What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan and MacGregor

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Anyone else read this on the NRL website?

http://www.nrl.com/dugan-raring-to-go-after-friendly-fire/tabid/10874/newsid/100139/default.aspx

The bit I found interesting was this:

Dugan has recorded just one try assist this year but said coach Paul McGregor's game-plan dictates he keeps tucking the ball under his arm.

"Our game plan strays away from me ball playing and instead I become more of a runner," he said.

"I've never had a problem with that, but I still feel if I had the opportunity that I can ball play if needed. I don't get too many opportunities to but I have it up my sleeve."

If true, (and I have no reason to not believe it), MacGregor doesn't want Duges to pass. It's a sad indictment of MacGregors tactical abilities, if anyone needed more proof.

The Doc

Juniors
Yeh... mary f@#ked up. We all know duges is a devasting runner... but he must be encouraged to pass the ball also...
He has botched a number of certain tries this year by running instead of passing.

Dragons 09

Juniors
He has botched a number of certain tries this year by running instead of passing.
Yes, but the sad part is, he executed the game plan perfectly each time he f**kced up.....the players must be tearing their hair out behind closed doors.

The Doc

Juniors
Yes, but the sad part is, he executed the game plan perfectly each time he f**kced up.....the players must be tearing their hair out behind closed doors.
I wouldnt believe everything that comes out a players mouth though...
How do we know he executed the game plane??
In all fainess he has never been a ball playing fullback. Besides if an opportunity arises to pass as if he doesnt? I dont think any game plan would be "do not pass at all".

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I wouldnt believe everything that comes out a players mouth though...
How do we know he executed the game plane??
In all fainess he has never been a ball playing fullback. Besides if an opportunity arises to pass as if he doesnt? I dont think any game plan would be "do not pass at all".

Fair point, maybe what Duges thinks is the game plan is not actually the game plan. If nothing else though he has dumped on MacGregor for allegedly having the game plan that many fans have complained about.

The Doc

Juniors
He has dumped on mcgregor no doubt. Not saying that macgregors game plane isnt worth dumping on... it is and so is he...
But duges has never been known as or shown he is capable of being a ball playing fullback.

BennyV

Referee
Dugan showed at Canberra that he was capable of ball playing, and the potential was there to build on that. Our one-dimensional coaching over the past 4 years have destroyed it.

Hawkins

Juniors
Dugan showed at Canberra that he was capable of ball playing, and the potential was there to build on that. Our one-dimensional coaching over the past 4 years have destroyed it.

Im kinda happy he left. I know he looks better on paper than our fullback but I never liked Dugan

BennyV

Referee
Im kinda happy he left. I know he looks better on paper than our fullback but I never liked Dugan
Each to their own. I think his skillset and career trajectory would have been different if he signed with a different club and played the last 3 years under a different coach.

giboz71

First Grade
LOL - an 800k fullback not passing just coz the coach says so. So if he had the ball with a 3 man overlap, he doesn't pass?? Does Boyd wait for Bennett to tell him to pass the ball or use his own brain. What's he up to now, 20 try assists this year?

All I know is, the few times Dugan's tried to be a distributor, he's either ran himself into touch, passed the ball into touch, or thrown an intercept. Has zero instincts to be a distributor and runs wrong lines each time.

Yes Mary is clueless, but his lack of effectiveness at FB is on Dugan as well. Fair dinkum, the only FB in the comp who doesn't know how to pass.

OzDragon

Coach
Anyone else read this on the NRL website?

http://www.nrl.com/dugan-raring-to-go-after-friendly-fire/tabid/10874/newsid/100139/default.aspx

The bit I found interesting was this:

Dugan has recorded just one try assist this year but said coach Paul McGregor's game-plan dictates he keeps tucking the ball under his arm.

"Our game plan strays away from me ball playing and instead I become more of a runner," he said.

"I've never had a problem with that, but I still feel if I had the opportunity that I can ball play if needed. I don't get too many opportunities to but I have it up my sleeve."

If true, (and I have no reason to not believe it), MacGregor doesn't want Duges to pass. It's a sad indictment of MacGregors tactical abilities, if anyone needed more proof.
Wait wait wait wait wait....

We have a game plan?!?

blacksafake

First Grade
Not too surprised, The ball seems to go through too many hands before it gets the player who should get it.How many times do you see a forward get it before one of the halves especially in an attacking position & on the last which makes for a hasty & normally wrong decision.It's always in slow motion starting from dummy half & then the likes of Cooper,JDB,Marketo get it flat footed.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
LOL - an 800k fullback not passing just coz the coach says so. So if he had the ball with a 3 man overlap, he doesn't pass?? Does Boyd wait for Bennett to tell him to pass the ball or use his own brain. What's he up to now, 20 try assists this year?

All I know is, the few times Dugan's tried to be a distributor, he's either ran himself into touch, passed the ball into touch, or thrown an intercept. Has zero instincts to be a distributor and runs wrong lines each time.

Yes Mary is clueless, but his lack of effectiveness at FB is on Dugan as well. Fair dinkum, the only FB in the comp who doesn't know how to pass.

OK, so you have a star running fullback whose natural inclination is NOT to pass. Do you -

A. Coach him so his passing game improves? OR
B. Tell him don't worry about passing, just tuck the ball under your arm and run.

If Duges is correct, Mary is entirely happy with his running/not passing game. And if so it is much more an indictment against Mary than it is against Dugan.

giboz71

First Grade
OK, so you have a star running fullback whose natural inclination is NOT to pass. Do you -

A. Coach him so his passing game improves? OR
B. Tell him don't worry about passing, just tuck the ball under your arm and run.

If Duges is correct, Mary is entirely happy with his running/not passing game. And if so it is much more an indictment against Mary than it is against Dugan.

Not that I'm a Mary fan, but if I was coaching Dugan, I'd tell him to forget about passing as well.

It's an indictment on both of them to be honest.

The Doc

Juniors
Not that I'm a Mary fan, but if I was coaching Dugan, I'd tell him to forget about passing as well.

It's an indictment on both of them to be honest.
100% agree with u.
If mary was happy with dugan just running and not passing... mann would not have been signed.
If Dugan showed the slightest bit of ability to pass decent balls we wouldnt have searched for a ball playing fullback.
Yes dugan wanted to play centre, but i feel that had alot to do with the criticism aimed at him due his lack of ball playing ability.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
100% agree with u.
If mary was happy with dugan just running and not passing... mann would not have been signed.
If Dugan showed the slightest bit of ability to pass decent balls we wouldnt have searched for a ball playing fullback.
Yes dugan wanted to play centre, but i feel that had alot to do with the criticism aimed at him due his lack of ball playing ability.

I don't get what you're saying. If Dugan won't pass, whats the point of him playing centre? You would be better off sticking him on the wing.

I actually find it hard to believe that he can't pass, because it's one of the first things you practice playing league. Its more like he doesn't want to, and he hasn't been encouraged to or even required to do by the coach. I accept Giboz point that its an indictment on both coach and fullback.

giboz71

First Grade
Yes. At some point between the 2009 and 2010 season, Bennett told Boyd how and when to pass.

You're probably right. He showed him how to run that play and then he got it. Since then he's pretty much become the best fullback in the world today, mainly due to his passing game. He still runs that sweep play today to perfection and people still can't stop him.

The fact our coach and our highest paid player haven't seemed to work it out in almost 3 years, as i said is a sad indictment on both of them.