What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drunken Sailor a Wallaby no more?

skeepe

Immortal
Listing Sailor's career threatened
By Peter Jenkins
February 21, 2006

DISGRACED wing Wendell Sailor flies home today from South Africa facing the prospect his Australia career is over.

0,5001,5111772,00.jpg
Sailor ... let his side down badly. Pic: Jeff Darmanin
The dual international has been suspended and fined by New South Wales Waratahs after a drunken night in Cape Town, his second offence in the same city in just seven months.

But in an explosive development last night, the Australian Rugby Union and its NSW division announced a further tribunal hearing which could leave Sailor without a Test future.

His contract is also under threat if previous warnings to the big winger are now carried out.

Sailor received a one-game ban from a Waratahs disciplinary committee and was slapped with an undisclosed fine - possibly around $5000 - yesterday after getting drunk, pushing a patron and vomiting in a side alley outside a bar on Saturday morning (AEDT).

Injury had ruled Sailor out of the Super 14 clash against the Stormers to be played the next day.

Last year Sailor was fined $500 and given a two-match ban, suspended for two years, after being out late in a Cape Town nightclub two days before a Test.

But a joint statement from the ARU and NSWRU revealed that a code of conduct hearing will be held this week.

"The Waratahs acted quickly in conducting an internal disciplinary committee hearing," ARU managing director Gary Flowers said. "However, because of the significance of the issue, both the NSWRU and the ARU agree further action is warranted."

The statement has also brought into focus the dire consequences outlined to four players - Matt Henjak, Lote Tuqiri, Matt Dunning and Sailor - when they were punished over their night owl activities last August.

At the time, Flowers said players could have their ARU contracts terminated if they re-offended and coach Eddie Jones warned the quartet was "now on notice (that) if they (misbehave) again, their Wallabies careers are at stake".

While Jones has since left the post, his successor John Connolly has spruiked zero-tolerance to off-field misbehaviour.

Pressed on whether those hardline words spelt danger for Sailor, Flowers said last night: "All the statements you've quoted were very clear about how seriously we review behavioural matters.

"We went to extreme lengths after that tour to make players aware of their responsibilities. We have made our views very clear (on the Sailor incident) and New South Wales agrees. We certainly view it as a serious matter."

Flowers said the code of conduct tribunal would have the power to impose the suspended sentence as a minimum penalty and reach for even harsher penalties if Sailor is again found guilty.

Asked if Sailor's contract could be torn up, Flowers added: "Penalties are up to the tribunal. But we've said all along these are serious matters."

NSWRU chief executive Fraser Neill admitted the Sailor episode was "very disappointing" and offered advice to other players on tour in South Africa.

"Take up a hobby and stay in your rooms," he said.

"It's an out and out goldfish bowl here and any incident seems to get magnified by 10. But we've got a responsibility and we've got to deal with it. We can't use that as an excuse."

An embarrassed Sailor, who was out with fellow Waratahs Troy Takiari and Will Caldwell, yesterday denied any major contact between himself and the local at the Sohbar.

"The guy was talking rugby a bit ... it was non-stop ... and at one stage I obviously said, 'I don't want to talk any more mate'. But at no stage did I get into an altercation," he said.

"But what we do as players reflects on the franchise and I've let down the franchise, myself and the family.

"That's why I've got to make sure when Wendell Sailor goes out, he's got to realise he's representing himself and the Waratahs. "I am pretty disappointed with what occurred. I need to look after myself a bit better and not put the team under the pressure that they were under over the weekend."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18212357-5002381,00.html

His absence from the Wallabies would be welcomed and improve the team no end.

Woods99

Juniors
He's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone!

The following wingers are ahead of him:

Tuqiri (if he plays wing instead of outside centre)
Mitchell
Gerrard
Rathbone

Don't call us, Wendy, we'll call you.:(

brendothejet

First Grade
hahah yeah he's a dud.

Only bloke in international rugby who isnt afraid to chance his arm and run the ball.

brendothejet said:
hahah yeah he's a dud.

Only bloke in international rugby who isnt afraid to chance his arm and run the ball.

yeh...that's because he cant kick the bloody ball. As for running the ball...you have obviously never seen the All Blacks ???. :lol:

aussies1st

Staff member
Sailor is good for go forward but Joe at his best is lethal with both power and strength. Of course Lomu was the best of them all.

Thomas

First Grade
brendothejet said:
hahah yeah he's a dud.

And then get tackled and then lose possession and then concede a try....:roll:

monaroCountry

Juniors
If he came back to RL because of this, would there still be a place for him? Or is he too old now?
Yes he would be too old!!!!!
Although Sailors try rate has improved since moving to the Waratahs. Actually scoring plenty of tries now.

Palms

Juniors
I reckon he wouldn't look out of place in rugby league again..Its his best suited game and is where his true insticts come out

Latest posts