What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels backline the hottest in NRL: Finch

Gronk

Staff member
Eels backline the hottest in NRL: Finch

August 8, 2007 - 3:30PM

Parramatta five-eighth Brett Finch has labelled the Eels backline the most talented and entertaining in the NRL ahead of Saturday night's home clash against Cronulla.
The third-placed Eels have produced some of the most scintillating football of the year in their pursuit of a first premiership in 21 years.
The side has suffered from inconsistency at times, but when on song Jarryd Hayne, Timana Tahu, Krisnan Inu, Eric Grothe and Ben Smith have proved near unstoppable.
"I would say talent wise and for entertainment value it is probably the best in the competition," Finch said.
"But again you have a Melbourne team who can be entertaining but also grind out a tough win as well.
"We know on our day we have a pretty impressive backline."
The frightening prospect for their opponents is they still have to find room for fullback Luke Burt, who is expected to return from injury later this month.
Parramatta's 34-22 win over the Bulldogs last weekend provided further evidence they were a genuine premiership threat and Finch believed the return of captain Nathan Cayless made them a much better side.
The Kiwi front-rower has spent the last two weeks on leave following the death of his mother.
"He has probably been our best player this year. I think without him we can win games but he is probably our key to going all the way," Finch said.
"He is our best player, he is our leader and with Nathan Hindmarsh he does so much work in the middle of the ruck that goes unnoticed, so he is a massive return for us.
"I think if he played against Manly we would have won that game.
"I think where we have been criticised for going through some flat periods Nathan has been the one who keeps the intensity up in that middle third.
"I think he has enjoyed being back with the boys as have we enjoyed having him back."
Finch, who played in two losing grand finals with the Roosters in 2003 and 2004, felt the Eels had a great opportunity to reach their first premiership decider since 2001.
"We have a month to go until the real stuff heats up," he said.
"I have played a few grand finals and lost and I certainly realise the importance that you don't get too many cracks at it and we have put ourselves in a good position to give it a good crack and they don't come every year, you have to make the most of them."
Following the Sharks, the Eels have the chance to measure themselves against the competition's benchmark with a trip to Melbourne to play the pace-setting Storm before rounding out the season against St George Illawarra (WIN Stadium) and Brisbane (Parramatta Stadium).
© 2007 AAP

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/eels-backline-the-hottest-in-nrl-finch/20074408-s6h.html
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/action/displayCopyright?source=AAP

Utey

Coach
It's also one of the better looking backlines. Finchy is just the icing.

parra pete

Referee
Self praise is no recommendation..
Beware the words that come back to bite you*

*Old jungle saying.

The Colonel

Immortal
"I would say talent wise and for entertainment value it is probably the best in the competition," Finch said.
"But again you have a Melbourne team who can be entertaining but also grind out a tough win as well.
"We know on our day we have a pretty impressive backline."

Talent wise and entertainment value, it probably is the best in the comp. No issue with that..... he pays enough homage to the Storm and also mentions on our day as well. Some people need to skip the headline and read the story....

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Colonel, i think you should put ur last comment on the nrl forum regarding the same topic, just to clear some silly people over there who think brett finch has said parra are the greatest ever rugby league team and will win this competition without lifting a finger

Eelectrica said:
With the ball we've got a pretty talented backline.
Defensively though, not so much.

I agree with Defensively

- too many holes and Grothe more often than not taking the wrong option when left in no mans land by the centres pushing in.

With the ball -

Great explosive power with individual brilliance (Tahu, Ben Smith Grothe & Inu) as well as freakish spontaneous play in improvised cut out passes (Tim Smith and Finch) that pay off for Inu

In set plays, we do not move the ball through the line with the precision of teams like the Storm and the Tigers, however.

Who goes where when Burt comes back?

You could almost consider Grothe at lock, to make way for him.

Latest posts