What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels 9's squad

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
With Auckland 9's only 2 months away what players do people think we'll take over there?

I think we took about 15 over last time, here's my squad.

Fabian Goodall
Ben Crooks
Zach Dockar-Clay
Ryan Matterson
Kaysa Pritchard
Peni Terepo
Ken Edwards
Danny Wicks
Anthony Watmough
Halauafu Lavaka
Vai Toutai
Tepai Moeroa
Pauli Pauli
Semi Radradra
Corey Norman
Chris Sandow

Not sure how many we took this year but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this many.

Joely01

Bench
I'll be surprised if we play Watmough, Morgz will be part of the team.

I think players like John Folau and I think Hoppa will be given a bit of a run as well.

strider

Post Whore
wicks would be interesting .... old-school danny wicks had quite a turn of pace despite appearing like he had a pillow stuffed up his jumper ... i wonder if new trimmer, but older, danny still has the pace?

T.S Quint

Coach
Shame we never got to see Hayne in this form of the game.
Maybe we can bring him out of retirement for just this one weekend.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
wicks would be interesting .... old-school danny wicks had quite a turn of pace despite appearing like he had a pillow stuffed up his jumper ... i wonder if new trimmer, but older, danny still has the pace?

The photo of him deadlifting around 220kg at the Gym in Yamba shows that he still has the explosive power in his legs. He was able to do a back-flip in a standing position when he was at 120kg, he's trimmed down now to a healthy looking 108-112kg so I'm sure he still has that speed over 15-20 metres but with the weight lost his aerobic fitness levels should be much higher.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I'll be surprised if we play Watmough, Morgz will be part of the team.

I think players like John Folau and I think Hoppa will be given a bit of a run as well.

I was thinking of Choc because not only do we play Manly but his aggression plus his agility will be good for defence in the 9's. Morgan isn't built for the 9's, if it was out of Morgan, Folau, and Hoppa I'd be swaying more towards Hoppa.

half_back

Juniors
With Auckland 9's only 2 months away what players do people think we'll take over there?

I think we took about 15 over last time, here's my squad.

Fabian Goodall
Ben Crooks
Zach Dockar-Clay
Ryan Matterson
Kaysa Pritchard
Peni Terepo
Ken Edwards
Danny Wicks
Anthony Watmough
Halauafu Lavaka
Vai Toutai
Tepai Moeroa
Pauli Pauli
Semi Radradra
Corey Norman
Chris Sandow

Not sure how many we took this year but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this many.

Not sure that squad would satisfy the 12 being from the top 25. Questions over Goodall, Crooks, ZDC, Matterson, Pritchard, Lavaka sure some might know but I'd imagine at least 4 of those aren't top 25.

T.S Quint

Coach
I was thinking of Choc because not only do we play Manly but his aggression plus his agility will be good for defence in the 9's. Morgan isn't built for the 9's, if it was out of Morgan, Folau, and Hoppa I'd be swaying more towards Hoppa.

I remember Morgan playing quite well in the Nines this year.

Joely01

Bench

I'd let choc rest for the 9s.
Don't think I'd have wicks playing either.
Morgs will be playing, Hoppa should have a run

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I was thinking Manu could play in the Tigers trial for match fitness. Throwing him straight into the fast-paced 9's game might be a bit much since he has been out since June and still has a bit of taping around his left forearm.

Forty20

First Grade
The 2014 Auckland Nines had a squad size of 16. At least 12 of the 16 players were required to be part of the Top 25 while 1 of the 12 needed to be of the Top 5 contracted players (i.e a marquee player).

In August the Daily Telegraph stated that the squad sizes would be increased to 18 in 2015, however the official rule set is still not out. Whether the additional 2 spots will be required to be filled by Top 25 players will obviously change who we can take.

William Hopoate [Top 25][Marquee] - I think that any competitive setting is simply too important to miss in Hoppa's transition back to fullback.

Ryan Matterson [Top 25?] - While a maiden NRL jersey might still be a ways off, the Nines represent the perfect opportunity to expose him to a higher level of Rugby League. He was deemed important enough to make the trip to Seattle and with his blend of size, speed and skill he should do well.

Chris Sandow [Top 25][Marquee] - Suited to the format and a supposed confidence player - to which the Nines may prove the catalyst towards launching him into a strong start in the regulation season.

Beau Champion [Top 25]
Ben Crooks [Top 25?]
Isaac De Gois [Top 25]
Zach Dockar-Clay
Kenny Edwards [Top 25]
John Folau
David Gower [Top 25]
Fabian Goodall
Halauafu Lavaka
Manu Ma'u [Top 25]
Tepai Moeroa [Top 25]
Ryan Morgan [Top 25]
Corey Norman [Top 25][Marquee]
Pauli Pauli
Joseph Paulo [Top 25?]
Kaysa Pritchard
Semi Radradra [Top 25]
Reece Robinson [Top 25]
Brad Takairangi [Top 25]
Vai Toutai
Anthony Watmough [Top 25][Marquee]
Danny Wicks [Top 25?]

Josh Aloiai
Daniel Alvaro
Nathan Davis
Richie Fa'aoso [Top 25]
Bureta Faraimo [Top 25?]
Tui Kamikamica
Luke Kelly
Darcy Lussick [Top 25]
Tim Mannah [Top 25]
Shannan McPherson
Cody Nelson [Top 25?]
Eric Newbigging
Junior Paulo [Top 25]
Peni Terepo [Top 25]
Joseph Ualesi

Justin Hunt (rumoured to be on the outer) [Top 25]
Nathan Peats (injury) [Top 25][Marquee]

Forty20's Squad

1. Aloiai, Josh
2. Champion, Beau [Top 25]
3. Crooks, Ben [Top 25?]
4. Dockar-Clay, Zach
5. Edwards, Kenny [Top 25]
6. Goodall, Fabian
7. Hopoate, William [Top 25][Marquee]
8. Matterson, Ryan [Top 25?]
9. Ma'u, Manu [Top 25]
10. Moeroa, Tepai [Top 25]
11. Pauli, Pauli
12. Pritchard, Kaysa
13. Radradra, Semi [Top 25]
14. Robinson, Reece [Top 25]
15. Sandow, Chris [Top 25][Marquee]
16. Takairangi, Brad [Top 25]
17. Watmough, Anthony [Top 25][Marquee]
18. Wicks, Danny [Top 25?]

7 Forwards
6 Backs
2 Halves (Matterson, Sandow)
1 Hooker (Pritchard)
2 Utilities (Takairangi, Dockar-Clay)

13 Top 25 players (a bit unsure on this one)
3 Marquee Players
5 NRL Rookies (possibly too many to carry)

You could easily replace Champion, Crooks or Robinson with the likes of Folau, Lavaka or Morgan while Aloiai can be subbed for Fa'aoso, Gower, Terepo, Ualesi etc. Norman is a noticeable absentee that can be included while I do have my doubts other whether Watmough will play in the Nines.

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
That's definitely the better side Forty. I suppose I was thinking too much about the Tigers trial but they'll be using 12 of their Top 25 for the 9's as well so there's not much reason in sending some of our better players to NT.

Parra

Referee
Take over players who need to prove themselves. No-one who we need to start the season is worth the injury risk of this mickey mouse shit.

Wicks has good footwork and speed and I think would be suited to 9's

natheel

Coach
The 2014 Auckland Nines had a squad size of 16. At least 12 of the 16 players were required to be part of the Top 25 while 1 of the 12 needed to be of the Top 5 contracted players (i.e a marquee player).

In August the Daily Telegraph stated that the squad sizes would be increased to 18 in 2015, however the official rule set is still not out. Whether the additional 2 spots will be required to be filled by Top 25 players will obviously change who we can take.

William Hopoate [Top 25][Marquee] - I think that any competitive setting is simply too important to miss in Hoppa's transition back to fullback.

Ryan Matterson [Top 25?] - While a maiden NRL jersey might still be a ways off, the Nines represent the perfect opportunity to expose him to a higher level of Rugby League. He was deemed important enough to make the trip to Seattle and with his blend of size, speed and skill he should do well.

Chris Sandow [Top 25][Marquee] - Suited to the format and a supposed confidence player - to which the Nines may prove the catalyst towards launching him into a strong start in the regulation season.

Beau Champion [Top 25]
Ben Crooks [Top 25?]
Isaac De Gois [Top 25]
Zach Dockar-Clay
Kenny Edwards [Top 25]
John Folau
David Gower [Top 25]
Fabian Goodall
Halauafu Lavaka
Manu Ma'u [Top 25]
Tepai Moeroa [Top 25]
Ryan Morgan [Top 25]
Corey Norman [Top 25][Marquee]
Pauli Pauli
Joseph Paulo [Top 25?]
Kaysa Pritchard
Semi Radradra [Top 25]
Reece Robinson [Top 25]
Brad Takairangi [Top 25]
Vai Toutai
Anthony Watmough [Top 25][Marquee]
Danny Wicks [Top 25?]

Josh Aloiai
Daniel Alvaro
Nathan Davis
Richie Fa'aoso [Top 25]
Bureta Faraimo [Top 25?]
Tui Kamikamica
Luke Kelly
Darcy Lussick [Top 25]
Tim Mannah [Top 25]
Shannan McPherson
Cody Nelson [Top 25?]
Eric Newbigging
Junior Paulo [Top 25]
Peni Terepo [Top 25]
Joseph Ualesi

Justin Hunt (rumoured to be on the outer) [Top 25]
Nathan Peats (injury) [Top 25][Marquee]

Forty20's Squad

1. Aloiai, Josh
2. Champion, Beau [Top 25]
3. Crooks, Ben [Top 25?]
4. Dockar-Clay, Zach
5. Edwards, Kenny [Top 25]
6. Goodall, Fabian
7. Hopoate, William [Top 25][Marquee]
8. Matterson, Ryan [Top 25?]
9. Ma'u, Manu [Top 25]
10. Moeroa, Tepai [Top 25]
11. Pauli, Pauli
12. Pritchard, Kaysa
13. Radradra, Semi [Top 25]
14. Robinson, Reece [Top 25]
15. Sandow, Chris [Top 25][Marquee]
16. Takairangi, Brad [Top 25]
17. Watmough, Anthony [Top 25][Marquee]
18. Wicks, Danny [Top 25?]

7 Forwards
6 Backs
2 Halves (Matterson, Sandow)
1 Hooker (Pritchard)
2 Utilities (Takairangi, Dockar-Clay)

13 Top 25 players (a bit unsure on this one)
3 Marquee Players
5 NRL Rookies (possibly too many to carry)

You could easily replace Champion, Crooks or Robinson with the likes of Folau, Lavaka or Morgan while Aloiai can be subbed for Fa'aoso, Gower, Terepo, Ualesi etc. Norman is a noticeable absentee that can be included while I do have my doubts other whether Watmough will play in the Nines.

Good Squad with a good mix of rookies and experience. Hope ZDC gets a run possibly he may even be the hooker as he could be quicker around the ruck at that type of game than Pritchard and De Gois

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Good Squad with a good mix of rookies and experience. Hope ZDC gets a run possibly he may even be the hooker as he could be quicker around the ruck at that type of game than Pritchard and De Gois

Kaysa is pretty quick and tidy around the ruck. I'd say that Dockar-Clay provides a bit more creativity around the ruck than the other two, he'd probably be able to count numbers a little bit quicker and have a better long ball.

Latest posts