What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Attack Analysis

strider

Post Whore
Papali'i was 22 with over 60 NRL games under his belt ffs. There aren't many of those around. Don't pretend he was some nobody. He always had top 17 potential, which is why we signed him. By contrast, Stone is 24 and has played only 23 games. That's a genuine minimum salary backup. The Storm have a bunch of these types:

PlayerAge in 2021NRL Games
Booth266
Eisenhuth2931
Grant271
Jacks2948
Jennings2850
Johns225
King2450
Lewis2919
Lumelume233
Pene267
Smoothy224

Up and coming youngsters with high potential, like Isaiah Papali'i and Reimis Smith, cost a lot more than career backups like Ray Stone and Tom Eisenhuth. That's why the strong teams have these players in their squad, even though they have 'reached their ceiling'. Can you merkins get your head out of your arse and actually watch the game so we can have informed conversations about our club ffs
where's the schlong?

Gazzamatta

Coach
Potter was not an “assistant” and there could be a reason Potter struggles to hold onto his coaching gigs for more then a year or 2………..
Come on fess up. Whats the goss? He has a gig somewhere at the moment. I heard him mentioned recently. Not sure where though.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon pushing papa back to the bench this week for a freshen up might be tonic to spark some better quality on the edge. He is going through a tonne of work and going back to the bench for first 20 wouldn't be a bad thing. We have used junior off the bench at times so i wouldnt call it a demotion.

Bring him on after 20 mins and let him do his thing for the final 60 running over a tiring sam walker.

Its only has to be a one week thing otherwise we are just going to burn the petrol out quickly with 25 runs per game.

Chipmunk

Coach
Papali'i was 22 with over 60 NRL games under his belt ffs. There aren't many of those around. Don't pretend he was some nobody. He always had top 17 potential, which is why we signed him. By contrast, Stone is 24 and has played only 23 games. That's a genuine minimum salary backup. The Storm have a bunch of these types:

PlayerAge in 2021NRL Games
Booth266
Eisenhuth2931
Grant271
Jacks2948
Jennings2850
Johns225
King2450
Lewis2919
Lumelume233
Pene267
Smoothy224

Up and coming youngsters with high potential, like Isaiah Papali'i and Reimis Smith, cost a lot more than career backups like Ray Stone and Tom Eisenhuth. That's why the strong teams have these players in their squad, even though they have 'reached their ceiling'. Can you merkins get your head out of your arse and actually watch the game so we can have informed conversations about our club ffs
Who the hell is this King with 50 games?

lucablight

First Grade
Everyone here would like us to score more points. The question is whether coaching will make that happen. Personally I think it will only be improved by experience and/or recruitment.
I don’t see how experience is going to help if we keep practising the same old ineffectual plays over and over. I think the coaching staff needs to shake things up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t see how experience is going to help if we keep practising the same old ineffectual plays over and over. I think the coaching staff needs to shake things up.
Every tackle of every set requires players making decisions. This is what eyes-up-footy means. The coach isn't sitting up in the box controlling players like he's playing Xbox. As players get more practice making decisions they should get better at it, and this should happen more quickly for less experienced players. Look at how Moses has improved in his decision making, or Mahoney's big jump in form this year. It comes from experience. The same will happen with Drown.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm puzzled as to our use of Nathan Brown - surely, he would be better off taking his kamikaze-style run after Papali'i, Blake, RCG, or Paulo have skittled the defence?

He often takes hit-ups 2, and 4, in a set - I don't get it.

He has speed, acceleration, and footwork - let him run at a broken line more.

When Browny runs at a set defensive line, he gets belted.

He's still one of my favourite players, though - he's all heart.

TheRam

Coach
Exactly what most, not all, are thinking.
As much as The Great Gus annoys me, when discussing our Eels he is pretty much spot on and I hate him even more for that.
Thats two legends of the game plus 99% of supporters versus BA and his ever willing sympathisers. He will have to come up with something special this next 6 weeks plus hopefully the semis to take pressure off himself. Its pretty much make or break for BA I reckon. Ill be hoping for "make" and cheering regardless and hope for a huge surprise. Time to aim up BA. Hopefully that dosent mean just run harder.

The problem now though is that if he tries to change tactics mid season and focus on attack, watch how our defense will start to suffer. He tried to do something similar before and the players couldn't focus on one without losing concentration on the other.

Like I said in an earlier post somewhere, he needed to do this with a whole off season training to get it right. Now it is just going to be messy. I mean these players can't even count numbers well ffs. The amount of times they go the wrong way is just mind boggling.

TheRam

Coach
They have been told, as they continually repeat, that they have to stick to the game plan and "get them at the end". Ive heard this any number of times post match from both Gutho and Mitch. Have you ever heard them say we need to play whats in front of us if its not working? I havent. They play to a system that works often but not always.

And lets see, when or where does it fail most often?

Oh that's right, when it counts.

TheRam

Coach
Everyone here would like us to score more points. The question is whether coaching will make that happen. Personally I think it will only be improved by experience and/or recruitment.

It's not necessarily more points mate. We need to be able to play differently then just a power game and kick. That will give us plenty of points in the season proper as we have all seen the last two seasons. The problem though is when we can't dominate the collision, then what?

What's option B ?

We don't have one. The better teams do. And when we get desperate at times during those sorts of games where the game plan isn't working and try to manufacture a plan B on the run, it rarely ever works out and we look clunky and prone to mistakes and then the coach says in the press conference that we went away from what works and didn't follow his genius game plan.

What the limited coach didn't/doesn't get is that plan A was a crock when an opposition team can match your collision.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Obviously the stronger teams have more attacking options. That's why they're stronger. To be fair, this year we've added Mahoney's playmaking around the middle. That wasn't an option in previous years. It would be nice if the right edge was a legitimate attacking option but that's a matter of Drown continuing to develop his game.