What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan

Steelman

Juniors
Apart from the hand injury he suffered at the end of the year. He is probably not quite good enough at the moment to unseat slater, Inglis, Boyd, Hayne. Also doesn't have the versatility of those in front of him.
But he is still young im sure his time will come.

TheRev

Coach
Dugan is a gifted player, but hes not in the class of Slater or Inglis, not to mention he is hard to fit into a team structure as hes not that good at setting up other players, which Hayne could do as virtually an extra 5/8.

Minh

First Grade
Slater and Inglis are the benchmark fullbacks, if Dugan plays really well over the next 4 years he can join that company.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Can't see how Boyd keeps cracking this fantastic Aus backline. His rep career *highlights* include re-runs of him flopping over a try-line... and... him flopping over a try-line again.

Minh

First Grade
There are many other faster more talented and better finishing wingers than Boyd but I think he's selected on the basis of being the incumbent and a solid and safe option.

jubbsy

Juniors
There are many other faster more talented and better finishing wingers than Boyd but I think he's selected on the basis of being the incumbent and a solid and safe option.

I could watch that Matt Cooper tackle on Boyd everyday for the rest of my life.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Dugan is a gifted player, but hes not in the class of Slater or Inglis, not to mention he is hard to fit into a team structure as hes not that good at setting up other players, which Hayne could do as virtually an extra 5/8.

If I had it my way, I'd have you banned for some blasphemy.

Say 50 Hail Dugans.

Mr Red

First Grade

and he is versatile - can play fulback..and versatile players is what you need on a touring party where you have limited players to choose from..

hence anotehr reason why Dugan misses out - he is not as versatile as others that have been selected.

jubbsy

Juniors
Could you jog my memory Jubbsy - which tackle are you referring to?

At Kogarah last year v Knights. I think Boyd may have been returning the ball from a kick in NC's 20m and Coops went in with a one on one smother and stopped him dead. Boyd didn't get up for some time.

TheRev

Coach
Off-topic, but since were talking Boyd, I watched the Aussie vs USA game from the weekend, the back 5 were:
Boyd | Inglis | Slater | Hayne | BMoz

My thoughts were:

o Boyd: I always get frustrated with his selection for qld/aus, because I think there are enough dedicated wingers who are far more niche in that position.. but.. I will give Boyd credit, he is a c***, but hes a damn professional one, he has attitude & he just doesnt let you down, hes always backing up.. and scores far too many tries (granted who wouldnt outside Inglis, but he creates them too with clever play, he is more than just a winger, as we saw for the Dragons in 2010)

o Fullbacks: 4 Fullbacks in the back 5 did provide great cover for Slaters injury, but they could probably have 1 less fullback & 1 more dedicated centre (in the end DCE had to play centre).. however Hayne actually did do an outstanding job, scoring 4 tries and setting up some for BMoz, and that would clear up the problem for NSW in selections if he can make the spot his own.. but there is no way Parra would play their best player at centre... it would open up Dugan however for NSW fullback.

o BMoz: He was on right side, did an outstanding job, took the line on several times in his 4 try romp, but it was the USA defending.. id still prefer to see BMoz on the left side outside Inglis, id say within 1-2yrs the new breed of superstar wingers will be ready anyway for the right side & hopefully BMoz gets his rightful spot back.. he doesnt provide as much versatility as Boyd though, but hes more likely to pull off a freak wingers try too.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
If I had it my way, I'd have you banned for some blasphemy.

Say 50 Hail Dugans.

I believe the prayer is actually 'Our Dugan'...as recited in Jubilee Ave:

Our Dugan,
Who art in the Red V,
Football be thy game.
Thy kingdom come, and games be won
At Kogarah, as they are in The Gong.
Give us this day our daily tries
And forgive us our boasting,
As we forgive those who score tries against us.
And lead us not into Cronulla,
But deliver us our premiership.
Amen

BrissyRedV

Bench
I believe the prayer is actually 'Our Dugan'...as recited in Jubilee Ave:

Our Dugan,
Who art in the Red V,
Football be thy game.
Thy kingdom come, and games be won
At Kogarah, as they are in The Gong.
Give us this day our daily tries
And forgive us our boasting,
As we forgive those who score tries against us.
And lead us not into Cronulla,
But deliver us our premiership.
Amen

Hallelujah!