What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Trials for 2006

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I understand they'll be playng one of the trials at WIN.

And there's the Charity Shield at SFS offcourse.

Don't know about any others yet.

Rylesy

Juniors
Thanks Willow!!! I am interested to see if they are going to play one away, in the country.... I smell hopefully a road trip on the way!!!

MattJ

Juniors
Willow said:
I understand they'll be playng one of the trials at WIN.

And there's the Charity Shield at SFS offcourse.

Don't know about any others yet.

At the souths fan info night last week it was revealed charity shield will be played at Telstra next year. Interestingly, the scg trust claim to have registered the name charity shield and have told the club that the game can no longer be under that title if it is not played at Aussie.
Shane Richardson dismissed this and says it will still be named the charity shield.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
MattJ said:
At the souths fan info night last week it was revealed charity shield will be played at Telstra next year. Interestingly, the scg trust claim to have registered the name charity shield and have told the club that the game can no longer be under that title if it is not played at Aussie.
Shane Richardson dismissed this and says it will still be named the charity shield.
Hmmm. Interesting.
What business does the SCG Trust have in owning the name? That is apart from using it as leverage.

The Charity Shield was going before the SFS was built. But having said that, I prefer it at the SFS.

If Telstra is now Souths home ground, does that mean we can push for having it played at Kogarah or WIN in 2007?

I remember when the Charity Shield was played at Redfern Oval in front of piddly little crowds. Funny how traditions are fought over when the bucks become involved. ;-)

MattJ

Juniors
Willow said:
Hmmm. Interesting.
What business does the SCG Trust have in owning the name? That is apart from using it as leverage.

The Charity Shield was going before the SFS was built. But having said that, I prefer it at the SFS.

If Telstra is now Souths home ground, does that mean we can push for having it played at Kogarah or WIN in 2007?

I remember when the Charity Shield was played at Redfern Oval in front of piddly little crowds. Funny how traditions are fought over when the bucks become involved. ;-)

I agree completely about the scg trust, no business in my opinion, very arrogant for them to try and claim ownership of the name of something thats been around far longer than there involvment with it.
As for the dragons pushing for alternative home games to play it each year... that seems pretty reasonable to me, it means just as much to both our teams.
Richardson also pointed out at the fan night, that all of our home games will be telstra next year, which i assume means our annual game at the scg may be finished as well. Maybe the dragons will take there home game there for it this time around, other than that, i dont see it happening. Its a big shame to lose that fixture just for the nostalgia involved in the day alone.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Oh well if they want to have a little stinky over the name - there is a really simple solution:

In the UK, they kick off the soccer season with a game between the FA Cup holders and the Premiership winners.

It was called the Charity Sheild until a few years ago where there was a stink about where the money was being allocated to...

They did a quick name change to the Community Shield, and and problem solved