What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts could be the first winners at both State and National level

rwaite

Juniors
Easts have an amazing opportunity to have a shot at an unique achievement.

Should they win the Grand Final and then go on to beat the NSW Cup premiers then they become both the first team to win at the State level (they won the first Qld State League comp back in 1982) as well as the first team at this level to win at the National level.

Go the Tigers!!!

Titanic

First Grade
I think the Cairns mob may have something to say about that ... I still can't get over their name though ... has a distinctive Mardi Gras ring to it.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Was about to create a new thread but might as well raise it here.

With the respective winners of the Qld and NSW cup set to go up against each on GF day, what's the big prize for the teams now? Of course winning the QLD cup is a huge achievement but would be interesting to know how the winner from this Sunday celebrates the victory and prepares for the NSW opponent a week later....

Will it be a matter of "OK, good game fells. Now we have to back-up for next week." or "great! we are the champions. Time to get on the sauce for the next 2 days then think about the game in Sydney after the headache dissapears".

siv

First Grade
My understanding g is that South Sydney has already won such a clash back in 1968

The Partisan

Was about to create a new thread but might as well raise it here.

With the respective winners of the Qld and NSW cup set to go up against each on GF day, what's the big prize for the teams now? Of course winning the QLD cup is a huge achievement but would be interesting to know how the winner from this Sunday celebrates the victory and prepares for the NSW opponent a week later....

Will it be a matter of "OK, good game fells. Now we have to back-up for next week." or "great! we are the champions. Time to get on the sauce for the next 2 days then think about the game in Sydney after the headache dissapears".

Yes i have vaguely alluded to this in my other GF thread. In a way its a shame that both teams don't really get a chance to celebrate 'in style' after their respective state wins. That doesn't necessarily mean going over board - just perhaps having a few beers through the course of the week with various friends and family and of course team mates.

However, many of us have called for its inclusion to the calendar, and i am sure the players would be keen to pick up the National Title.

I suppose it could be likened to wrapping a 3 game series at game 2 but knowing there is a third game to go. Albeit the games only one week apart.

rwaite

Juniors
My understanding g is that South Sydney has already won such a clash back in 1968

Yes, Souths Sydney ended up thrashing Brothers something like 55-18 in 1968.

Brothers attitude towards the game highlighted what has been mentioned here. I hear they got on the grog and didn't treat it too seriously (Qld did the same in LA in 1987).

Does anyone know if they're have been any other such Brisbane winners v Sydney winners games? I think there was one around WW1. I believe the Sydney winners often played a combined Brisbane team from time to time in the old days.

Brutus

Referee
At least the Easts Tigers beat North Sydney in the quarter final of the Amco Cup in 77.