What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dykesamania running wild

Big Bloke

Juniors
Anyone on here a diabetic and using Metformin? I only take one tablet a night but it plays havoc with my bowel movements that's for sure.

Quigs

Immortal
I am on metformin Bloke. I know if I control my diet I am cool and my blood sugar is fine. But I've inherited my dear mums sweet tooth gene and can't stay away from the sweet foods.

Yeah so I take two a day when I play up.

Got to have some vices. I don't drink, smoke, gamble, or associate with bad women or attend places of ill repute. f**k I am a boring old sod.

My reading was 6.5 on the richter scale this morning, but Ive been up in the high 7s. I take a glucose test every morning when I wake up.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Anyone on here a diabetic and using Metformin? I only take one tablet a night but it plays havoc with my bowel movements that's for sure.

Tried that, had same problem. Told the doc to shove it up their bum.

Ask for Jardiance

Big Bloke

Juniors
I am on metformin Bloke. I know if I control my diet I am cool and my blood sugar is fine. But I've inherited my dear mums sweet tooth gene and can't stay away from the sweet foods.

Yeah so I take two a day when I play up.

Got to have some vices. I don't drink, smoke, gamble, or associate with bad women or attend places of ill repute. f**k I am a boring old sod.

My reading was 6.5 on the richter scale this morning, but Ive been up in the high 7s. I take a glucose test every morning when I wake up.
Thanks Quigs. I am the same with the sweet tooth mate, just can't seem to stop and it frustrates the hell out of me. I have days where I stick at it but then have days where I just don't give a shit. I don't drink, smoke or gamble either (so we are two boring old farts - I'm 58) or the other pleasures you mentioned. I'm lucky I've got a lovely wife who tries her utmost to look after me. I have a young son who is 12 and I want to be here when he hits 21 that's for sure.

When I had my last blood test, my blood sugar was high end 6's but I have to admit, I'm a bit scared to go an have another one as I'm sure it will be in the 7s or higher.

Anyway we are getting off the topic a bit aren't we? Thread about a young 20 year old with the world at his feet and we're talking about us old buggers and our afflictions. Anyway, good luck to you Quigs, despite the boring outlook, at least you are looking after your health and looking to hang around for a few more years yet.

Quigs

Immortal
f**k looking after the young blokes and their threads Bloke. Us boring old farts rule the world. f**k em !!!

We are fully paid up card carrying members of the "Back in our Day" gang and long may we rule.

Big Bloke

Juniors
f**k looking after the young blokes and their threads Bloke. Us boring old farts rule the world. f**k em !!!

We are fully paid up card carrying members of the "Back in our Day" gang and long may we rule.
Yes mate. As Waylon and Willie said, old age and treachery always overcomes youth and skill!

Marchad

Juniors
Thanks Quigs. I am the same with the sweet tooth mate, just can't seem to stop and it frustrates the hell out of me. I have days where I stick at it but then have days where I just don't give a shit. I don't drink, smoke or gamble either (so we are two boring old farts - I'm 58) or the other pleasures you mentioned. I'm lucky I've got a lovely wife who tries her utmost to look after me. I have a young son who is 12 and I want to be here when he hits 21 that's for sure.

When I had my last blood test, my blood sugar was high end 6's but I have to admit, I'm a bit scared to go an have another one as I'm sure it will be in the 7s or higher.

Anyway we are getting off the topic a bit aren't we? Thread about a young 20 year old with the world at his feet and we're talking about us old buggers and our afflictions. Anyway, good luck to you Quigs, despite the boring outlook, at least you are looking after your health and looking to hang around for a few more years yet.
I tried to go keto a couple of years ago. On day 4 of having no sugars in my diet. I went the supermarket to get some groceries, and the only thing I noticed was the sugary products. That was the end of my keto experiment. But that double glazed donut was delicious.

Big Bloke

Juniors
I tried to go keto a couple of years ago. On day 4 of having no sugars in my diet. I went the supermarket to get some groceries, and the only thing I noticed was the sugary products. That was the end of my keto experiment. But that double glazed donut was delicious.
Yeah mate. I tried vegan too, but that didn’t work. It’s amazing how much sugar is in vegan products!

Quigs

Immortal
I went on the whole food diet for a long time. Actually enjoyed it, still do. Dropped the weight slow and steady and probably quiet easily slip back into it.

But gradually started being unable to knock back the temptations of the sweet goodies.

But Ive kept my weight down to nearly where I want it.

In my humble opinion that is the biggest contributor to problems. It is the weight youse carry around.

shaggs

Coach
I’m telling you lot. Go the carnivore.
Steak, eggs, raw milk and honey. That’s it

Odd bit of chicken and odd piece of fruit.

No nuts, no veggies. That will fix your diabetes

Quigs

Immortal
I was so glad that I had given up the piss not long before I was diagnosed as a type 2er. I know that if I had been told during my drinking days I would not of been able to get it under control.

I was never a bloke that had to have a beer every day or had to have a drink early. I could have a carton in the fridge that would last me for weeks. But if someone rocked up of course we'd crack it open.

I loved going to the pub and if I went to the pub it was to drink schooners. Usually anything between 8 to 12 or more. And to the pub i went often, very farcan often.

I can never condone evil drunken heathens because I was one myself. Loved a beer with the boyz. Was a member of the Tradies at Gymea at 16. So I had a long run consuming the nectar of the gods.

But, just like the ad, I got sick of it. Decided it was time (was 50) to start looking after 'meself' as I had given the body beautiful a more then solid hiding for 34 years.

It is interesting to watch through sober eyes that over a lengthy time the blokes you drank and hung out with have slipped from super to mid strength to lite.

FUNNY THANG. It is amazing how many blokes side up to you and quietly say that they wish that they could give it up or at least cut back.

Big Bloke

Juniors
I was so glad that I had given up the piss not long before I was diagnosed as a type 2er. I know that if I had been told during my drinking days I would not of been able to get it under control.

I was never a bloke that had to have a beer every day or had to have a drink early. I could have a carton in the fridge that would last me for weeks. But if someone rocked up of course we'd crack it open.

I loved going to the pub and if I went to the pub it was to drink schooners. Usually anything between 8 to 12 or more. And to the pub i went often, very farcan often.

I can never condone evil drunken heathens because I was one myself. Loved a beer with the boyz. Was a member of the Tradies at Gymea at 16. So I had a long run consuming the nectar of the gods.

But, just like the ad, I got sick of it. Decided it was time (was 50) to start looking after 'meself' as I had given the body beautiful a more then solid hiding for 34 years.

It is interesting to watch through sober eyes that over a lengthy time the blokes you drank and hung out with have slipped from super to mid strength to lite.

FUNNY THANG. It is amazing how many blokes side up to you and quietly say that they wish that they could give it up or at least cut back.
Good on you Quigs.

I have a mate who used to live in the Shire like yourself but has now moved away - he is in the Port Stephens area.

Back in the 80s when we were younger men, my mate would pretty much drink anything and try anything, get pissed every weekend, get high every weekend etc. He loved his beer but would put away equally pernod and cokes, sambuccas, bourbons, anything you could think of and while he was never into coke or speed or heroin, he was a constant use of the wacky tobaccy and we all did worry a bit about how long he would be on this earth. He himself said that he was here for a good time, not a long time and was 100% sure he would never make 50. It would be an absolute bonus if he made it that far.

So fast forward to 2022 and he is now 63 years of age and completely sober. He has been off the grog and the other stuff for more than 15 years, he is living with a lovely woman who I think rescued him and he is living the dream. He has no inclination to go back to the good old days and has accepted that he can no longer partake in the past pleasures of life. He loves the laid back life of Port Stephens, he has a good steady job, sells vintage records at the local markets and looks as fit as a fiddle. He loves his Sharkies too and is really enjoying this season.

Both yourself and my mate have shown that getting yourself into shape can be done and the good life can still be led.

Special K

Coach
Awesome. I have 15 more years of being a belting pisshead before I have to look after myself. Inspiring legends!!

Latest posts