What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons v Titans Round 2, 2023

DfL

Juniors
That was the best start to a season we've had in recent memory.

Our much lamented Wooden Spooner rejects all played well and showed that sometimes players with a bit of potential need a change of scenery to thrive.

The soft tries are still plaguing us, let's hope the defence gets better with time and games amongst the playing group this season.

The attack was the best we've looked in some time, hard direct running over the advantage line and players supporting with offloads. I said a few weeks back that a try Liddle scored in the charity shield was reminiscent of Damian Cook, I think the reduced game time and using Liddle in bursts will be the key.

BMM looked great, I hope he can keep playing the long minutes with that sort of impact for the rest of the season but let's wait and see there.

Couchman had a great debut and looked like he belonged at this level, look forward to seeing him more.

Looking forward to the game against the Broncos now, the next three weeks will be a big test.
The next three weeks will show us exactly where we are at in terms of playing top finals footy this year. Great start for the boys and i certainly hope they can keep it up. Lets go dragons!

Dragons4me

Juniors
Just go to the NRL website at the bottom of the page you will see icons. Click on the draw it will open up the round. Scroll down to the Dragons game and click on the match centre that will take you to the summary page. At the top slide across to the player stat's click on the Dragons and all the stat's are there for the individual player. Hope this helps
Many thanks!!

Dragon David

First Grade
The bench rotation worked as well. The boys continued the momentum that had begun.
My thought is that the new assistant coaches Woolf (in the box with Hook) and Carr (trainer on the field) have been given, by Haran and Hook, plenty of the decision making and as such they have brought in fresher ideas and a different vision to help the players and of course Hook.

Because of these two new guys as the assistant coaches, I'm seeing them looking at who we play next and what our players need to do and train for to compete better against that team. I'm thinking they are putting in better structures in attack and defence (they have had a couple of very good runs against quality opposition in the trials and they know where the improvements are needed).

We, on many times have said that our rotation of bench players has been poor and I think that the coaching staff realise this - Ben Woolf would have been the guy to make the right calls against the Titans.

If this is the way that our coaches are going to do this year, with Hook just doing the basics but the other two doing the decision making, to me this bodes well for us.

Parko1310

Juniors
My thought is that the new assistant coaches Woolf (in the box with Hook) and Carr (trainer on the field) have been given, by Haran and Hook, plenty of the decision making and as such they have brought in fresher ideas and a different vision to help the players and of course Hook.

Because of these two new guys as the assistant coaches, I'm seeing them looking at who we play next and what our players need to do and train for to compete better against that team. I'm thinking they are putting in better structures in attack and defence (they have had a couple of very good runs against quality opposition in the trials and they know where the improvements are needed).

We, on many times have said that our rotation of bench players has been poor and I think that the coaching staff realise this - Ben Woolf would have been the guy to make the right calls against the Titans.

If this is the way that our coaches are going to do this year, with Hook just doing the basics but the other two doing the decision making, to me this bodes well for us.

Other way around DD. Carr in the box, Woolf the trainer.

kit66

Bench
The bench rotation worked as well. The boys continued the momentum that had begun.

Throwing Liddle, Musgrove and Couchman all on around the 23 minute mark and Kerr at 30 minutes worked really well given the boys they replaced would have been gassed in the first game of the year and having played high tempo from the kick off. It kept us rolling forward and reasonably strong through the middle. Well done. Liddle had an instant impact.

jodragon40

Juniors
Throwing Liddle, Musgrove and Couchman all on around the 23 minute mark and Kerr at 30 minutes worked really well given the boys they replaced would have been gassed in the first game of the year and having played high tempo from the kick off. It kept us rolling forward and reasonably strong through the middle. Well done. Liddle had an instant impact.
Something that we have been sadly lacking in recent years was the correct timings of replacing players in the pack. It would appear that the new assistant coaches are being listened to by Griffin

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Did anyone else notice that the assistant coach Woolf was howling instructions from the coaching box. That is the first time I have seen that since Griffin took charge. Perhaps someone tapped him on the shoulder and advised him to actually listen to his new assistant's. Time will tell
I expected Woolf would make a difference. I wish we had his brother, Kristian, on our coaching team as well. I was also anticipating the change at hooker (ie; Liddle) to make a big difference. Plus, we moved up in defence! Pleased to see these changes having a positive effect. Hope like hell that it continues.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
I have said from day 1 Lawrie has punched well above his weight, early on he was getting smashed but learnt his trade changed his running style. As a coach you need players like him, the old workhorses who most probably won't be picked to play for the Blues or Kangaroos but they are an invaluable team player and his team mates know, just have a look how they mobbed him after his try. Nothing else needs to be said.
He's always had it in him. IMO two things account for Lawrie's improvement: fitness and leadership. Could make the blues if he keeps improving I reckon.

Jim Dragons

Juniors
The next three weeks will show us exactly where we are at in terms of playing top finals footy this year. Great start for the boys and i certainly hope they can keep it up. Lets go dragons!
The last three weeks of the comp will tell us where we are in terms of playing finals footy. Between now and then OUR team just need to win games of footy. We need to win the ones that are in our control and compete as best we can in those we don't win. As fans we need to remember that OUR team batted above the rating they were given last week, but it was one game. Let's just all be as positive next week if we give the Donkeys a run for their money. And rejoice if we do play to the level that knocks them down a peg or two. The key to making the semis is win the games that are still in the balance as you near fulltime.

Budpower

Juniors
im a QLDER and Woolf is well known up there as somewhat a very strait speaking dte very very good coach aswell as people person with the potential to have as stunning a carreer at coaching as his older bro...Carr is an attacking gun who had a huge impact on getting Parra to the gf last year, our game on the weekend showed thier great work in action!

True_Believer

Juniors
Just watching the game again, one of the first players to come in to congratulate Rav after his try was Musgrove. Obviously no hard feelings.

possm

Coach
Well, my take is that the Dragons blew away the pre-season cobb webs in the game against the Titans last week and are now more match hardened for the game against the Broncos.

If you liked what you saw last week, you will be even more impressed with the effort this round.

randomdragon

Juniors
Well, my take is that the Dragons blew away the pre-season cobb webs in the game against the Titans last week and are now more match hardened for the game against the Broncos.

If you liked what you saw last week, you will be even more impressed with the effort this round.
hope you're right poss

Latest posts