What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Eelementary

Post Whore
Is it astute though if signing him now, costs us the signature of a more premium player?

I think so.

I hardly think Prior would command huge coin...

If we are good at what we do, there is no reason why we cannot sign Prior, and get a bigger name forward.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Read on to my later posts

I was replying to the post you quoted me on, though...

I'm not a big fan of Prior's, but I see the sense in signing him.

If we got RCG/David Fifira, and Matt Prior, I'd say we recruited fairly well up front.

84 Baby

Referee
I was replying to the post you quoted me on, though...

I'm not a big fan of Prior's, but I see the sense in signing him.

If we got RCG/David Fifira, and Matt Prior, I'd say we recruited fairly well up front.
Yeah but I wasn’t going to repost my same response.
There is sense in signing him, but signing him ahead of better players risks missing out on those better players

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah but I wasn’t going to repost my same response.
There is sense in signing him, but signing him ahead of better players risks missing out on those better players

I'm not sure where the implication that we would be signing him ahead of other players arose from, though...

Happy MEel

First Grade
I'm not sure where the implication that we would be signing him ahead of other players arose from, though...
I think the implication is that there’s opportunity cost for every signing. However, there are far more average nrl middles than there are $600+ middles.

For every dollar we allocate to a player like Prior, that’s a dollar less in the kitty to offer an RCG or Fifita for example. Ideally we’d prefer to lock in in our quality roster spots and then use whatever is left to fill the other spots.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
We have 10 spots available and we’re reportedly chasing higher profile targets. There’s obviously lots of moving parts but I’d prefer to have the top parts of the squad set before the lower parts

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We might have so much free cap space we're desperate to use that it doesn't really matter at this stage. Including Alvaro we only have 18 merkins with NRL experience contracted for next year. There's surely enough wiggle room that signing one player won't impact us signing another, unless those players are Tedesco and Taumalolo.

strider

Post Whore
We might have so much free cap space we're desperate to use that it doesn't really matter at this stage. Including Alvaro we only have 18 merkins with NRL experience contracted for next year. There's surely enough wiggle room that signing one player won't impact us signing another, unless those players are Tedesco and Taumalolo.
OMG, we're signing Tedesco and Taumalolo :open_mouth: .... what amazing news

84 Baby

Referee
In that case I hope they are only 1 year deals

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
For a player that age a one year deal is a big risk because it might be the last money he ever makes from footy. Spreading the contract over two years is no different to back-ending. Having a $200k reserve grader (at worst case) in that second year is very low impact.

84 Baby

Referee
For a player that age a one year deal is a big risk because it might be the last money he ever makes from footy. Spreading the contract over two years is no different to back-ending. Having a $200k reserve grader (at worst case) in that second year is very low impact.
It’d have more impact if it reduced your chances of signing a $700k genuine first grade starter

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Obviously you don’t want expensive players playing NSW cup, but in my opinion, especially with being a development club, having a couple of quality players on more then the minimum in NSW cup isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

It gives some experience/guidance to the younger players. Additionally you should be able to off set these players by having a bunch of junior players on unders in your squad.

Obviously it’s a fine balancing act and the cap needs to be managed so it doesn’t cause you to lose someone you want to keep.

Adding to that Will be interesting to see what the rules are for contracts in having our NSW cup side next year. If the minimum NRL contract is $110k or so, is there a limit on how many players we can have on $100k in our NSW cup squad (obviously they be restricted in play NRL).

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
So on Prior, if he is just a straight swap with Mannah, surely we are winning. Mannah is probably on say 500 under the cap (overs maybe, but that's not my point). Mannah is now useless to our 1st grade team, for reasons best known to those involved. Prior comes for 300-350 and is easily within our top 6 middles. What's the problem?
At worst, he contributes to the development of Stef, Oregan and the other 2 massive units in Flegg.

Last edited: