What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty comments

possm

Coach
Yes i agree ,canterbury winger had momentum ,definatley a good winger would look ok in red an white...
Well I used to jog towards the player coming at me and faint a move to the left or right with the intention of going the other way. Most of the time the on-coming player would swerve to the opposite - the side I planned to take him. Most times it worked. By the way my coach taught me to do this in under 9s.

321Davoe dragon

Juniors
APPARENTLY THESE PLAYERS DONT UNDERSTAND IF YOU WIN 38 TO NIL YOU WONT GET BOOED
So true,its up to them ,of course there gonna
APPARENTLY THESE PLAYERS DONT UNDERSTAND IF YOU WIN 38 TO NIL YOU WONT GET BOOED
Of course there gonna get booed performance like that
.Is Debelin carrying injury atm ?seems to have lost his swagger since origin,doubt weather he would be selected on current form.

321Davoe dragon

Juniors
Well I used to jog towards the player coming at me and faint a move to the left or right with the intention of going the other way. Most of the time the on-coming player would swerve to the opposite - the side I planned to take him. Most times it worked. By the way my coach taught me to do this in under 9s.
Yep its funny the things you remember ,wish i could have remembered things like maths history ect like i remembered what my football coach told me lol. Had great coach when young guy called David Davis R.I.P great guy.

possm

Coach
Yep its funny the things you remember ,wish i could have remembered things like maths history ect like i remembered what my football coach told me lol. Had great coach when young guy called David Davis R.I.P great guy.
My coach's name was brother Liguri an Irish patrician brother. He was very tough and strict. Once he got so mad at me that he picked me up off the ground by my side levers - was mucking around with my friend rather than listening to him. But he always gave the players a lift home in the school van after a game or after training. No seatbelts required in those days, we just sat on the floor in the back.

In my opinion he always tried to get the best performance out of each and every player and now I look back on those days and this coach with fond memories.

Things were different then. It was not a big deal if you were in a fight on the field. Only a big deal if you did something serious like stomed on a player with those boots with steel screw-in studs.

I mostly played halfback and was very fast over 30m but was one of the smaller players in the team. I remember him telling me to go and punch this big tall lock in the chin after the first scrum broke. He said don't worry I've told your team mates to look out for you. Well I did it and it worked the opposition lock spent the whole game trying to get back at me. Yes my team mates looked after me and kept pointing out to the ref that his guy is playing dirty. The only trouble was that this big tall lock was still wanting to get me after the game.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My coach's name was brother Liguri an Irish patrician brother. He was very tough and strict. Once he got so mad at me that he picked me up off the ground by my side levers - was mucking around with my friend rather than listening to him. But he always gave the players a lift home in the school van after a game or after training. No seatbelts required in those days, we just sat on the floor in the back.

In my opinion he always tried to get the best performance out of each and every player and now I look back on those days and this coach with fond memories.

Things were different then. It was not a big deal if you were in a fight on the field. Only a big deal if you did something serious like stomed on a player with those boots with steel screw-in studs.

I mostly played halfback and was very fast over 30m but was one of the smaller players in the team. I remember him telling me to go and punch this big tall lock in the chin after the first scrum broke. He said don't worry I've told your team mates to look out for you. Well I did it and it worked the opposition lock spent the whole game trying to get back at me. Yes my team mates looked after me and kept pointing out to the ref that his guy is playing dirty. The only trouble was that this big tall lock was still wanting to get me after the game.
You punched a guy unprovoked.

Not in a scuffle, not in a fight, not to protect yourself. Just flat out assault.

No wonder he wanted to get you after the game.

321Davoe dragon

Juniors

I remember going to jubilee oval to watch the Dragons train ,Gasnier always dressed imaculatley we were playing ramsgate i think that weekend ,they had a centre who was state 100 yards champion we asked Gaz how can we stop this guy ??his reply was get him around the legs and he wont be able to run !words of wisdom from prince of centres ,a very approchable guy didnt mind talking to silly kids.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Good story possm.

I remember a game for the school in year 10. We were getting beat convincingly and our halfback, captain and toughest player in our year or the school for that matter said to our forwards, next scrum it is on. Next scrum it was and our forwards gave it to the theirs. The game turned completely around after that and we went onto score 20 plus points unanswered and win the game. I was in the centres, so I wasn't in the fight.

When I played under 10's and 11's for our local footy team, our coach used to have a panel van. He would pile the kids in the back. Say if we were on the way to training, if our coach Jack Trainer (who played lower grades for Souths) saw any kid on the street who looked like he may be around our age, he would pull up in the van and say to the kid on the street, "How old are you"? Next question. "Do you want to play football". If the first answer was the right age group and the second answer yes, then Jack would say to the kid, come on, hop in the back of the van with all the other kids. We ended up having a squad of around 25 players and won the premiership both of those years. We even had big fast wingers those years.

ouryears

Bench

Not in a scuffle, not in a fight, not to protect yourself. Just flat out assault.

Yep, just like SOO players did every game and sometimes still do.
Or like the Panthers did a few weeks ago.

Far better spectacle, excuse the PC.

321Davoe dragon

Juniors

Just listning to game last 5 mins missed goal in front of posts Dufty knocked on in front of posts.get him off before too late saints getting.hammered again bloody hell

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

There’s nothing tough about throwing an unprovoked punch.

It’s cowardice.

You can be tough and enforcing without reverting to that kind of rubbish.

possm

Coach

It’s cowardice.

Yes that was in those days when you did get a real belting with a belt when you were naughty.

These days are different and society has moved on; although I really don't think society has improved at all. Anyway, I tell my 11 year old to keep his hands to himself on and off the field. If you feel angry just hit them with the most forceful tackle you can - best around the legs.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
These days are different and society has moved on
Not really. That’s the excuse used by the #metoo jerks.

A dog act back then is still a dog act today.

Throwing an unprovoked punch deserves as much reaction then as it does now.

It’s never been ‘tough’ to hit someone who wasn’t expecting it.

ViceVersa

Juniors

It’s cowardice.

That's BS mate... Because I have video evidence of you mocking others, and laughing when you ordered others to get chopped in half...

That sounds pretty 'cowardice' to me tough guy... :mad: :confused: :eek:

denis preston

First Grade
Good story possm.

I remember a game for the school in year 10. We were getting beat convincingly and our halfback, captain and toughest player in our year or the school for that matter said to our forwards, next scrum it is on. Next scrum it was and our forwards gave it to the theirs. The game turned completely around after that and we went onto score 20 plus points unanswered and win the game. I was in the centres, so I wasn't in the fight.

When I played under 10's and 11's for our local footy team, our coach used to have a panel van. He would pile the kids in the back. Say if we were on the way to training, if our coach Jack Trainer (who played lower grades for Souths) saw any kid on the street who looked like he may be around our age, he would pull up in the van and say to the kid on the street, "How old are you"? Next question. "Do you want to play football". If the first answer was the right age group and the second answer yes, then Jack would say to the kid, come on, hop in the back of the van with all the other kids. We ended up having a squad of around 25 players and won the premiership both of those years. We even had big fast wingers those years.
Your coach must have been the nightmare all parents have.Accepting lifts in strangers cars ? Clearly your side was full of gullible boys !!!

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Dragons young gun Matt Dufty told coach to drop him, and how he bounced back
Dragons
simon_brunsdon.jpg

7172df59c77d2bfa338c5409927f8376

Dragons young gun Matt Dufty opens up on mental fatigue this season.Source: FOX SPORTS
MATT Dufty walked into Paul McGregor’s office at Dragons HQ and told his NRL coach how he felt.

The 22-year-old was “tired” and “drained”. He was mentally exhausted.

He felt his body was struggling to keep pace with the rigours of playing professional rugby league every week.

He told McGregor not to pick him in the team.

That was leading into St George Illawarra’s Round 24 meeting against Canterbury. The team had lost three of their past four games and their once-promising season was spiralling downwards at a rapid rate.

Dufty and McGregor agreed he would be picked in the team after all, but the coach would name him on the bench instead of starting him at fullback.

“I went and spoke to Mary and told him I was pretty drained physically and mentally,” Dufty told foxsports.com.au this week.

803a0cce4be645e3839ea350d76f5fdb

Matt Dufty of the Dragons has opened up about mental fatigue.Source: Getty Images
“I just wasn’t feeling 100 per cent and I didn’t think it was right for me to take the field.

“He said he was thinking the same thing but he wasn’t going to drop me ... but I didn’t think it was right and we agreed I should have a week off or play off the bench.”

An injury to Dufty’s replacement Jason Nightingale meant the young gun was thrown into the action much sooner than had been planned.

The Dragons went on to lose the game 38-0 to bottom eight-bound Bulldogs and Dufty was later called out for some of his efforts in defence during the game.

Two days later McGregor walked into the video session and delivered one of the all-time sprays at his players.

Foxsports.com.au has been told — not by Dufty — McGregor’s blow-up almost blew the roof off WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

The coach then told the players to take two days off work, get away from football and think about how they wanted to end their 2018 NRL season.

For Dufty, that two-day break totally reignited the fire in his belly.

“I know it really helped me because I was able to freshen up and get my head right, get my body right. It was what I needed,” he said.

698174_640x360_large_20180911125857.jpg

Will Graham return?

0:44
“(McGregor) gave us a (verbal) beating but then he said we should all be excited, we’re playing finals footy. He said go away and get yourself right for the game against Newcastle.

“It was good to just spend time with friends and family, get away from footy and get away from all the media. I didn’t really use my phone, I just got away.

“It was good to get that balance because it’s just been footy for 25 weeks and I know I needed that rest.”

Dufty’s condition would best be diagnosed as the dreaded second year syndrome — an affliction suffered during the second season of a young sports star’s career.

His form was beginning to drop, the team was struggling, and there was plenty of negative press starting to seep into Wollongong.

He says the decision to approach McGregor for a heart-to-heart was the best he could have made.

“Mary is pretty open and pretty easy to talk to as a coach,” he said.

“He’s played first grade so he’s been through all the season and all the different feelings. Having him there to talk to was all I needed.”

Dufty says the difference in attitude around the playing group was stark when they returned for the captain’s run ahead of Round 25.

They went up to Newcastle and beat the Knights, booking an elimination final showdown with Brisbane.

Then they stunned the NRL by causing a boilover and beating the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium. Now they look ahead to South Sydney this weekend.

The turning point — at least for their young fullback — was those two days away from the game.

“I got that energy back that I had when I started playing at the start of the year, when I was bouncing around and playing footy how I usually do,” Dufty said.

“The last couple of weeks my form has been back and I’ve been happy ... I’m throwing the ball more, making my tackles and doing all that good stuff.

“I got into training before the Knights game and we were going on a trip with the boys and everyone was in a good mood.

“I had that drive again, which is what had been missing.

“That plane trip after the Brisbane trip was probably the happiest I’ve been in my whole time in first grade.

“Singing the song after the game you could see how happy everyone was, how happy the coaching staff was. That feeling won’t be forgotten any time soon.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/5d453d3af98f6edac4b3c3fd82683db1

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Sorry forgot to mention in previous....tbought young Dufty played really well in Brisbane, it must have been very taxing playing with a very large parochial crowd in your ear especially at fullback when at times you seem to be on your own back there with the crowd behind giving you heaps....besides his obvious fabulous try at the end I particularly watched him in the replays and noticed his general all round game was sound...his total awareness and positional play was much improved..sure he still has work to do to improve his game but Im thinking he has taken a big step towards that improvement

getsmarty

Immortal
duftym-18031541.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty says Graham was right to chip him
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 02:01 PM

It was the wrong time and place and Matt Dufty now knows that.

He says front-rower James Graham was right to tear strips off him for enjoying a laugh with teammate Nene Macdonald in the spa after the last home game of the season. After all, the Dragons had just been thumped 38-0 at Jubilee Oval by the Bulldogs.

The dust-up between Dufty and Graham attracted a few headlines and the young fullback is big enough to take ownership of what happened.

"Everyone wrote a few things that I was on my phone and whatever," he told NRL.com.

"But that's not the case. I was sitting in the spa after the game – a good hour after the game – and me and Nene were the last ones in the sheds. Nene told me a joke and I laughed.

"It was the wrong time and wrong place. James walked out of the toilets, and obviously he wasn't happy. No one was happy after a performance like that.

Rabbitohs v Dragons - Semi-Final

"It was ill-timed for me to laugh. Jammer (Graham) is a senior player and if he's got something to stay, it's coming from a good place," Dufty said.

"If anyone knows me and James, we're best friends, even if we fight about little things like who's buying the coffee, but there's a lot of respect."

Dufty denied there was any team disharmony, or a fractured relationship between him and Graham, over the incident.

Kurt's the Mann to replace Widdop

"There was no right and wrong what he or I did. We were on the phone together that night and we had breakfast the next day together.

"Things happen in team environments. But we're all mates. [That argument] was nothing that affected the team because we went out and got two wins in a row."

The Dragons scored 24 points against Newcastle (round 25) and 48 against the Broncos (elimination final) to earn the right to play South Sydney on Saturday night at ANZ Stadium in the knock-out semi-final.

Dufty said the Dragons were confident Graham, who suffered a concussion in the Broncos win, will play.

"If anyone knows James, he's going to be the angriest guy in the world if he can't play," Dufty said.

"It's not the first head knock he's had and it won't be the last. But I think he's OK. He's been talking and looking alright during the week.

nrl2018_finals-bracket-week-2_1650x1080.jpg

"Jammer is a great leader and especially with Gaz (skipper Gareth Widdop, shoulder) gone, we need him.

"Some of the boys were feeling a little nervous before the Broncos game. But Jammer gave us a pep talk and what he said as inspiring and got us ready.

"He told us he came to the Dragons to win a premiership. His words put us at ease that he would do anything for us.

"He's one of the toughest players going around. And we love him."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/14/dufty-says-graham-was-right-to-chip-him/