What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan vows to ball play

blacksafake

First Grade
570260_640x360_large_20161011234355.jpg

Market Watch: Cow halts talks

2:13
Josh Dugan’s mission to become a ball playing fullback at the Dragons in 2017
  • 3 hours ago
  • by Nathan Ryan in Perth
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

JOSH Dugan has a message for the haters.

He can ball play and you’ll see it at the Dragons next season.

The 26-year-old Australia Test star has revealed to foxsports.com.au that he has a lofty goal set for himself in 2017 and it’s one which he hopes will help his club side reach the finals.

“Going back to the Dragons it’ll be bringing my passing game back,” Dugan declared.

“I feel like I’ve always had it and I do get doubted at times because I am a ball runner first.

“Back in Canberra I was setting up tries at will. When I got to the Dragons I went away from it and became more of a runner.

“I feel like I can just bring that back and spend more time passing and catching.”

d5297bcc3bd2d9786460d840e6b8b404

Josh Dugan during St George Illawarra Dragons training. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia
In Dugan’s eight years as a first grader, the fullback position has evolved to such a state where the No.1 essentially needs to play like a second five-eighth.

But that concept is something both Dugan and the Dragons have been criticised for not exploring enough.

“It irks me a little bit (when people doubt me) but I know what I’m capable of and my teammates know what I’m capable of,” he said.

“For me it was about sticking to the game plan and doing what the coaches wanted.”

To back up Dugan’s claims he can ball play, we’ve taken a look at the numbers.

The fullback played 70 games for the Raiders during his time in the nation’s capital, that’s only three games less than he’s totalled in the Red V.

According to the Fox Sports Lab, Dugan scored 27 tries for the Raiders and is currently sitting on 25 at the Dragons and averaged the same uses of the ball during his time at both clubs.

f02934cfcc6e698e9efc11526354b481

Josh Dugan scores a try for the Raiders. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Limited
But what he did with the ball at each club is where the numbers tell two very different stories.

Dugan set up 24 tries in his four and a half years with the Green Machine but has only produced eight at the Dragons.

He assisted six more linebreaks at Canberra with 20 and busted 446 tackles.

That’s 106 more tackles than his time in Wollongong.

Not only Dugan ball played more at the Raiders, but his running game was far more effective.

While the bulk of the work to bring back his passing game will happen during the pre-season in January, the Kangaroo said his return to the centres at Test level will help him hone his skills.

And with the departure of Benji Marshall from the Dragons, the fans can expect Dugan to become a lot more active with the ball in hand next season.

0757fbcde762dda90c64d3a99cc6e709

Josh Dugan scores a try for the PM's XIII. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia
“I’ve done that at times this year,” he said of his ball playing.

“The game plan we worked around at the Dragons during this year — Benji and Gaz would play together so I would always be on the short side so I didn’t get too many chances to ball play. Hopefully next year I get a few more opportunities.”

LINK TO ARTICLE: http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...7/news-story/815bf7c1c009a00d1d39c52a065f94df

http://www.foxsports.com.au

tumbidragon

First Grade
'JOSH Dugan has a message for the haters.'
Give me a f**king break. It's not hate, just a fact that Dugan has never been a decent ball playing FB... If he suddenly learns how to open up play for the rest of our outside backs, then happy days! All our problems are solved...

BennyV

Referee
Give me a f**king break. It's not hate, just a fact that Dugan has never been a decent ball playing FB... If he suddenly learns how to open up play for the rest of our outside backs, then happy days! All our problems are solved...
Rubbish, watch his Canberra highlights. Running was always his strength, but he was far from lacking ability to ball play.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Love this quote........

“For me it was about sticking to the game plan and doing what the coaches wanted.”

Well that is what every knows is the big problem bar the boof heads who think THAT coach with the game plan is doing a good job and keeping him around longer.

By Coaches I am assuming Mary, Hornby and Young. Because looking at Cutters, they certainly played with the ball hence had 1 of the best attacks in the comp.

betcats

Referee
24 Try assists in four years equals "setting up tries at will" lol give me a break Duges. Averaging less than 6 a year for a guy touching the ball as much as a quality FB like Dugan isn't good.

Turk

Juniors
“For me it was about sticking to the game plan and doing what the coaches wanted.” That says it all really. Mary was getting him to concentrate on his strengths which was running the ball but surely after having the worst attack in the last 2 years at some point you would let him ball play. If Dugan can do a half decent job next year ball playing and with the new addition of Nene Mcdonald theres no reason why our attack wont improve especially now that we know who our long term centre pairings are with Aitken and Taane. Most importantly no more swapping and changing like this year where we had Dugan playing centre, Kurt at the back... Lafai was picked ahead of Taane for majority of the season? All that didnt help our cause.

Reactions: Qdf

Dragsters

First Grade
Dugan set up 24 tries in his four and a half years with the Green Machine but has only produced eight at the Dragons.

This in particular tells me that while Mary's game plan was to play to dugans strength he failed to identify that In continuing with this tactic that it became predictable and opposition defences were easily able to nullify his ability to break tackles and reduce his effectiveness.

Poor coaching not to identify this and adjust the game plan accordingly.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I've never doubted his passing game but his ball playing will only be as effective as our attacking structure and shape, which going off the last 2 seasons is nothing short of horrible.

Credit to Dugan that he wants to take some ownership of our attack and be the go-to man, it's why he's such a competitor, but goddamn we need a coach who can structure an attack around Dugan's strengths.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
well we are paying him enough, he should have learned already for that type of dough

Thats all the players do is do alot of talking.

It would be nice if they said sfa instead of the cliche shit they dish up.

MattyDragon0028

Juniors
He just needs to be coached to he's strengths,
which hasn't happened for the last couple of years, due to the constant side line to sideline movement our halves do..... instead of playing straight and direct then him coming on to the ball hitting the hole

570260_640x360_large_20161011234355.jpg

Market Watch: Cow halts talks

2:13
Josh Dugan’s mission to become a ball playing fullback at the Dragons in 2017
  • 3 hours ago
  • by Nathan Ryan in Perth
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

JOSH Dugan has a message for the haters.

He can ball play and you’ll see it at the Dragons next season.

The 26-year-old Australia Test star has revealed to foxsports.com.au that he has a lofty goal set for himself in 2017 and it’s one which he hopes will help his club side reach the finals.

“Going back to the Dragons it’ll be bringing my passing game back,” Dugan declared.

“I feel like I’ve always had it and I do get doubted at times because I am a ball runner first.

“Back in Canberra I was setting up tries at will. When I got to the Dragons I went away from it and became more of a runner.

“I feel like I can just bring that back and spend more time passing and catching.”

d5297bcc3bd2d9786460d840e6b8b404

Josh Dugan during St George Illawarra Dragons training. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia
In Dugan’s eight years as a first grader, the fullback position has evolved to such a state where the No.1 essentially needs to play like a second five-eighth.

But that concept is something both Dugan and the Dragons have been criticised for not exploring enough.

“It irks me a little bit (when people doubt me) but I know what I’m capable of and my teammates know what I’m capable of,” he said.

To back up Dugan’s claims he can ball play, we’ve taken a look at the numbers.

The fullback played 70 games for the Raiders during his time in the nation’s capital, that’s only three games less than he’s totalled in the Red V.

According to the Fox Sports Lab, Dugan scored 27 tries for the Raiders and is currently sitting on 25 at the Dragons and averaged the same uses of the ball during his time at both clubs.

f02934cfcc6e698e9efc11526354b481

Josh Dugan scores a try for the Raiders. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Limited
But what he did with the ball at each club is where the numbers tell two very different stories.

Not only Dugan ball played more at the Raiders, but his running game was far more effective.

While the bulk of the work to bring back his passing game will happen during the pre-season in January, the Kangaroo said his return to the centres at Test level will help him hone his skills.

And with the departure of Benji Marshall from the Dragons, the fans can expect Dugan to become a lot more active with the ball in hand next season.

0757fbcde762dda90c64d3a99cc6e709

Josh Dugan scores a try for the PM's XIII. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia
“I’ve done that at times this year,” he said of his ball playing.

“The game plan we worked around at the Dragons during this year — Benji and Gaz would play together so I would always be on the short side so I didn’t get too many chances to ball play. Hopefully next year I get a few more opportunities.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au

I can only assume he's referring to his testicles.

Straight Shooter

giboz71

First Grade
Hate bashing Duges, clearly he's an amazing physical specimen, but I fear he just lacks basic footy IQ.

I remember one game, when we were hot on attack and we got a six again call with a play the ball 2m out from the try line. Duges was at dummy half, and proceeds to throw a 20m pass to Nabuli who was standing 2 inches from the touch line. Nabuli barely stayed in play - on tackle zero, with 7 tackles up our sleeve! And last year, how many times was he run into touch by running poor lines? Sometimes on tackle 1.

This just highlights a lack of awareness and feel for the game. When FB's were just runners and just hit it up on kick returns, you can get away with FB's not having to think. But these days, they are lynchpins of an attack and really should have the same skills as a half (passing, kicking, decision making). Hence guys like Boyd, Moylan, Barba and Coote are so effective. Gives their team another option at the back.

We don't get that with Duges. He just doesn't have the skill set. Yes he's an amazing runner and defender, but with the coin we pay him, he needs to be doing more.

Uplifting

Juniors
There would have been a reason why Josh Dugan was told not to pass, by the coaches. In saying that, if he puts the work in and believes in himself he will develop his ability - I wouldn't be aiming at throwing any overly impressive cut out passes to begin with though if I were him.

This reminds of when Rein decided he play 80mins. The result was someone else (Havili) had to miss out. I'd still like to see Dufty in the team next year - even if it meant Duges played in another position.

giboz71

First Grade
There would have been a reason why Josh Dugan was told not to pass, by the coaches. In saying that, if he puts the work in and believes in himself he will develop his ability - I wouldn't be aiming at throwing any overly impressive cut out passes to begin with though if I were him.

This reminds of when Rein decided he play 80mins. The result was someone else (Havili) had to miss out. I'd still like to see Dufty in the team next year - even if it meant Duges played in another position.

It's not his passing. It's his decision making and instincts. I'm sure if we asked him to pass the ball in a training situation, he'd hit the mark every time. It's in the heat of battle when you have to make a split second decision under fatigue that he falls short.

When the FB receives the ball, does he:

- Run?
- Put the ball through the hands to take advantage of numbers?
- Throw a cut out to take advantage of an outside support who has spotted a gap?
- Kick for your outside runners?

Guys like Coote, Boyd, Moylan and Barba always get this right. They show the same smarts as the best halves in the comp. Boyd set up try after try for us in 2010 from FB. Heck, even Quinlan showed us while playing for the Cutters how its done.

Duges shows us none of this, and was part of the reason why our attack was so shite.

BrissyRedV

Bench
As I have said on a number of threads, Dugan and the rest of the players are victims for the most part, of poor coaching and structures. Fix this and we will see a marked improvement from all. Whether Duges can be coached to change his instinct to run everytime, is up in the air.

Latest posts