What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons V Broncos *spoiler*

Dragons_#1

Bench
we can never win a game wen it looks like we are on a role, it is pissing me off how we come so close to being a threat to teh leaders then lose a crutial game.

*Please dont post results in the title before the game is over
RedDragon*

Evilgrowler

First Grade
Dragons_#1 said:
we can never win a game wen it looks like we are on a role, it is pissing me off how we come so close to being a threat to teh leaders then lose a crutial game.

I tell you mate, you can probably put it down to Origin. I often say "Origin is no excuse" and we proved that last year when we beat the Roosters and Raiders during our Origin series and I think most of those games were Friday night games.

The players themselves have said they prefer to play 2 days after an Origin. It's much harder to play a hard game 3 or 4 days after a game thats as brutal as Origin can be. We've had 16 years to get something in place to deal with Origin season as far as training and preparation goes.

You can be sure, because of Wednesday night, your team suffered and the injuries to Barrett and others tonight certainly didn't help.

weasel

First Grade
We're awful in the rain. While no doubt we're probably one of the most dangerous sides in the comp on a good day I'm sure we're also the stupidest side by a wide margin when the situation calls for conservative football. So many of the errors we made tonight you wouldn't expect to see from a ten year old. The loss dents our top four ambitions but the performance really didn't give much of an indication of where we're currently at. Shame about Barrett getting injured.

Simon

Juniors
We played really dumb football tonight. We still thought we could play the ball quickly and we spilt it all the time. In the wet you have to make sure you hold onto the football and maybe sacrifice the really quick play the ball. Brisbane did this, we didn't and we suffered the consequences. Hopefully our players will smarten up before we play in the wet again.

Jamesy

Juniors
weasel said:
We're awful in the rain.

I wouldn't say we're aweful in the rain. We still managed to score close to fifty against the Knights and it was absolutley pissing down that day. I know the Kinghts were a depleated side but I still would have taken some effort to score that many tries.

Anonymous

Juniors
The Broncos simply handled the conditions better while Saints were inept and had little go forward.
Brisbane kept turning us around with their kicking game.
Watching the handling errors was just plain frustrating.

Anonymous

Juniors
Evilgrowler said:
Dragons_#1 said:

I tell you mate, you can probably put it down to Origin. I often say "Origin is no excuse" and we proved that last year when we beat the Roosters and Raiders during our Origin series and I think most of those games were Friday night games.

The players themselves have said they prefer to play 2 days after an Origin. It's much harder to play a hard game 3 or 4 days after a game thats as brutal as Origin can be. We've had 16 years to get something in place to deal with Origin season as far as training and preparation goes.

You can be sure, because of Wednesday night, your team suffered and the injuries to Barrett and others tonight certainly didn't help.
I agree that players look better just after a high intensity match like Origin. They tend to take more than two days to come down from that and imo, it's almost an advantage to have players backing up from Origin two days later... as long they aren't carrying too many injuries.

The only problem here is that both sides had a number of players backing up from Origin.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I don't think I've seen Saints play as lacklustre & flat as that all year, the Canberra & melburne games included. Whether it was a combination of Origin, the weather or whatever, it's no excuse because Brisbane were experiencing the same conditins as well.

I don't think Saints' game-plan was the right one for the wet weather & I don't think that the players were "up" for the game. Very dissapointing.

I suppose the only "positive" you can take from the game is that Saints weren't hammered by Brisbane (5 tries to 3). In past years, the team might really have rolled over. All clubs have slumps at some stage of a season, lets just hope Saints lift for Friday night's blockbuster.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Nugby

Juniors
yeah, southernsaint, as my mate (lockyno1) decided to call me up and tell me, saints were playing the wrong game out there and he's rigt, when we flogged the knights, matty head kept kicking the ball down the other end and with good kick-chase we were killing it. Instead we were throwing the ball around while it was slippery as a block of soap and I cringed every time ryles went for an offload. We could have won except we were throwing it around close to our line to give them the chances they had and after halftime we didnt try to day anything different