What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to prove they're not Hayne-heavy

Gronk

Staff member
Eels keen to prove they're not Hayne-heavy

Steve Jancetic AAPFri, Feb 18, 2011 - 2:45 PM
29524_4_1.jpg
The Eels want to prove that they're no longer reliant on just Jarryd Hayne in 2011 Copyright: Getty Images

For all the pain of last year's miserable campaign, Parramatta learned a valuable lesson about life in the NRL - no one player can carry a club to premiership success.
Even if that player is superstar Jarryd Hayne.
While Hayne put together one of the most scintillating stretches of football to drag his side from nowhere into the 2009 decider, season 2010 was a different story as the Eels slumped to a 12th place finish.
The talented fullback continued to churn out sublime performances, but the players who had helped him turn those freakish efforts into premiership points during that wonderful ride had suddenly become passengers.
"I think we were a bit guilty at times of doing that - if we got ourselves into a situation where we thought we couldn't get out of it we waited for Haynesy to do something," new skipper Nathan Hindmarsh admits.
"(We were) building stuff around waiting for Haynesy to do his thing - watching the ball go over our heads thinking 'I hope he can return it 100 metres'.
"I think that sometimes happens when you're the best player in the team - I think every team has that - look at the Tigers with Benji Marshall.
"(But) it won't be the case this year, definitely."
That's because under new coach Stephen Kearney the Eels plan to play a more structured game. Hayne will still be free to do his own thing, but his teammates know they have to play their role for the 2009 Dally M medallist to weave his magic.
"I guess last year just proves that in rugby league one bloke can't carry a team," backrower Ben Smith told AAP.
"A lot of expectation was put on Haynesy in terms of him creating opportunities for us and it's not fair on him, you can't do that week-in, week out.
"The stuff that he was doing in `09, you won't see that again for a very long time, just the way the competition is and how tough it is.
"I think we had an expectation on him to pull a rabbit out of the hat when we needed it and a lot ofteams had their eye on him a lot more last year."
No doubt Hayne will remain the focus for opposition defences, at least until some of his teammates prove the need to do otherwise.
And with the off-season departure of ball-playing lock Feleti Mateo and strike centre Timana Tahu, much of that playmaking pressure will fall on the shoulders of halves Daniel Mortimer and Jeff Robson.
Kearney has stated his intention to open the season with that halves pairing - starting with Saturday night's trial against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown - when they will get to test themselves up against the hottest playmaker in the game today in Benji Marshall.
http://www.nrl.com/eels-keen-to-prove-theyre-not-hayne-heavy/tabid/10874/newsid/61396/default.aspx

TheRam

Coach
much of that playmaking pressure will fall on the shoulders of halves Daniel Mortimer and Jeff Robson.
Kearney has stated his intention to open the season with that halves pairing - starting with Saturday night's trial against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown - when they will get to test themselves up against the hottest playmaker in the game today in Benji Marshall.

God help us.

jk13

First Grade
the big head tells us abouut the structures he has put in place. it will b interesting 2 c if hayne will follow them. because if they fail with our current halves, will hayne get frustrated and take over? and if he does, maybe he is destined for 5/8 until we get the ability in this area. riddle me that, batman!

mrpwnd

Bench
I think this is the 100th time the clubs said something along these lines now.

But it sounds more genuine this time. :)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
wow what an innovation, fancy that, playing as a team, this will change the face of league :sarcasm:
Well it will be new for Parra, besides 9 weeks off the back of Hayne in 09 we haven't played as a team since Smithy left. Last year in attack it was Hayne or bust, hopefully we offer something more than throw the ball around like a hot potatoe then give it to Hayne to pull a rabbit out of his arse........

Delboy

First Grade
Well it will be new for Parra, besides 9 weeks off the back of Hayne in 09 we haven't played as a team since Smithy left. Last year in attack it was Hayne or bust, hopefully we offer something more than throw the ball around like a hot potatoe then give it to Hayne to pull a rabbit out of his arse........

Interesting comment from 4 years ago, pretty prophetic, certainly a realistic observation of the playing style

lingard

Coach
Interesting comment from 4 years ago, pretty prophetic, certainly a realistic observation of the playing style

I don't agree. Until Peats got injured, Brad Arthur had Parramatta playing much more as a team, with several points of attack. It wasn't until Peats got injured and Tonga got injured/was demoted, and we found we had no attack left, that the team began to rely heavily on Hayne again. Up until then, he was selective about when he chimed in and when he didn't, and was prepared to let others run the show. But don't let that spoil a good story.

strider

Post Whore
I don't agree. Until Peats got injured, Brad Arthur had Parramatta playing much more as a team, with several points of attack. It wasn't until Peats got injured and Tonga got injured/was demoted, and we found we had no attack left, that the team began to rely heavily on Hayne again. Up until then, he was selective about when he chimed in and when he didn't, and was prepared to let others run the show. But don't let that spoil a good story.

mmmm - i'd agree ... I thought peats was our best player up until then - hayne wasn't as dominant earlier in the year

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Agreed, Ivor.

Latest posts