What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Interested to know if you think he will be re- signed next year.
Big year for him this year to prove he can adapt as a modern day fullback. Can't see him playing in the centres, he's wasted out there.
Personally I think they will re-sign him but on a significantly reduced contract. Thoughts?

fedzy

Juniors
depends if they stick to the sweep play, that is about 10 years old, or design the attack to using his skill in broken play.

Only good thing about 2017, is Mary will be sacked.

Mr Red

First Grade
They will attempt to keep him, and it wouldn't surprise me if they offered him "Thurston-like" money to stay.......

Not saying I agree, just think this is how it will play out given their current mentality towards player signings.

hazzbeen

Bench
They will attempt to keep him, and it wouldn't surprise me if they offered him "Thurston-like" money to stay.......

Not saying I agree, just think this is how it will play out given their current mentality towards player signings.
If we are going to pay him big money Id rather we look else where , but then again is or will there be a ball playing fullback available ?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
A more pertinent question is whether Dugan WANTS to stay.

We've already seen Marshall accept less renumeration to play for Brisbane.

Personally, I believe Widdop will depart at season's end....and who could blame him? He's gone from a top notch five-eighth to a 'nuffy' under McGregor.

Yes, I'm aware my last sentence will amuse some, but my 'care factor' is zero.

Dragsters

First Grade
Marshall went to the donkeys for less than he was on here but more than the Dragons offered which was nothing as they withdrew their offer.

Pretty sure he would have stayed in Sydney (as he always stated it was his first choice) for the same or less than what he ended up with.

Not sure he "accepted less to play for brisbane"

watatank

Coach
I'd be trying to sign Valentine Holmes or Kalyn Ponga...but I think we will end up sign Dugan to play fullback temporarily and hope Dufty develops so we can switch Dugan to centre.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Put Dugan under a decent coach with a game plan based on his strengths and a decent halves pairing and the guy would go close to winning a Dally M

I don't think so. Dugan is no where near the best fullbacks or best players in the game. To win a Dally M, a player needs to create for others as well as himself and Dugan doesn't really do either. He returns the ball well and is a pretty good defensive fullback.

Gareth67

First Grade
Watch the game on tele this morning , I thought he has a solid game , until the head - clash .
As has been said , until the right coach arrives at the Dragons , i'am afraid that his better games will be the Rep. games . Good coaches will always bring out the best in a player .

Saint Jimmy G , I believe is on the money , when he suggests that , it will be more a case of IF he wishes to stay .
He may very well decide that his playing style , as a broken - play runner , would be put to better use at another club - Bulldogs , who were after him , you can be sure that they will make another play for him , as will both Manly and the Roosters .

Quite simply , we have not seen the best of Josh Dugan here at the Dragons , however the same could be said for most of our players .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Without Dugan these last few years we would have been even worse.
Starting sets 20 metres closer to our try line.
Heaps more tries scored against us.
His attacking game has been reduced to shit by our wanker coaches and we have never seen the best of him.
We are lucky that we got him when we did and IMO he brings plenty to our club.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I agree that Dugan has pulled his weight but
believe he is paid too much if he is on $700,000 per annum. We should probably keep him as I think that Dufty will end up in the halves where he could be devastating
setting up and scoring tries. Dufty is a lot like Barba , Johnson, Milford and Moylan and we need to encourage him to play that way by
searching out the gaps a la Steve Morris who was considerably smaller but very effective at scoring long and short range tries. Mann could ultimately be a good ally in the halves.
What a dynamic combination they could be! Mary and Ian please take note!

Lethal25

Juniors

Not signing Marshall and rein speaks differently to me, I have to disagree

Dragon Revival

Juniors
On Zero Tackle it is reported that Dugan is on $800,000 not $700,000 per annum. Doust sure got suckered in. $200,000 extra could have gone to Jack Bird which may have kept him. Probably that is another reason why Brett Morris left apart from McGregor amd playing with his brother.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I think that our spine will end up Dugan, Widdop/Mann, Hutchison/Dufty and Havili /McInnes which I think would be fairly competitive.

Excellent defender

No longer has the speed and agility nor is he capable of acting as a ball distributor

He is used as a battering ram and is now very injury prone

In my view clearly not the answer at Full Back in the medium term

Time to give Mann and Dufty their opportunity

When Frank Facer was in charge of managing the roster he would generally cut players before they completely reached their used by date. This is part of the reason the team won 11 in a row

The team was improved and freshened up with astute recruitment

Unlike today where our ability to astutely recruit is generally non-existent