What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drive - ins

roboshark

Coach
Just wondering how many people still go to the drive in theatre. I regularly go to the one here in newy and I love it. Gets good crowds and is a good night for someone as old and boring as me

Anyone remember going to one in their youth, or still going nowadays. There is not many left unfortunately

The Colonel

Immortal
Not many left at all. Used to be one in Canberra when I first left school. My mate and I used tp go in my ute, a couple of old armchairs in the back, and set up for the night. Used to be great fun....

IanG

Coach
It's something I've wanted to do for a very long time. Let's just say that ET was the last movie I saw at a drive in. But I want to experience it again a few more times before they disappear forever

Not many Posters here would remember or have been to one. Quite a few posters here were probably conceived in one though!!

I used to go to the one at Bass Hill, many years ago.

roboshark

Coach
Not many left at all. Used to be one in Canberra when I first left school. My mate and I used tp go in my ute, a couple of old armchairs in the back, and set up for the night. Used to be great fun....

Still do it now colonel.. .plenty of kids as well which is great. Some people take little portable bbqs and sitoutside with wine and a sausage sanga

Old fashioned fun imo

Apey

Staff member
I went to the Newcastle one to see Shrek when it came out and it was a bit of a sh*tty experience due to the service and we never really went back. I imagine it was just a one-off though..

Copa

Bench
Just wondering how many people still go to the drive in theatre. I regularly go to the one here in newy and I love it. Gets good crowds and is a good night for someone as old and boring as me

Anyone remember going to one in their youth, or still going nowadays. There is not many left unfortunately
i went to erina drive-in on the central coast a number of times many years ago now .... loved it .. was great fun

Last edited:

roboshark

Coach
I went to the Newcastle one to see Shrek when it came out and it was a bit of a sh*tty experience due to the service and we never really went back. I imagine it was just a one-off though..

Its much better now Apey. Has been done up

Do yourself a favour and go

Blazikenblade

Juniors
Hey, where in newie is the drive-in theater? I have always wanted to go to one but never had the chance to go to one. Please tell me where it is.

My father & mum in the old days went to one, she always told me of the times they went to one & enjoyed the moment.

roboshark

Coach
Hey, where in newie is the drive-in theater? I have always wanted to go to one but never had the chance to go to one. Please tell me where it is.

My father & mum in the old days went to one, she always told me of the times they went to one & enjoyed the moment.

Its in a town called heddon greta. Its about 10 mins drive from maitland...on the road to kurri kurri

So not newy itself but hunter valley

Bulldog Force

Referee
There was one in Bass Hill but it closed down about 2 years ago - complexes are going to be there instead.

IMG_0024.jpg

Gordy

Juniors
It's something I've wanted to do for a very long time. Let's just say that ET was the last movie I saw at a drive in. But I want to experience it again a few more times before they disappear forever

Funnily enough IanG, the last movie I saw at the Drive In was ET also, I saw it at Bass Hill.

Also used to go at Liverpool when I was a little tacker.

It was a great experience and something, unfortunately, most kids will probably never get to enjoy.

Last edited:

IanG

Coach
I heard on ABC Radio the other night saying that Blacktown was the only one in Sydney left. I still remember when there were quite a few up here in Newcastle too, but most of them have been sold off for housing. Only Heddon Greta is left.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yep, Blacktown is the last one in Sydney as far as I know.
They have markets there on Saturday and Sunday mornings too.
I've been to the markets, never for the movie. Probably should one day.

roboshark

Coach
Yep, Blacktown is the last one in Sydney as far as I know.
They have markets there on Saturday and Sunday mornings too.
I've been to the markets, never for the movie. Probably should one day.

U should. I take my kids and missus and we grab a couple of pizzas and sit and eat whilst watching

Heddon greta shows 3 movies in winter...40 bucks for 3 movies per car or 30 bucks for 2 movies per car

Sounds boring but a great family night imo

The place gets packed on a sat nite...the owner would be making a motza

Bulldog Force

Referee
Funnily enough IanG, the last movie I saw at the Drive In was ET also, I saw it at Bass Hill.

Also used to go at Liverpool when I was a little tacker.

It was a great experience and something, unfortunately, most kids will probably never get to enjoy.
When you were a little tacker ay? Gosh I LOVE good old Aussie slang :D

IanG

Coach
Speaking of Drive Ins. Does anybody know where you can rent a panel van for the night?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Speaking of Drive Ins. Does anybody know where you can rent a panel van for the night?
Trying to rewind the clock ay? Best bet I'd say is for you too buy one. Why not? They look awesome.

I reckon I can live in one of these things!

holdenXC_Panel_van.jpg