What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels confident 'Dad's Army' will fire

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8215578

Eels confident 'Dad's Army' will fire

Steve Jancetic
19:42 AEST Wed Feb 23 2011

They may not have the glitz of a Timana Tahu or a Krisnan Inu, but Parramatta backrower Ben Smith claims NRL opponents can write off the Eels' `Dad's Army' backline at their own peril.

The off-season acquisition of veteran three-quarters Chris Walker, Paul Whatuira and Chris Hicks to fill a barren backline was met with some derision by critics, who claimed the trio had passed their used by date following Super League stints.

Walker and Hicks are both 30-plus, while Whatuira turns 30 mid-year, with the trio essentially coming in for the departed Tahu (released), Inu (Warriors) and Eric Grothe (retired).

The lack of star power out wide threw up the possibility that Smith would go back to his younger days and return to the centres, but he confirmed he would remain in the backrow with Eels coach Stephen Kearney more than happy with his options out wide.

"There's a lot of experience there out in the backs and I think we're going to be very underrated there," Smith said.

"A lot of people have said they're too old and that sort of stuff but I think experience makes up for a lot of that.

"(The critics) have said these guys are on their last legs, but the way they're been training this off-season, they've got a point to prove and I think they're getting excited about getting out there and playing."

The veteran trio will compete with the likes of youngster Ryan Morgan, who started against Wests Tigers in last week's trial, in the battle to fill the two vacant three-quarter berths alongside established pair Joel Reddy and Luke Burt.

Smith said the knowledge and winning culture the likes of Whatuira - who won two grand finals with Penrith and Wests Tigers - bring to the club will prove invaluable.

"They're guys that have played State of Origin football, won grand finals," Smith said of Whatuira and Walker, with the latter having played six Origin matches for Queensland in 2001-02.

"They know how to win games and score tries and finish games and that's probably something we were lacking, a bit of confidence and a bit of maturity out there."

Daneel

Bench
Some people, probably fairly so use to complain about Eric Grothe's defence. It never concerned me and thought any deficencies in that area were well covered for by his stronger attributes.
Chris Walkers defensive ability worries the sh*t out of me, and i'm not sure what his stronger attributes are suppose to be (especially if he has lost a couple of yards of pace) to cover for this.

Parra

Referee
Hard training works well to inject youthful speed into legs when you are past 30.

FFS.

Eels Dude

Coach
Hard training works well to inject youthful speed into legs when you are past 30.

FFS.

Walker's had several serious injuries over the past few years. A serious knee injury as well as two achilles tendon tears. The seriousness of those injuries mean he'll never be as fast as he used to be, no amount of training will change that.

MrT

Juniors
why is there so much focus on Walker?
He is a second tier signing that may or may not get a start.
What has me buzzing is this

8. Poore
9. McGuire
10. Fui
11. Hindy
12. Smith
13. Horo

14. Mitchell
15.Mannah
16. Shack
17 Webb

That is one hell of a forward pack and McGuire has showed he will direct them around the park. Those 30 year olds will look like 20 year olds with that pack.
That doesn't include

Mutuia
Lasalo
Allgood

Forward depth will not be an issue. We have 4 props that have played origin. If halves can play well anything can happen

natheel

Coach
we are well served in the forwards, shaping up very nicely. our backs will be tested though but i think we will be underestimated

MrT

Juniors
forwards will lead the way. They will require stopping.
I know it was just a trial against Tigers but believe me neither team wanted to lose, so what does that tell you?

We will know more after Panthers trial

Parra

Referee
We will only know more when the comp starts.

Then the excuses.

Early market leader for the Eels - "We were affected by injury"

Hence the deserved 'dads army' tag.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
why is there so much focus on Walker?
He is a second tier signing that may or may not get a start.
What has me buzzing is this

8. Poore
9. McGuire
10. Fui
11. Hindy
12. Smith
13. Horo

14. Mitchell
15.Mannah
16. Shack
17 Webb

That is one hell of a forward pack and McGuire has showed he will direct them around the park. Those 30 year olds will look like 20 year olds with that pack.
That doesn't include

Mutuia
Lasalo
Allgood

Forward depth will not be an issue. We have 4 props that have played origin. If halves can play well anything can happen

good post, yep I forward pac will give us a good base for a very competitive season. The halves only really need to show a good kicking game in our half. When attacking the opositions line we just need some more strucutre in our attack which is what appears to be happening. Then we have Hayne who is a freak.

barney gumble

Juniors
they're not old, they are just more experienced than some

Yeah that's kinda true. I believe the Titans have the oldest average age from their roster and they go ok.
Not a lot of high expectations this year (as opposed to recent years) means the pressure's off a little. It least there will be valid excuses if the team doesn't perform so well. I have a hopeful level of optimisim (is that statement a contradiction?)

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah that's kinda true. I believe the Titans have the oldest average age from their roster and they go ok.
Not a lot of high expectations this year (as opposed to recent years) means the pressure's off a little. It least there will be valid excuses if the team doesn't perform so well. I have a hopeful level of optimisim (is that statement a contradiction?)

There should never be excuses made for why when we don't go well. There may be REASONS why we won't go well. But at the end of the day the club shouldn't be sitting back after a poor season saying "well we did have a realllly old squad". We have an old squad because the club chose to recruit in that direction, so you can't use that as an excuse if we fail.

TheParraboy

Staff member

luke bailey, scott prince, matt rogers, preston campbell, Laffranchi

Vs

Webb, Hicks, Walker, Whatuira, McQuire,

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There should never be excuses made for why when we don't go well. There may be REASONS why we won't go well. But at the end of the day the club shouldn't be sitting back after a poor season saying "well we did have a realllly old squad". We have an old squad because the club chose to recruit in that direction, so you can't use that as an excuse if we fail.

It's pretty obviously a rebuilding year.

The club's had a broom put through it, which is just what we needed. You normally have to suffer a year or two of mediocrity when that happens. Think '03-'04.

2005-2007 were strong years for the club and if it weren't for the Storm we'd almost certainly have a premiership. 2008-2010 was a bizarre time when the club's lack of direction really came through. The fact we jagged a grand final appearance in between two years of missing the finals sums up our deranged club perfectly.

It's just a shame '08-'10 were sh*t years without being rebuilding years. I don't think we'll be genuine contenders again until next year at the earliest, and probably the year after.

But thanks to the salary cap, and the evenness of the comp, every club's a chance of making the finals every year. If you can play with some consistency and win a few close ones you can sneak into the 8. Once there it's a lottery as we showed in 2009, and the Chooks showed last year.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's pretty obviously a rebuilding year.

The club's had a broom put through it, which is just what we needed. You normally have to suffer a year or two of mediocrity when that happens. Think '03-'04.

2005-2007 were strong years for the club and if it weren't for the Storm we'd almost certainly have a premiership. 2008-2010 was a bizarre time when the club's lack of direction really came through. The fact we jagged a grand final appearance in between two years of missing the finals sums up our deranged club perfectly.

It's just a shame '08-'10 were sh*t years without being rebuilding years. I don't think we'll be genuine contenders again until next year at the earliest, and probably the year after.

But thanks to the salary cap, and the evenness of the comp, every club's a chance of making the finals every year. If you can play with some consistency and win a few close ones you can sneak into the 8. Once there it's a lottery as we showed in 2009, and the Chooks showed last year.

Yeah I think I posted this in another thread during the past week. But our club seem to constantly need to rebuild every second year. And you can't build a premiership winning side on that.

We are rebuilding this year, but we will do so again next year because a lot of our top squad have been signed as stop gap solutions who will retire at the end of the year. Add to that we will (hopefully) sign a decent half to steer the team around for next season which will mean 2011 will also be a rebuilding year.

In 2012 no doubt Hindmarsh, Burt, Moimoi will all retire or head overseas meaning the new core leadershipgroup comes through. Not to mention other senior players may or may not choose to stay with the club or pursue avenues elsewhere. So in that way 2013 will also be a rebuilding year.

Latest posts