What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN NEXT

Coffs dragon

Bench
No way and how could they afford too......the NRL have set the 2018 cap at $8.8mil which is supposedly $1mil under clubs expectations!!!
Sorry but I think Duges is stuffed and may have to accept the offer or leave, but I don't know where or who would pay that type of inflated dollars!!!
Like in real estate.....you are only worth what someone is willing to pay!

BrissyRedV

Bench
No way and how could they afford too......the NRL have set the 2018 cap at $8.8mil which is supposedly $1mil under clubs expectations!!!
The NRL just yesterday said the clubs should start working to a figure of 9.17mil which still be a conservative figure with the RLPA still to sign off on the EB.

Coffs dragon

Bench
The NRL just yesterday said the clubs should start working to a figure of 9.17mil which still be a conservative figure with the RLPA still to sign off on the EB.
Hey BrissyRedV that amount sounds about right as from what I read that amount of $9.17mil includes allowances of $300k for long term player loyalty, so in essence the clubs can only spend $8.84mil which is below what was expected.
At least Flo would be guaranteed of that $300k sweetener for loyalty as I don't think we have any other players that fit the criteria.

possm

Coach
If the Dragons want to keep Dugan with a 1m package, arrange the TPA to top off the 750k market price put on him. So with a 250k TPA, my answer is yes. Without a TPA no.

The future we will have to upgrade McInnes and some of our juniors who might reach first grade standard. Dugan on 1m long term would make this very difficult.

Love to see the Duges stay on, but I think the Dragons have been reasonable with their offer. Only I never would have said 'centre money' or to play centre. Players are paid according to the market value and value to the team, if we need Dugan at fullback or at centre he should just play where he is asked to play - like Nightingale, Mann and the boys on the bench.

possm

Coach
Mann might be the one to keep. Still could get him at non-inflated price, strong defender, try scorer and extremely versatile. Milne or Lafai couldn't play at fullback for example.

I just hope in the crazy merry-go-round, we keep the right squad.
You are right. It will all come down to money and Millward's white board. According to the white board, Dugan is at right centre and Aitken has already been signed as a centre. If Dugan plays fullback then it is all down to the dollars.

Lafai has overcome is bad form coming back from injury. If his asking price is not beyond Dragons capacity, he will be the next one signed. So that will mean all of the fringe backs will get the chip unless they are willing to stay for bargain basement price.

I'm tipping we will retain Dugan and he will initially play fullback moving to right centre once Field or someone else is up to first grade level. So if Dugan is retained then is will most probably be Aitken and Lafai in the centres with juniors as backup.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I think Dugan will leave, along with Milne. Taane could even be gone this year. Not a big salary to forward end contracts with, though.

Lafai. Packer. Mann. McCrone all stay for 2 years. Flo for one. Herbert, Thompson, Rubes, Field, Host, Sele and the young 9 all coming through.

Thats what I'd be looking at.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Hey BrissyRedV that amount sounds about right as from what I read that amount of $9.17mil includes allowances of $300k for long term player loyalty, so in essence the clubs can only spend $8.84mil which is below what was expected.
At least Flo would be guaranteed of that $300k sweetener for loyalty as I don't think we have any other players that fit the criteria.

Coffs
I think JDB also qualifies as from next year.
As it is 8 seasons.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gareth67

First Grade
The situation with Dugan is he was payed overs 4 years ago believed to be 850k . Since then he has become a Origin and now Test player . He has also been easily our best and most consistent player over the last 3 years .

Now Millward in his wisdom has decided he is a club centre not a fullback ( absolute bullshit ) so he has asked a current Test player to take a pay cut which is a insult . No other club would insult there Test players like that . So I am guessing Dugan is feeling a touch insulted by the fact he has busted his arse in a club with average management , coaching staff and until this year a ordinary playing roster .

And now with the cap increase and the Dragons on the up he of all the players deserves to be treated with a touch more respect . I have no doubt no other club will pay him 1 mill . And I don't believe it will take that figure to keep him a Dragon . I believe a offer of around what he is on now or a touch more for maybe 4 years like Widdop would keep him . But to lose him for the sake of 100 or 150k is insane .

He may not be worth that to other clubs but he is to our club . Everything about Dugan typifies what is great about our club . And finally everybody at the club has been banging on about our " Power game " Well he suits that to a tee . He is the most powerful fullback in attack and defence playing .

You have explained that very well , GC Dragon . I believe that he was actually signed for $780k per year , which as you mentioned was overs , more so when considering his circumstances at the time . The man has certainly earned that money whilst with the Dragons and hopefully will continue to play with us .

But you have shown me , how he would possibly be looking at the current situation - that being from top dollar to less dollars . So yes , I can see how he , or for that matter any player , would regard that as a slap in the face , for services rendered .
Unfortunately however , he or his agent have painted themselves into a bit of a corner , by asking for ' X ' amount of dollars , whatever that may be .

Now that the revised salary-cap has come into effect , one which all (?) clubs must adhere to , what becomes obvious to all , is that there is now less money in the piggy bank , for Duges . Hopefully the Joint Venture can back- end a new contract , that will be acceptable to both Josh and the Dragons .

Error , the original amount for Duges was $780k , not $870k ,as I had previously wrote . :eek:

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
I would assume Dugan has been also earning as a rep player, taking his wage to well over 900k, he may not get picked as much in future and therefore is trying to get it in his next club deal...i would be doing the same if i was him. But i agree with the above comments he typifies what we want in a player, SIGN HIM UP, GIVE WHAT HE WANTS.

Old Timer

Coach
As far as the Big Red V is concerned re a FB for 2018 and beyond it should now just be down to 2 it's either Dugan or Noone.
After all the debate it is plainly obvious that Noone can replace Dugan.
It will be shattering for the opposition when they make a break, look up and see Noone at home, so much scarier than seeing Duge's.

getsmarty

Immortal
As far as the Big Red V is concerned re a FB for 2018 and beyond it should now just be down to 2 it's either Dugan or Noone.
After all the debate it is plainly obvious that Noone can replace Dugan.
It will be shattering for the opposition when they make a break, look up and see Noone at home, so much scarier than seeing Duge's.

Millward has talked about Jai Field being eased into First grade in the Fullback spot. I would love to keep Duges and if that happens guys like Field may move on as there will be limited opportunity. Maybe they can start to blood Field as an impact player off the bench in 2018 ?

possm

Coach
Mary and Daley advocated Dugan as a centre. Mary played him at right centre for a few games before SOO and then Dugan was selected at right centre for SOO.

Millward is looking to place his juniors and fit players under the cap without losing key players. Field is the next junior back to be promoted and although Dufty was the anointed one for fullback, it seems he is now on the outer and Field is the one. However, Field is not robust enough for the position of first grade centre and won't be until maybe after the next off-season. So he is largely untested as first grade fullback.

Now that we have signed Widdop, there will be little opportunity for him to play at 6 and the only permanent positon for him would be fullback with Dugan moving to right centre.

So there we go. Considering we have Aitken at right centre, the funnel is crowded and so our 2018 coach will have to sort it all out.

The calm one

Juniors
Mary and Daley advocated Dugan as a centre. Mary played him at right centre for a few games before SOO and then Dugan was selected at right centre for SOO.

Millward is looking to place his juniors and fit players under the cap without losing key players. Field is the next junior back to be promoted and although Dufty was the anointed one for fullback, it seems he is now on the outer and Field is the one. However, Field is not robust enough for the position of first grade centre and won't be until maybe after the next off-season. So he is largely untested as first grade fullback.

Now that we have signed Widdop, there will be little opportunity for him to play at 6 and the only permanent positon for him would be fullback with Dugan moving to right centre.

So there we go. Considering we have Aitken at right centre, the funnel is crowded and so our 2018 coach will have to sort it all out.
That will be the coach who is coaching us now

Gareth67

First Grade
I would assume Dugan has been also earning as a rep player, taking his wage to well over 900k, he may not get picked as much in future and therefore is trying to get it in his next club deal...i would be doing the same if i was him. But i agree with the above comments he typifies what we want in a player, SIGN HIM UP, GIVE WHAT HE WANTS.

Saintsified , Matey , as you say , let's sign the man by all means , however that piggy bank that I mentioned , will still require enough in it , to sign that big brute named Packer.

I would hate to see him in another teams colours , the Dragons need him , if they are going to continue to breath fire .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Saintsified , Matey , as you say , let's sign the man by all means , however that piggy bank that I mentioned , will still require enough in it , to sign that big brute named Packer.

I would hate to see him in another teams colours , the Dragons need him , if they are going to continue to breath fire .

Gareth.
If we keep duges and imo we will.
I think we will lose either or both of lafai and expecially mann.
Packer will stay unless we don't want him. Imo
Just hang in there all will happen soon

possm

Coach
There has to be a reason why Packer has not been signed yet. I'm sure he wants to stay but will thee be enough coin left over. He will receive an offer from other clubs and unless we come close, he will move on.

Latest posts