What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels friendships on hold for Mateo

Jodeci

Bench
Eels friendships on hold for Mateo

Ian McCullough AAP Sun, Mar 11, 2012 - 3:31 PM
A piece of his heart will always be with Parramatta, but Warriors backrower Feleti Mateo will be doing his best on Monday to inflict more misery on his beloved Eels.

The 27-year-old backrower, who grew up in Sydney's western suburbs, played 88 times for the Eels in a six-year career, before moving across the Tasman last year, and counts a number of the squad including Jarryd Hayne among his closest friends.
However, those feelings will put be on hold for 80 minutes at Parramatta Stadium as last year's beaten grand finalists aim for their first win of the new campaign.
Mateo maintains the Warriors will be in for a tough test against Stephen Kearney's side, but says all sentiment will be put to one side.
"I feel attached to the place," Mateo said.
"There's still a lot of people there that I've made some great relationships with and hopefully I'll get a chance to see them when I go back there.
"But this (Auckland) is my home now. I feel so happy here, and I'm just going back there to do a job and hopefully we can get the win."
The Warriors lost their season opener 26-20 to Manly last Sunday following a woeful first half display, but inspired by brilliant young halfback Shaun Johnson, they fought back from 16-0 down before Manly made sure of the points with a late Glenn Stewart try.
Skipper Simon Mannering has warned his players they cannot afford another slow start with the Eels tipped to make Hayne and Queensland centre Willie Tonga late inclusions following injury lay-offs.
"Parramatta's always a tough place to play and we don't get many chances to play on a Monday night so it'll be a bit different for the team," Mannering said.
"They'll be just as keen for the two points, they had a tough season last year and missed out in round one, and have got a few new players and a couple of pretty good attacking halves.
"We've got to be fundamentally a bit better than we were against Manly."

http://www.nrl.com/eels-friendships-on-hold-for-mateo/tabid/10874/newsid/66244/default.aspx

Just have a feeling that he will never play for us again.

You are right with your feeling

Why would he want to? He never got his contract renewed, management over those ways didn't see him in their plans to take out a title and you think he would forget that? I know he's a parra junior but f*ck know what going on over there but Mateo should had been kept, thankfully he has wound up with a club that will instill his confidence and take his chances to get him a premiership he deserves (Fingers crossed it's with the Warriors)

Looking forward to Mateo playing his best footy tonight

Why would he want to? He never got his contract renewed, management over those ways didn't see him in their plans to take out a title and you think he would forget that? I know he's a parra junior but f*ck know what going on over there but Mateo should had been kept, thankfully he has wound up with a club that will instill his confidence and take his chances to get him a premiership he deserves (Fingers crossed it's with the Warriors)

whats this not in their plans crap? the warriors made a massive offer we couldnt match

Eelementary

Post Whore

We were willing to keep him, but not at the ridiculous price you paid for him.

cv8z

Juniors
Do you think guys like Shack, Poore and Ben Smith are earning below $250k???

You will be pleasently surprise why we are known as the club who pay overs.

How do you expect us to pay 400k plus then if what you say is true?
Surely keeping Mateo wasn't financially possible?