What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty to Fullback/Dugan to Centre

JDHD

Juniors
I didn't want Dufty in grade until next year so he could develop his game in Cup. As usual, I'm proven to be a complete idiot. He was outstanding, and based off that performance, he cannot be left out of first grade again. Aitken's injury is simultaneously unfortunate and fortuitous because it means we can accomodate Dufty and Dugan in the same side.

Divine

Bench
Duges will miss the FB position for sure but the entire rationale behind us offloading him was we see his future in the centres. Hopefully he cops it sweet and continues to give 110% until year's end. Meantime we can settle back and hopefully watch a backline with some long awaited firepower.

2010Dragons

Bench
Well done and congratulations to Matt Duffy.This kid is a star in the making and a KEEPER !!
  1. Duffy has step, speed and can set up tries
  2. Dugan has step NO SPEED and hogs the ball very rarely sets up tries.
I think it was a good move to let Dugan go to the sharks.
Watching Duffy play today has given me hope for 2018 and beyond.

rasaint

Juniors
This is the 1st time that Matt Dufty has had top 1st graders in Widdop etc to play off.

You can not coach speed and can not win without it. Matt is genuinely lighting quick and the in back line plays he opened up space for our backs and caused indecision with the opposition. Simply he has that speed that allows him to come from deep and still arrive between opposition players. Throws a beautiful accurate bullet pass. He has to stay.

Well done Nene a strong game.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I thought it interesting that Widdop was actively looking for Dufty to pass to and pass with confidence. This adds so much dimension to our attack where now Widdop can choose to pass or run it himself, it will put opposition defenders in 2 minds wether to attack Widdop or Dufty. I they come in on Widdop he will pass to Dufty and open that door, likewise, if they decide to defend Dufty then Widdop will have an opportunity to exploit the hole.
Another observation regarding Dufty is that Lafai looked to have more space to move whereas the last couple of weeks he's been heavily marked.
A big difference in our shape today with Dufty as opposed to Duges at fullback.

Dragsters

First Grade
You know it makes sense...

We know it makes sense...

Let's hope Mary does too.

He did say in the presser when asked about Dufty's debut that "we haven't replaced Josh"

I'm not fully convinced mary does just yet.

Well know if he figures it out by Tuesday arvo perhaps...

hazzbeen

Bench
I didn't want Dufty in grade until next year so he could develop his game in Cup. As usual, I'm proven to be a complete idiot. He was outstanding, and based off that performance, he cannot be left out of first grade again. Aitken's injury is simultaneously unfortunate and fortuitous because it means we can accomodate Dufty and Dugan in the same side.
Knowing Mary he will probably play Mann at center Duges at fullback . IMO Duffy and Mann should be in the team . Also a mention for Nene he has stepped it up , a couple of weeks ago I was calling for him to be dropped ...

Frank Facer

First Grade

He did say in the presser when asked about Dufty's debut that "we haven't replaced Josh"

Well know if he figures it out by Tuesday arvo perhaps...[/QUOTE

Well hopefully Mary is reading this forum and takes note.

Last edited:
This is another IQ test for Mary.......................................

Lets hope he spends some time reviewing the replay. Don't listen to us Mary, listen to Cooper Cronk.

Drakon

Juniors

Well know if he figures it out by Tuesday arvo perhaps...
Hey Dragsters, I believe Mary was referring to not having replaced Duges for next year.

Will be pleasantly surprised if he does start Matt next week though.

blacksafake

First Grade
Knowing Mary he will probably play Mann at center Duges at fullback . IMO Duffy and Mann should be in the team . Also a mention for Nene he has stepped it up , a couple of weeks ago I was calling for him to be dropped ...
Nene has stepped it up lately & his taking of a bomb today when the eagles were only 8 behind was big in the context of the game. We scored shortly after which steadied the ship

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hey Dragsters, I believe Mary was referring to not having replaced Duges for next year.

If Mary does not start Dufty at fullback next week, then I think he should be sacked.

I interpreted Mary's comment as stating that Duges is still his first choice Full Back.

Question is:

Are we stronger with Mann at Centre and Duges at Full Back or Duges at Centre with Dufty at Full Back ?

JDHD

Juniors
Imagine Ben Hunt advancing on a retreating defensive line with Frizell on his inside shoulder, Sims on his outside and Dufty sweeping around the back. Good grief.

BankstownDragon

Juniors
I interpreted Mary's comment as stating that Duges is still his first choice Full Back.

Question is:

Are we stronger with Mann at Centre and Duges at Full Back or Duges at Centre with Dufty at Full Back ?

Good question.

For me the answer is obvious.

Dufty fullback & Dugan Right centre.

Irrespective of wether Aitken is fit or not, centre is a critical position defence wise (players are isolated and have to make instant decisions whilst back pedaling or shifting sideways) and this is where Dugan is 10 x better than anyone else we have at centre.

Plus the added bonus that if Dufty, for some reason, struggles in a game, then you have an instant switch and its sorted.

Id have Duges at RC and Aitken/Lafai/Milne at LC. They all have thier weaknesses and Im not sure wgo Id go with at LC.

Great win today.

JDHD

Juniors

Question is:

I'd say that Mann at Centre and Dufty at FB probably makes us more dangerous in attack. Both players can run or pass, while Dugan can only run.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Mary needs to see that he is in a win/win situation here. He's not taking a massive risk playing Dugan at centre and Dufty at fullback for the following reasons:

- Dufty has proven he can handle first grade footy
- Dugan and Dufty can switch between defensive/attacking roles if the game is tight.
- With the way that our interchange works, we usually carry a back on our bench... So if Dufty at fullback isn't working, the coach can hook him.. shift Dugan back to fullback and throw Mann into right centre. Not that i'd recommend hooking a player in his first few games, you could potentially shatter his confidence, but if it's necessary then the option is there.