What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts junior league clubs

newman

First Grade
From what I know, Bondi United are running 16 teams this year which is a pretty good result I reckon. The biggest club in the combined comp is Mascot who have 22 teams.

So it sounds like the recruiting did a reasonable job...what were some of the things they did? Genuine question mate - the Easts juniors is something I'm quite passionate about having grown up in the area and playing in that comp when it was stand alone in the 80's.

BU do really well in the u5's through to 10's and can be genuinely proud of their numbers. above that its struggletown. In terms of recruitment they hang banners, do shopping centre sign ups are all over the local media, bbq stuff at all the local pubs, school visits you really can't fault them. It's the private schools and compulsory union that shoot them to bits when the kids hit high school and they have no answers. And it's not like they get no support from the roosters. The fact is that St Charles is really only a junior club, considering it is primary school and paddo have about 5 teams, above u12s it's really only BU and the Crocs. They have first grade players on tap for clinics, appearances etc. Unfortunately, league is a niche sport in the district.

rls2002

Juniors
So if the teams are located in the Eastern suburbs but form part of the Souths side of the combined comp, then Souths basically did steal them.

No souths did not steal them... They are still part of the Eastern Suburbs Junior League.. Easts pay for the thier jersey etc.. But they were invited to play in the South Sydney Junior League as East only have 4 teams. They have played in the Souths juniors Comp for the last 15 years.

rls2002

Juniors
BU do really well in the u5's through to 10's and can be genuinely proud of their numbers. above that its struggletown. In terms of recruitment they hang banners, do shopping centre sign ups are all over the local media, bbq stuff at all the local pubs, school visits you really can't fault them. It's the private schools and compulsory union that shoot them to bits when the kids hit high school and they have no answers. And it's not like they get no support from the roosters. The fact is that St Charles is really only a junior club, considering it is primary school and paddo have about 5 teams, above u12s it's really only BU and the Crocs. They have first grade players on tap for clinics, appearances etc. Unfortunately, league is a niche sport in the district.

Every Junior League club i know does well from the 5's to the 10's. Alot of club's and district struggle from 10 up that is y alot of clubs are playing in Combined Comps and have joined to continue playing footy

rls2002

Juniors
Common sense for sure.

You thieving bastards stole em.

Nobody Stole them.. When most of thier clubs died and there was only 4 left they were invited to play in the Souffs Comp... Otherwise it would b a pretty a boring comp playing each other

rls2002

Juniors

Mascot has 30 teams so yes they are the strongest club in Souths Disctrict and Clovelly Crocs have 17 so that makes Clovelly the Strongest East Club Then Bondi

Last edited:

rls2002

Juniors
Souffs stole a whole bunch of Easts clubs. Some others jumped ship voluntarily. The remaining 4 play in Souffs comps.

This are facts. You're a dribbler.

You name the ones that Souths Stole??? and the ones who jumped... I never said there was not 4 east clubs playing in the Souths Comp... and im a dribbler... can u read

Last edited:

H.H

Juniors

Thanks for the info. Sounds like they're doing a great job.

As for the older ages, the problem is across the board. To give you an idea, when I played C grade (U19) in the late 80's we had 7 teams/clubs in the Easts only comp...good standard too. Souths in that same year had 12 C grade teams in their junior league ...19 teams in the same area.

Today there would be what? 3 C grade teams? Sad but a fact of life.

Your last comment re. It being a niche sport in the district is why I constantly argue the boundary issue. "the district" includes Coogee and Randwick at the very least which is why it bugs me that it's considered Souths territory.

adamkungl

Immortal
You name the ones that Souths Stole??? and the ones who jumped... I never said there was not 4 east clubs playing in the Souths Comp... and im a dribbler... can u read

I'll have to rephrase: Souffs stole Easts territories south of Rainbow St and east of Anzac Pde (Coogee, Randwick, Kensington, Maroubra, Malabar).

According to the book From Where The Sun Rises, when Maroubra and Malabar were handed over, Easts didn't fight the changes because at the time (1920s) the area was lowly populated and no clubs existed, and it was for the betterment of the competition.

Later we lost Randwick and Coogee. Stuff i've read seems to conflict on when and why this happened (either the 30s or the 50s..). This however is the most damaging part. Clubs such as the Wombats, Kensington, and others were formed in these areas. The heart of Souths junior nursery was taken directly from Easts.

When Newtown folded, Souths got their territories, Easts lobbied to have the boundaries redrawn for the some reasons they were decades before, but were voted down by a Souths influenced NSWRL board.

Later again (80s I think), Coogee Dolphins and Paddo Colts jumped ship, due to dissatisfaction with Easts management.

I'm trying to work out what's the story with Moore Park. The suburb lies within Easts boundaries. I can't work out if the club was formed under the Souths banner, or jumped ship.

Lambretta

First Grade
Nobody Stole them.. When most of thier clubs died and there was only 4 left they were invited to play in the Souffs Comp... Otherwise it would b a pretty a boring comp playing each other

No - he wasn't talking about the current clubs playing in the Souths comp he was referring to the fact that Coogee, Randwick and Maroubra ALL USED TO BE EASTERN SUBURBS JUNIORS AREAS

The items have been addressed by Adam above
Maroubra has been Souths for years - but Coogee and Randwick should NEVER have been taken. They were stolen in a dirty deal in a boundary share deal hammered out originally to stop Souths taking some area from Balmain.

Easts got shafted.

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
I'll have to rephrase: Souffs stole Easts territories south of Rainbow St and east of Anzac Pde (Coogee, Randwick, Kensington, Maroubra, Malabar).

According to the book From Where The Sun Rises, when Maroubra and Malabar were handed over, Easts didn't fight the changes because at the time (1920s) the area was lowly populated and no clubs existed, and it was for the betterment of the competition.

Later we lost Randwick and Coogee. Stuff i've read seems to conflict on when and why this happened (either the 30s or the 50s..). This however is the most damaging part. Clubs such as the Wombats, Kensington, and others were formed in these areas. The heart of Souths junior nursery was taken directly from Easts.

When Newtown folded, Souths got their territories, Easts lobbied to have the boundaries redrawn for the some reasons they were decades before, but were voted down by a Souths influenced NSWRL board.

Later again (80s I think), Coogee Dolphins and Paddo Colts jumped ship, due to dissatisfaction with Easts management.

I'm trying to work out what's the story with Moore Park. The suburb lies within Easts boundaries. I can't work out if the club was formed under the Souths banner, or jumped ship.

The Easts juniors system sure would look a lot different if it included Wombats and Dolphins.