What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels backline the hottest in NRL: Finch

Ice777

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
Mate, I'm just glad someone is saying it.

Don't you get sick of all these sanitised let's-not-stir-the-opposition-up kinds of blokes who won't put their balls on the line.

Pro sports needs more people talking themselves up, because otherwise it just gets boring.

I agree that it's good to hear blokes putting their balls on the line and making statements like that but i just don't like it when it's my own team :lol:

I think we've got enough on our plate going into the finals without our players putting any more pressure on themselves saying things like that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
lockyno1 said:
Eels backline is underrated. At fullstrength however the Dragons backline would come close!

1. Hornby
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Chase
7.Soward

damn good backline!

It is very good. Gasnier is in the Justin Hodges/Timana Tahu class and Cooper is the best defensive centre in the game - he's as good as Jamie Lyon, easy.

Jamie Soward... why'd the Roosters let him go? He's been awesome since he went to St George. Absolute freak of a player.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Orginally Posted by mattyg
this is getting old and tired eels fans...EELS BACKS ARE NOT THE BEST IN THE COMP AFTER ONE GOOD GAME!!! saying that just proves my point that you have no idea about Rugby League. The storm backs have been pulling off games like the Eels did last friday for 2 years straight. And its not all consistency...you have to have some talented players to only lose 8 games in 2 years...

do you not remember Billy Slaters try in origin a few years back??

or Inglis last year playing anywhere and everywhere in the backline and scoring a heap of brilliant individual tries.

Don't get me started on the rest.

Storm by far have the best backline in the comp...parra's might have more potential, but atm Storm are the most talented and the best. Storm players have pulled off the talent in big games, Eels players are yet to do so (except for Hayne - and even then he had a major stuff up). If parra beat storm in the finals series then come back and talk it up. Till then just shut up because you're going to make yourself look stupid when 2005 happens all over again (feel free to bring this post up again IFFF parra win the comp).

Eels backs have had more than one good game all year, unless you're saying a team can be third on the ladder and their backs don't really perform, which makes it even more scary.
So exactly what happened in the biggest game of the season, storm lost...
We're saying we have the best backs not the best team, we're not even saying we'll win the comp so how is it 2005 all over again, as i've already said i don't expect the eels to win the premiership...

but

lockyno1

Post Whore
Soward was always a freak but he wasn't given enough chances. Too often uder Stuart he was playing one week, in PL the next. Hardly makes the player confident! Brown, for all his faults has been brilliant with Soward- he gave him the 7 jersey and told him he'll be there for the rest of the year!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
sooperdooper said:
matai strong in defence? hmmm yeh ok... he misses more than he makes

That's a stupid comment.

Even Brett Kimmorley makes more tackles than he misses. Anyone who missed more than they make wouldn't be in first grade. Especially a centre.

Matai might mioss some but don't make the mistake of thinking tackle percentage is the be-all and end-all of defence. Matai hurts people (especially when he hits them in the face) and he can tackle big men one-on-one which is invaluable when defending your line.

mattyg

Bench
you're players aren't saying it...never have and probably never will...but when the media start talking it up sometimes the players believe their own headlines. That i believe was the case with us last year, won't surprise me one little bit if its the same with Parra this year. I'm just glad the pressure is on Parra not us atm.

You've had more than one good game, but only one STANDOUT game...and even then, you's were 28-22 with a vid ref decision pending to us late in the game. It wasn't as dominant as everyone is making it out to be...don't get me wrong, it was a great performance, but hardly invincible.

and geez you need to get a new hobby just specifically highlighting certain parts of my post. You're making yourself look stupid.

And by storm players pulling off talent in big games..i mean rep games. Origin, Tests etc we've seen the likes of King, Slater, Inglis completely dominate. Inglis won Australia the game last year...Melbournes backs are just as talented as Parramatta - Parra have more potential

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by mattyg
incredible that you rate Grothe higher than King...now tell me which one of them played 3 origin games this year, and which one got shoved aside for a place only for that spot to go to Hazem El Masri??

Folau is great, however i think he has been starved of quality ball due to the class throughout the Melbourne team. Whenever he does get the ball though, he has a great ability to find the tryline.

El Masri got the spot because he can kick goals, so in all rights Burt should have made the team...

CharlieF

Juniors
goboggo said:
Is it?

You've never seen Tahu make a bust after an average hitup followed by two wide passes from Smith and Finch?

You've never seen Jarryd Hayne bust the line himself through a combo of agility, speed and strength?

Inu's chip and chases on the weekend were on the back of simple passes when the Bulldogs still had their defence set. The reason he put those kicks in is because he actually ran out of room. He created those plays himself.

Grothe - any number of tries where he's outmuscled players, or just beaten them by using sheer size, speed and strength.

I never said that we could win games without forward momentum, just that we probably possess more outside backs that can do the odd occasional brilliant thing that doesn't require forward momentum.

Don't get me wrong, their attacking displays are second to none when they are on song and I know they can win you a game, but can they stop you from losing a game??

CharlieF

Juniors
Poupou Escobar said:
It is very good. Gasnier is in the Justin Hodges/Timana Tahu class and Cooper is the best defensive centre in the game - he's as good as Jamie Lyon, easy.

Jamie Soward... why'd the Roosters let him go? He's been awesome since he went to St George. Absolute freak of a player.

Anderson left too late.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Orginally Posted by mattyg
you're players aren't saying it...never have and probably never will...but when the media start talking it up sometimes the players believe their own headlines. That i believe was the case with us last year, won't surprise me one little bit if its the same with Parra this year. I'm just glad the pressure is on Parra not us atm.

You've had more than one good game, but only one STANDOUT game...and even then, you's were 28-22 with a vid ref decision pending to us late in the game. It wasn't as dominant as everyone is making it out to be...don't get me wrong, it was a great performance, but hardly invincible.

and geez you need to get a new hobby just specifically highlighting certain parts of my post. You're making yourself look stupid.

And by storm players pulling off talent in big games..i mean rep games. Origin, Tests etc we've seen the likes of King, Slater, Inglis completely dominate. Inglis won Australia the game last year...Melbournes backs are just as talented as Parramatta - Parra have more potential

If you think that was our standout game then you better wake up, the eels best game of the year was against the tigers...now that game was impressive, the game against the dogs we got infront and just cruised for the rest of the game scoring after everytime the dogs scored.

Don't worry i'm getting a new hobby...;-)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
mattyg said:
this is getting old and tired eels fans...EELS BACKS ARE NOT THE BEST IN THE COMP AFTER ONE GOOD GAME!!!

Our backs have had loads of good games. That's why the media are raving about them.

saying that just proves my point that you have no idea about Rugby League. The storm backs have been pulling off games like the Eels did last friday

Last Friday?!?!?!

Mate, our 1-5 have had way better games than we did against the Dogs.

for 2 years straight. And its not all consistency...you have to have some talented players to only lose 8 games in 2 years...

Nobody's saying Melbourne don't have talented backs. We're saying ours are better.

do you not remember Billy Slaters try in origin a few years back??

Similar to Hayne's this year.

Difference is Hayne is currently a Blues regular while Slater only plays for Queensland when there's injuries.

or Inglis last year playing anywhere and everywhere in the backline and scoring a heap of brilliant individual tries.

Inglis, Gasnier, Tahu and Hodges are the 4 best centres in the world. And Inglis is a better winger, fullback and five-eighth than any of the other three.

Nobody denies the ability of Greg Inglis mate.

Don't get me started on the rest.

Why's that? Because Slater and Inglis are the only superfreaks in the Melbourne backline?

Sure they're both brilliant ball-runners but as we keep trying to tell you, while Melbourne have 2 of these, Parra have 4.

Storm by far have the best backline in the comp...parra's might have more potential, but atm Storm are the most talented and the best. Storm players have pulled off the talent in big games, Eels players are yet to do so (except for Hayne - and even then he had a major stuff up). If parra beat storm in the finals series then come back and talk it up. Till then just shut up because you're going to make yourself look stupid when 2005 happens all over again (feel free to bring this post up again IFFF parra win the comp).

Mate, that's easy to say because there are better teams overall that will most likely win the comp ahead of us.

Us not winning the comp isn't going to prove you right.

The proof is simple - rep appearances.

Tahu, Hayne and Grothe have all been Origin regulars, and Inu will play for New Zealand until he retires (or goes off on his mission). The only Melbourne outside backs who are or have been Origin regulars are Inglis and Slater.

Phillips

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Eels backline is underrated. At fullstrength however the Dragons backline would come close!

1. Hornby
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Chase
7.Soward

damn good backline!

you are either incredibly stupid or a comedic genius

lockyno1

Post Whore
Phillips said:
you are either incredibly stupid or a comedic genius

No I am not

Hornby- test/SOO player
Morris- city country rep
Gasnier- aus/SOO
Cooper- aus/SOO

That is 4 rep players, plus Chase, Soward and Nightigale who are 3 of the best youngsters around! That backline is also guided by potentially a better set of halves as well! And I aint a Dragon's fan!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
mattyg said:
incredible that you rate Grothe higher than King...now tell me which one of them played 3 origin games this year, and which one got shoved aside for a place only for that spot to go to Hazem El Masri??

Are you being ignorant on purpose?

King made it because he's safer option than Grothe, and notice King gave NSW absolutely nothing in attack this year.

Likewise Hazem El Masri. He's a good little player, smart, solid and safe, but surely you don't think he was in the team for anything other than his goalkicking?

Grothe is younger than El Masri yet has played more Origin games and scored more Origin tries.

And I'll give you Hazem is more consistent than Grothe - El Masri's one of the most reliable players in the comp.

But that doesn't make him more dangerous or talented than Eric Grothe Jr.

Folau is great, however i think he has been starved of quality ball due to the class throughout the Melbourne team. Whenever he does get the ball though, he has a great ability to find the tryline.

He's a good player, but not a patch on Timana Tahu.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Poupou Escobar said:
Tahu, Hayne and Grothe have all been Origin regulars, and Inu will play for New Zealand until he retires (or goes off on his mission). The only Melbourne outside backs who are or have been Origin regulars are Inglis and Slater.

That is tough- Cronk would have easily played rep had he not had Thurston/Lockyer ahead of him! Folau will play rep next season, and so will Chambers to be honest. King you forgot on your list! And how is Grothe or Slater a Origin regular? I would love to know!

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Poupou Escobar said:

Difference is Hayne is currently a Blues regular while Slater only plays for Queensland when there's injuries.

Come on mate, thats a stupid thing to say. NSW outside backs have nothing on QLD's. If Slater was from NSW, im sure he would be a regular.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
WTF? said:
El Masri got the spot because he can kick goals, so in all rights Burt should have made the team...

El Masri's a safer player than Burt and a better winger.

Not only that, but while Burt has been a better goalkicker this year, Hazem's been doing it since about 1953. He's proven his goalkicking's not a fluke.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cowboys..are you kidding me...need I say one name MINTO..if that guy is in your side..dear oh me!

Latest posts