What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastmond v Tomkins

JasonE

Bench
What an exciting clash between these two classy youngsters in the Saints v Wigan derby. After playing against each other many times in their junior days and now at senior level, it wouldn't surprise if they finally team up at International level for England in the near future.

jim_57

Staff member
it's scary how good eastmond is gonna be...

I'm yet to be convinced he is a half though, IMO he would be best suited to fullback.

How good will it be to see in a few years the England backline:

1. K Eastmond
2. T Briscoe
3. R Atkins
4. M Shenton
5. R Owen
6. S Tomkins
7. R Myler

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I would love to see the kid in action. Is he a regular first grader at Saints this year? What games has he shined in so far?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Every game he has played pretty much. Being given a run at the moment because Long is out, and it would be a big disappointment if they don't give him first crack next year. Both Eastmond and Tomkins were on Sky last weekend. You can watch highlights of all the games on superleague.co.uk if you are that desperate.

WireMan

Bench
Tomkins is a grub, and a cry baby.

Eastmond looks good, but has had it easy. Next year without Cunningham running the show Eastmond will have to step up and control a game. Then we will see if he is gonna be very good, or world class.

Myler looks very good for Salford in a much weaker team.

oh and in the future the England backline will have Penny in at 5.

nadera78

Juniors
Stefan Ratchford is the one I like the look of. An old fashioned stand off who organises well, passes off both hands, kicks beautifully and reads the game too. Myler is a talented player, but he's a poacher and needs an organiser alongside him to control the team.

JasonE

Bench
Stefan Ratchford is the one I like the look of. An old fashioned stand off who organises well, passes off both hands, kicks beautifully and reads the game too. Myler is a talented player, but he's a poacher and needs an organiser alongside him to control the team.

Ratchford is a good allround player, Luke Gale at Quins is the same age and is coming on really well.
I just wish SL clubs would take a look at Kyle Briggs and Andy Kain at Fev.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Andy Kain has already played Super League and didn't go well. Not sure Briggs is good enough to step up but we'll see, Castleford were supposed to be after him last year but obviously nothing came of it.

Ryan Brierly and Cain Southernwood are two more young halves with massive potential who will be looking to debut in the next year or so. Also I know they're not English but I do like the look of William Barthau at Catalans and Lloyd White at Celtic.

PMSL at Wireman's post. That guy does talk some garbage.

Last edited:

JasonE

Bench
Just on Andy Kain, he wasn't ready for Super League before but i think now he has had a solid couple of years playing good footy will have done him the world of good. If Ben Jeffries can keep gaining contracts (Celtic) then i think Kain is worth a shout.:lol:

I remember watching Briggs man of the match display against Penrith Panthers two years ago when at Leeds, he looked a better player than Wade Graham and Lachlan Coote who are now good quality NRL players, I'd like to see him get an opportunity even at a club like Salford who are losing Myler & Turner, he cannot be any worse than the former North Sydney reserve grader Jeremy Smith.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Briggs was at Doncaster last season, and at the start of this until they had their financial troubles.

WireMan

Bench
PMSL at Wireman's post. That guy does talk some garbage.

Guess we'll see who plays best in the final then eh?

Tomkins is a horrible little player, who needs to learn how to tackle without tripping the player. Maybe not whining about every decision might help. King should of battered him.

Eastmond isn't good enough YET to control a game, he may do one day, i think he will be a better full back because he plays on instinct but at the moment IMO he isn't as good as Myler at half back. Felt for the scouse git yesterday he tried despite his injury but maybe he tried to hard.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Tomkins is a horrible little player, who needs to learn how to tackle without tripping the player. Maybe not whining about every decision might help. King should of battered him.
Says it all about your opinions on this player and the objectivity of your views in general, also the selection of Penny for England is just beyond laughable and absurd.

WireMan

Bench
Says it all about your opinions on this player and the objectivity of your views in general, also the selection of Penny for England is just beyond laughable and absurd.

We will see about Penny, just because you don't see it doesn't make it laughable and absurd. This is your cue to tell me why i'm wrong and tell me the other wonder kids for the left wing that will play instead of him.

Tomkins is very hyped up. He hasn't actually done anything good for Wigan, nothing no-one else could of done. Maybe one day but not yet.

Oh and a whisper on the streets is that Eastmond will sign for Union team Sale Sharks in the near future...

WireMan

Bench
why cos he looks like jason robinson...

Was one of the theories behind the rumour yes!! :)

He has rugby skills, he can run, kick (very important in Union) and pass. These attributes are missing from most Union players.

I hope its not true, i'd rather him play for Stains than be lost to the game.

mouse13

Juniors
Penny is a poor mans Mark Calderwood. Just because he is fast doesnt make him a good player. HTH