediate release and head to Bulldogs - this is common knowledge in league circles that this will happen .. Liddle has hooked spot wrapt up so Suli won’t be at 9 ..
Hunt beyond 2023 is not a viable option no chance …
What , our centre ? If it is Sullivan , they will hold him to his contract but he shows no indication of asking for a release so I don't know where you got that from.

Qdf

Juniors
Again I don't blame Mary or Hook, it's the wankers that employed them , then extended their contracts ...... And it's looking the same with the Hunt extension for big money after he had one good year ......
Yes have agree.
Our dumb arse Board, giving directions to our football committee, it makes me sick to even thing about how these dickheads have ruined our club.

Latest posts