What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty to Fullback/Dugan to Centre

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Great debut by Dufty, but I just hope everyone cuts him some slack when he makes the inevitable rookie errors......and he will....... it's just part of learning. Today was just one game and against a team that didn't test him out positionally or defensively so he is going to have a few bad days ahead and we need to keep faith when he does.

However, I just can't see Mary playing him at FB if Duges is back next week. In fact, if both Duges and Aitken are good to go next week, Dufty will most likely find himself back in reggies or at best, taking Mann's place on the bench.

Great post.
If McGregor decides to persist with Dufty at fullback (although highly doubtful), every team will be testing him out. Every bomb will be straight to him, the opposition defence will ensure they have a couple of men covering him and I can foresee second rowers & centres racing out of the line to shut him down.
He will make mistakes, he will make some poor decisions, he will drop a few bombs under pressure... But every rookie faces this challenge and it's how they bounce back that counts and as you said, it's all about keeping the faith.

The kid has an enormous amount of talent, he'll be just fine.

Dragsters

First Grade
Dufty scored a try and threw the final pass for two more, showing off his ball playing ability.

He also ran for 166 metres, had a whopping 10 tackle busts, an offload, two linebreaks, and two linebreak assists.

Nuff sed...

ALSGI

Bench
Dufty scored a try and threw the final pass for two more, showing off his ball playing ability.

He also ran for 166 metres, had a whopping 10 tackle busts, an offload, two linebreaks, and two linebreak assists.

Nuff sed...
Not to mention the break he made when beating Kelly and DCE only to have Lafai miss the offload for a certain try.

Life's Good

Coach
It's funny how we are now calling for Duges to centre to accommodate Dufty when we wanted him kept @ FB & resigned in that position! Whether it now happens(Dugan to centre)shows how good Dufty looked/played/is going to be that it should be a serious selection headache for Mary(my choice is Dufty to remain there).

Bench
If Dugan is fit and plays fullback and Dufty is benched that's one scenario. If Dufty is kept at fullback for the remainder of the season in preparation for next year.
Which scenario is best for our team.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If Dugan is fit and plays fullback and Dufty is benched that's one scenario. If Dufty is kept at fullback for the remainder of the season in preparation for next year.
Which scenario is best for our team.
If it was a straight out choice between Dugan and Dufty at fullback for and even if Dufty was not going to be here next year, I would still be picking Dufty.

slippery5

Juniors
Great debut by Dufty, but I just hope everyone cuts him some slack when he makes the inevitable rookie errors......and he will....... it's just part of learning. Today was just one game and against a team that didn't test him out positionally or defensively so he is going to have a few bad days ahead and we need to keep faith when he does.

However, I just can't see Mary playing him at FB if Duges is back next week. In fact, if both Duges and Aitken are good to go next week, Dufty will most likely find himself back in reggies or at best, taking Mann's place on the bench.

Unfortunately Mary will play Dugan at fullback and dufty will probably drop back.i hope I'm wrong it's time to take off the blinkers Mr mcgregor.
Unfortunately you will probably be correct. He couldn't live with himself if he went against his arrogant superior self belief that, "Dugan is our best fullback at the club".

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
I'll throw my 5 cents worth in.

I liked Quinlan more than most on this forum and cheered him on but to describe Dufty as a 'Quinlan clone' as has been said here already is simply way off the mark.

Dufty has game sense and involvement which Adam did not not have.

Dufty in all the videos I have seen in 20s ( yes granted 20s) displays superior line running, timing and passing. Adam was mainly a clever support runner; Dufty has ability to pick gaps and accelerate sharply. Remember Dufty is a prolific try scorer in 20s I understand more trys than any other 20s game player.

Hope he stays, we just look so sharp and threatening when he chimes in. Lafai had more room this week.

Latest posts