What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

yy_cheng

Coach
‘Gutho is open to anything’: Skipper backs recruitment plan, says Arthur

We’re sorry, this feature is currently unavailable. We’re working to restore it. Please try again later.
DISMISS
Skip to sections navigationSkip to contentSkip to footer
OPEN NAVIGATIONMENU

The Sydney Morning Herald

‘Gutho is open to anything’: Skipper backs recruitment plan, says Arthur​

ByMichael Chammas and Adrian Proszenko

Updated March 28, 2023 — 5.22pmfirst published at 10.30am
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has praised Clint Gutherson’s selflessness after the Parramatta captain gave his blessing for the club to chase a potential fullback option to provide the Eels with a “game-breaker”.
While Arthur conceded it would be difficult to find an alternative option better than Gutherson, the Eels coach confirmed the Herald’s report on Sunday revealing the club has had a conversation with the fullback about a potential positional switch if they signed the right player.
“Gutho is open to anything that will make the team better but it will be very hard to get a fullback that’s better than him,” Arthur said.
“He’s often joked, ‘Get me Teddy [James Tedesco] and I’ll play in the centres’. His attitude is around doing what’s best for the team because he just wants to win. He’ll do whatever required to win games of football. He’ll put his body on the line.

“He played the back end of last year with a broken hand where other blokes wouldn’t. Whatever it takes to win he’ll do, and whatever is best for the team he’ll do. While ever I’m coach at this club he’ll be our captain and that’s all there is to it.”
Several players who become free agents on November 1 could provide the Eels with an X-factor option.
Joseph Manu, Dylan Edwards, Jayden Campbell, Nicho Hynes, Will Kennedy, Adam Doueihi and Daine Laurie all fit into that category - although some are expected to pass up the opportunity to test the market and recommit to their clubs before November 1.
Clint Gutherson has no qualms with Parramatta hitting the market for a fullback.

Clint Gutherson has no qualms with Parramatta hitting the market for a fullback.CREDIT:GETTY
Jack Wighton, who has a round 10 option in his contract to trigger a new deal for 2024, has decided to test the market before taking up his option with the Raiders. However, he is on a deal worth over $1million and could be out of the Eels’ budget.

A left-field option could be England and St Helens star Jack Welsby, although it would require a hefty transfer fee if the Saints agreed to release him.
Arthur said the make-up of his team, including Gutherson’s role, would hinge on the type of player the club managed to lure.
“It depends who you get,” Arthur said. “There’s a lot of what-ifs. “They’d want to be a really good fullback for us to be replacing Clint Gutherson at fullback. What he does defensively, he probably saves a try a week for us. He’s worth six points to us on the defensive.
“We’re not just going to bring guys in for the sake of it. It’s about the long-term but also the short-term. If we can have anyone that might be able to help us, why wouldn’t we?”
Speaking on Sky Sports Radio on Tuesday, Gutherson admitted he gave Parramatta his blessing to scour the market for a potential fullback option, whether it be a starter or someone off the bench.

“We’ve got three spots to fill in our top 30 and we were just going back and forth with what we need, where we want to go in the next few years and this season as well,” Gutherson said.
“I just said, ‘Let’s look at everyone.’ I’m there to win games, I’ve always said I’m there to win. I just love to play footy and win games. Obviously this has come out in the last 24 hours, I think it’s been blown out of proportion, to be honest.
“I said to Brad that I would be happy to win games of footy, as would everyone else in the team. Wherever you play, you just want to win …
“It doesn’t bother me one bit, I woke up this morning with a smile on my face and I’m going to work soon. It doesn’t bother me.”

If a suitable fullback could be found, one of the options would be to shift Gutherson in the centres, potentially at the expense of Waqa Blake.
“I’ll be open to it, but Brad said to me they won’t just do it to do it,” Gutherson said. “It’s one of those things they will make sure that if it does happen, it’s going to be the right player. From all I’ve heard, there’s been no talks with anyone else yet. I’m just going about my business, I think I’m only getting into the best part of my career now.
“It’s going to be hard to find someone to replace me and I’ll keep that spot as long as I can.”
Speaking on Nine’s 100% Footy, Phil Gould suggested it was Gutherson’s idea to scour the market. A potential target is Gold Coast flyer Jayden Campbell, who has a mutual option in his contract for 2024. However, Campbell is expected to extend his stay at the Titans.
Gutherson also weighed into the debate about whether Joseph Suaalii should be considered for State of Origin selection after signing with Rugby Australia from 2025. Gutherson, who has made three appearances for the Blues and will again be on the fringe of selection, said he and other contenders wouldn’t have an issue if Suaalii was chosen ahead of them.

“I don’t think so,” Gutherson said. “He’s obviously committed to the Roosters for the next two years and if you’re good enough to be playing in the Origin arena, you’re going to get picked.
“It doesn’t matter about where you’re going or what you’re doing, he has signed that two-year deal with the Roosters and secured his future [after that]. It’s a smart move from him to end that speculation and he can get on with what he’s trying to do at the Roosters and trying to win a comp.
“When the time comes around to move to rugby, he’ll move to rugby. It’s one of those things where I’m sure Freddy and the team will pick the best players for the series and if that’s Joseph, it’s going to be Joseph.”
Stream the NRL Premiership 2023 live and free on 9Now.
Sports news, results and expert commentary.

Save
License this article
Michael Chammas is a sports reporter with The Sydney Morning HeraldConnect via Twitter or email.
Adrian Proszenko is the Chief Rugby League Reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via Twitter or email.

MOST VIEWED IN SPORT​

FROM OUR PARTNERS​

The Sydney Morning Herald

OUR SITES​

CLASSIFIEDS​

THE SYDNEY MORNING HERALD​

PRODUCTS & SERVICES​

Copyright © 2023
SUBSCRIBE

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Chammas seems to be the only journo pushing this non issue.

At the end of the day, what is he actually saying ? Eels might recruit another player sometime in the future ?

Gronk

Staff member
Chammas seems to be the only journo pushing this non issue.

At the end of the day, what is he actually saying ? Eels might recruit another player sometime in the future ?
What is fascinating is how is fellow journos are prepared to allow the narrative to flow and even give it momentum. On Triple M Ready etc all had a chuckle, same goes on 100% footy. However after they all had a laugh at the silliness of how Chammas manipulated the premise that the Eels were looking for a GOAT, they all slotted back in and had a little rant about Gutho - even though they know that the club has said that Gutho isn't going anywhere.

King-Gutho94

Coach
What is fascinating is how is fellow journos are prepared to allow the narrative to flow and even give it momentum. On Triple M Ready etc all had a chuckle, same goes on 100% footy. However after they all had a laugh at the silliness of how Chammas manipulated the premise that the Eels were looking for a GOAT, they all slotted back in and had a little rant about Gutho - even though they know that the club has said that Gutho isn't going anywhere.

2 Brain Cells in Matty Johns was carrying on as well the other day.

Chammas got what he was after especially doing it at halftime of Knights/Canberra game with this big developing story on Tv instead of just writing an article about it.

If someone at the club leaked it were they expecting chammas to reveal it on the TV coverage during the game i doubt it.

And I hope whoever leaked it gets a rocket from management over it especially giving the story to Chammas.

JokerEel

Coach

Chammas got what he was after especially doing it at halftime of Knights/Canberra game with this big developing story on Tv instead of just writing an article about it.

If someone at the club leaked it were they expecting chammas to reveal it on the TV coverage during the game i doubt it.

And I hope whoever leaked it gets a rocket from management over it especially giving the story to Chammas.

It was probably a player manager who leaked it to Chammas after the Eels probably contacted them enquiring about a player.

Gazzamatta

Coach

Eels would have contacted Player Managers to see who's available. No doubt thats the leak and why the discussion with Gutho.