What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts Tigers Enter Expansion Race

The Great Dane

First Grade
Obviously we don't know much about the bid based on one article, but on face value it looks like it could be a very good bid.

They're based in the city, they want to make a North vs South rivalry, they'll have to come up with a new brand, they've got money behind them, yeah they look pretty good.

Basically the Dolphins bid, but better.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Nothing beat Hockey teams

Ontario Reign
Cleveland Monsters
Syracuse Crunch

F2Tm9hAs_400x400.jpg

And of course Sound Tigers

1200px-Bridgeport_Sound_Tigers_logo.svg.png

The Great Dane

First Grade
They'd have to be a bit creative, but there are ways that they could stick close to their tiger and/or big cat theme and have something original and Australian at the same time.

For example they could call themselves something like the Predators or Carnivores, and use Thylacoleo (the Marsupial Lion) or Thylacine (Tasmania Tiger) as their logo/mascot.

They could also go with a tiger snake or tiger shark, etc.

There're ways that they could create a unique new brand that is true to their old one, and makes sense.

T-Boon

Coach
Brisbane Frogmouths or
Brisbane Ducks or
Brisbane Birds (some kind of eagle emblem)
Brisbane Owls
Brisbane Rosellas

I don't think they have any bird representation up there in any sport.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Admittedly my first reaction to the headline was to laugh.. but maybe there is some potential there. With all these bids you'd have to think the NRL would be picking the positives and negatives out of each one. Hopefully they'll go back to the bids and tell them what they'd need to present to be any chance.

Either way any of these bids would have to target a large part of the Brisbane area to be a chance in my opinion. If they go in without any real plan as to how they'll be a team for more than just their local area than they shouldn't be an option.

jim_57

Staff member
They'd have to be a bit creative, but there are ways that they could stick close to their tiger and/or big cat theme and have something original and Australian at the same time.

For example they could call themselves something like the Predators or Carnivores, and use Thylacoleo (the Marsupial Lion) or Thylacine (Tasmania Tiger) as their logo/mascot.

There're ways that they could create a unique new brand that is true to their old one, and makes sense.

Tiger Snakes playing in Yellow & Black?

Only issue I guess is the Tiger Snake is more common in Southern Australia.

GAZF

First Grade

Tiger snake would be an interesting one as their range just extends to Brisbane and it isn't stepping on the (non-existent) toes of any other top level team, other than the Taipans.

On a similar theme, I would like to see a top level team take on the goanna.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This was obviously going to happen....

Just because 4 bids are dumb enough to announce 10 years early doesnt mean they will be the only choice. Im sure a few more are ready to go and just waiting for the formal process.

That is not even mentioning that the ARLC could create their own idea of the perfect club and hand it of later...

The Great Dane

First Grade
This was obviously going to happen....

Just because 4 bids are dumb enough to announce 10 years early doesnt mean they will be the only choice. Im sure a few more are ready to go and just waiting for the formal process.

That is not even mentioning that the ARLC could create their own idea of the perfect club and hand it of later...

Yeah, it was inevitable.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Tiger snake would be an interesting one as their range just extends to Brisbane and it isn't stepping on the (non-existent) toes of any other top level team, other than the Taipans.

On a similar theme, I would like to see a top level team take on the goanna.

I was talking specifically about ways that they could create something that tangentially links back to their Tigers brand in a way, but there's no reason why they couldn't go with a goanna.

Sawfish would make a great mascot, and I'm pretty sure they used to be in Brisbane as well, so they could go with something like South Brisbane Sawfish or just Saws.

GAZF

First Grade
I was talking specifically about ways that they could create something that tangentially links back to their Tigers brand in a way, but there's no reason why they couldn't go with a goanna.
The goanna comment was more of an aside, based on the lack of reptiles as mascots.

Really like the Tiger Snake idea, but can't think of a catchy name that would work at the moment.

ground zero

Juniors
Brisbane Tigers would be a great brand in Brisbane. A great following all they have to do is Demerge the West Tigers an create the Brisbane Tigers a big following in Brisbane an Sydney. Alas the WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES ARISE FROM THE ASHES. Like Balmain are broke an all, an dont contribute money an owe millions any how. how good would this be.

mongoose

Coach
Don't Easts Brisbane own the Broncos Leagues Club ?

uh no, don't think so? Easts have a pretty big Leagues club in Coorparoo. They may own the Carina Leagues club as well but I'm not sure. Carina Leagues has a Tigers on its logo though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The more I think about it, the more I feel the best bid may be if Brisbane Easts & the Western Corridor bids united as one powerful "South-side" bid to stop Redcliffe (which is the WRONG bid to get the nod IMO)

If they can draw-in the people behind the Bombers bid as well, that may strengthen their case.

A team wearing Green (Jets) and Orange (Tigers), plus maybe white and/or black as trim would be pretty unique.

Especially if the shade of green is different to Souths and Canberra.

bit left field but what about conglomerate of BRL clubs and call them BRL something’s. Any BRL wanting buy in can be a part owner and feeder. Couldn’t get more grass roots than that. BRL United?

Diesel

Coach
Demerging Wests Tigers would be easy for the East Tigers bid but it’d be a hard sell down south