What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge forwards 2018

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I think a backrow of Lawrence, Taylor and McQueen will get monstered week in, week out next season.

Jesse Sue and Josh Aloiai have been shuffled between edge and middle over the past 18 months. It's not clear to me where they will end up next year?

2 players the club would do well to look at are dominating at NSW Cup level

Luciano Leilua can't get a game at the Dragons
Rhyse Martin is not playing NRL at Canterbury (and is a goalkicker to boot)

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/08/01/isp_nsw_team_of_the_.html

If nothing else these guys would complement the experienced starters. They'd be a step up from Lovett & Edwards who we can assume will be shown the door at seasons end.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't know. McQueen, Lawrence, ET, MCK & Marsters to me should be our edge backrowers. I think Aloiai & Sue don't work great on the edge.

I'm less worried about these guys to be honest. Lawrence runs it up hard and fast and runs good lines. ET is great defensively. I have no idea how McQueen will work out. MCK is really good at times but has a lot of mistakes in his game. If he gets rid of his mistakes he can be good. Marsters may also be able to do a job on the edge.

We do need a gun forward and ideally an edge player who is a gun but I think we may be okay on the edge. It won't be a strength but our middle forwards may be really good and in that scenario I think our edge forwards may be okay.

I think our real area of concern is a lack of class especially in the spine. Brooks can play well but he is inconsistent and not a great half. Reynolds has commitment and seems a good guy but Des went after Foran for a reason and that is Reynolds isn't really helping his team win games. Tui at this point isn't a gun player although he shows signs but a full time fullback role will be tough. Liddle/McIlwrick at this point look solid rather than classy.

I could be wrong though. I think overall next years team will need some time to gel and it will need an injection of some real talent or a couple of players will really need to kick on. We've been waiting for Moses and Brooks especially to kick on for a couple of seasons and although the overall squad to me looks better I get the impression we are going to be waiting for players like Brooks, Liddle and Tui to turn into top level NRL players.

Tigerm

First Grade
I don't know. McQueen, Lawrence, ET, MCK & Marsters to me should be our edge backrowers. I think Aloiai & Sue don't work great on the edge.

I'm less worried about these guys to be honest. Lawrence runs it up hard and fast and runs good lines. ET is great defensively. I have no idea how McQueen will work out. MCK is really good at times but has a lot of mistakes in his game. If he gets rid of his mistakes he can be good. Marsters may also be able to do a job on the edge.

We do need a gun forward and ideally an edge player who is a gun but I think we may be okay on the edge. It won't be a strength but our middle forwards may be really good and in that scenario I think our edge forwards may be okay.

I think our real area of concern is a lack of class especially in the spine. Brooks can play well but he is inconsistent and not a great half. Reynolds has commitment and seems a good guy but Des went after Foran for a reason and that is Reynolds isn't really helping his team win games. Tui at this point isn't a gun player although he shows signs but a full time fullback role will be tough. Liddle/McIlwrick at this point look solid rather than classy.

I could be wrong though. I think overall next years team will need some time to gel and it will need an injection of some real talent or a couple of players will really need to kick on. We've been waiting for Moses and Brooks especially to kick on for a couple of seasons and although the overall squad to me looks better I get the impression we are going to be waiting for players like Brooks, Liddle and Tui to turn into top level NRL players.

Agree, I think our listed forwards for next year are very capable, but surely we are not expecting to win the comp next year?
I am hoping for a top8 spot for '18 then really get serious (top4) in '19.
Current players and new signing who survive next year will then have had a year to gel.
Someone said you have to spend most of your cap each year, so not real sure what is left, can't be that much left in the kitty is there?
Exciting times ahead.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I reckon a top 8 spot will be an overachievement. I'd be stoked with that.
As I keep emphasising I'm concerned about our spine.Our forwards & 3/4's are fine.We have plenty of quality & depth in these areas.

We glaringly lack a quality playmaker.Hence we won't make the 8 next yr.The necessity for a top draw game manager is invaluable.If we had a gun 7 with the requisite smarts we could b anything & even top 4 would b achievable.Its no surprise that the bottom 4 teams who have no hope of playing finals r bereft of a consistently effective playmaker.

In an ideal world Moses would've been a team player with humility where guiding the club to success & not money & ego was his motivator.I extremely dislike this shitbag but he is exactly what we are lacking in '18.It hurts to say it but its fact that he is streets ahead of Brooks between the ears.Of all the +ve changes the admirable IC has made the only one I disagree with is re-signing Brooks.Isaac the grub moses would've been doing cartwheels when we re-signed this gump coz no other club would've been stupid enough to offer him much more than 2nd tier money.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Agree, I think our listed forwards for next year are very capable, but surely we are not expecting to win the comp next year?
I am hoping for a top8 spot for '18 then really get serious (top4) in '19.
Current players and new signing who survive next year will then have had a year to gel.
Someone said you have to spend most of your cap each year, so not real sure what is left, can't be that much left in the kitty is there?
Exciting times ahead.
I get what you are saying Tigerm but I think there is still money to play with for next season.

The blokes Ive nominated wouldn't demand top dollar. For us to contend next season the players who occupy roster spots 18-30 could make all the difference. If we can pick up some talented players on the fringe from other clubs and get them into the system by Xmas we can start next season with a bang

Tiger05

First Grade
As I keep emphasising I'm concerned about our spine.Our forwards & 3/4's are fine.We have plenty of quality & depth in these areas.

We glaringly lack a quality playmaker.Hence we won't make the 8 next yr.The necessity for a top draw game manager is invaluable.If we had a gun 7 with the requisite smarts we could b anything & even top 4 would b achievable.Its no surprise that the bottom 4 teams who have no hope of playing finals r bereft of a consistently effective playmaker.

In an ideal world Moses would've been a team player with humility where guiding the club to success & not money & ego was his motivator.I extremely dislike this shitbag but he is exactly what we are lacking in '18.It hurts to say it but its fact that he is streets ahead of Brooks between the ears.Of all the +ve changes the admirable IC has made the only one I disagree with is re-signing Brooks.Isaac the grub moses would've been doing cartwheels when we re-signed this gump coz no other club would've been stupid enough to offer him much more than 2nd tier money.

Ted - I think you are overrating Moses and underrating Brooks. I wouldn't be confident if we had kept Moses and lost Brooks.

I do agree with what you are stating though. Brooks is inconsistent. Moses is doing great now in a quality team but he was inconsistent with us as well. His best games are more consistent and better than Brooks but if he was really good we would have won a lot more games this season when he was here.

I'm worried about our spine because we have no really high quality player there. They are all projects except for Reynolds who isn't really a high quality player. A good first grade player who in a good team can add to the team but he isn't a game manager or that player who is going to win you games consistently.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Guys the edge forward issue is staring you right in the face. Matulino is the answer. 2-3 years ago he was arguably the best forward in the comp playing this role. He's got a killer offload on him and runs great lines. Finds the line as well.

At the moment the warriors are playing him as an out and out prop, through necessity, but not so long ago he was the best edge forward in the world.

Did anyone watch the Warriors v Knights game today? I could not have been more impressed with him (off the bench as well). His work rate was insane. I tried to look up his stats but couldn't find them this quick.

Watching his game he's clearly under instruction to just charge forward (and my God he's good at it). But he has so much more to his game.

Clearly has worked with him before and I have full confidence he'll get the best out of him.

We are literally sitting on a gold mine with him as a wide running wrecking ball.. I'll be very disappointed if we just use him as a battering ram next year.

The below back row is absolutely perfectly balanced.

11. Lawrence
12. Matulino
13. Taylor

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Guys the edge forward issue is staring you right in the face. Matulino is the answer. 2-3 years ago he was arguably the best forward in the comp playing this role. He's got a killer offload on him and runs great lines. Finds the line as well.

At the moment the warriors are playing him as an out and out prop, through necessity, but not so long ago he was the best edge forward in the world.

Did anyone watch the Warriors v Knights game today? I could not have been more impressed with him (off the bench as well). His work rate was insane. I tried to look up his stats but couldn't find them this quick.

Watching his game he's clearly under instruction to just charge forward (and my God he's good at it). But he has so much more to his game.

Clearly has worked with him before and I have full confidence he'll get the best out of him.

We are literally sitting on a gold mine with him as a wide running wrecking ball.. I'll be very disappointed if we just use him as a battering ram next year.

The below back row is absolutely perfectly balanced.

11. Lawrence
12. Matulino
13. Taylor

I watched the game as well
Started off the bench but looked good
My only concern with him is he gives away a lot of play the ball/ruck penalties
Think today it's because he was on the bench and not happy about it

Tiger05

First Grade
Can Matulino really play on the edge. If so I reckon we have the answer right there. I always thought he was a prop though.

simmo05

Bench
Gallon was saying on that sport show yesterday morning that Wade Graham was holding off resigning due to the salary cap fiasco. His deal was due to finish soon. He is a gun, and i would throw shitloads at him. Surley we have plenty of coin left over?

Clifferd

Coach
Gallon was saying on that sport show yesterday morning that Wade Graham was holding off resigning due to the salary cap fiasco. His deal was due to finish soon. He is a gun, and i would throw shitloads at him. Surley we have plenty of coin left over?

Dunno if we could afford him. But I'd take him, he's quality.

Chuck 600-700k at him

simmo05

Bench
My bad, just looked it up and he only signed a 2 year deal with cronulla due to the salary cap.