What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dykesamania running wild

Special K

Coach
I figure this 3rd generation kid deserves his own thread. Adam Dykes is one player that is tattooed into my early Sharks memory so this is pretty cool to see. Epic that he knocked back Wayne and Gus to back himself at the Sharks.

Rookie Sharks fullback Kade Dykes will cap an extraordinary week by making his NRL debut just days after knocking back two of the game’s most influential figures in Wayne Bennett and Phil Gould.
In a week the rising star will never forget, Dykes will become a third-generation Shark after being chosen in the No. 1 jumper in a sold-out local derby against St George-Illawarra at PointsBet Stadium on Saturday night.

Incredibly, Dykes will become just the second third-generation player to play for the same club as his father and grandfather in the game’s history, following on from Manly’s Zac Fulton last week.

Replacing injured Sharks fullback Will Kennedy, the son of 183-game Shark, Adam Dykes, and grandson to former Cronulla backrower John Dykes, the 20-year-old has been rewarded for both his blistering NSW Cup form and loyalty to the black, white and blue.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

Kade Dykes is set to make his NRL debut with the Sharks. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images

Kade Dykes is set to make his NRL debut with the Sharks. Picture: Brett Hemmings/Getty Images
Nearing the end of his current Sharks deal, Dykes had spent the past month in negotiations with the Sharks, Dolphins and Bulldogs.

It’s understood both Bennett and Gould offered the elusive ball-runner, who can also play centre or five-eighth, the promise of a cherished first grade fullback spot in 2023 at The Dolphins and Canterbury.

Hugely respectful of both Bennett and Gould’s rugby league intellect and standing within the game, the decision to leave Cronulla, the club he grew-up supporting, weighed heavily on young Dykes.

Yet last Thursday, the De La Salle local junior walked through the front door of his family home with tears in his eyes, to inform his parents, “I’m staying at the Sharks.”

Former Sharks legend Adam Dykes (R) with his son, Kade (L). Picture: Tim Hunter.

Former Sharks legend Adam Dykes (R) with his son, Kade (L). Picture: Tim Hunter.

Dykes agreed to terms on a new two-year deal until the end of 2025 with Cronulla on Monday, the excitement of a new deal surpassed only by Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon informing the prodigious talent his dream would be achieved against the Dragons, on of all days, Cronulla Old Boys Day.

Following hugs and high-fives from the entire Sharks NRL squad, the rookie immediately phoned his emotional mum and dad.

“My wife (Nicole) hasn’t stopped crying through sheer pride,’’ Adam told The Daily Telegraph.

“We’re extremely proud because we know how hard he’s worked. He’s got here through determination and hard work.

“Of course, to play for the club that his dad and grandfather played for, is pretty special.

“To be playing in a local derby in front of a full house on Old Boys Day, Dad and I will both be in the stands, for sure.

“The whole family is just so proud of him and thankful to Fitzy (Fitzgibbon), who has been tremendous for Kade.”

A Cronulla local junior, just like his skilful father who debuted for the Sharks as an 18-year-old in 1995, Dykes has impressed the entire Sharks coaching staff with his development, particularly over the past six weeks with sizzling performances for Newtown in the NSW Cup.

Dykes has outgunned Fitzgibbon’s other fullback option, Lachie Miller, for the chance to make his debut.
Dykes has scored eight tries in 13-games for the Jets, while also producing nine try assists in 13 games, with an average of five tackle busts per-game.

He is also averaging 130 run metres per game.

chewsta

First Grade
Jesus he looks like his dad!

Fitzy the cunning old fox playing the emotional/mental strategy very well here.
A new contract and a well earned debut in a local derby against a team he has been programmed to hate since birth LOL and on old boys day too! Kade will be absolutely frothing and jumping out of his skin by kick off.

txta2

Bench
Trust Gould and Bennett to put a rookie straight in teams they are building

chewsta

First Grade
I'm calling it, a try on debut for the young man.

A multi of Sharks to win into Ronnie/connor/Kade all as anytime try scorers at $12.50 looks juicy for those of you who like a bet.

Special K

Coach

Just watched this f**k doesn't he look like Adam when he passes on that break around the 53 second mark. Those long torpedo passes will need to be tightened up for FG.

Barely seen this kid play but I am excited at the story and history! He looked a class above in the 20s game vs Knights at home. Btw did anyone see that Stonestreet fella last weekend? Looked fast as with one 90m try. He got a double from memory and the other winger got 4!

Yes seen quite a bit of Stonestreet’s highlights on the NSW Rugby League Highlights. Definitely looks quick. Frenzy mentioned him before on the forum as a bit of a prospect.

R-15-3

Juniors
Something very unique about his footwork but can’t put my finger on it.
Manages to get through traffic with easy might be he is just as comfortable of both feet that makes his movements look unpredictable.

Eion

First Grade

Just watched this f**k doesn't he look like Adam when he passes on that break around the 53 second mark. Those long torpedo passes will need to be tightened up for FG.

Barely seen this kid play but I am excited at the story and history! He looked a class above in the 20s game vs Knights at home. Btw did anyone see that Stonestreet fella last weekend? Looked fast as with one 90m try. He got a double from memory and the other winger got 4!
And the Nelly background music. Just came.

Latest posts