What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Actually I slept on it and I think you're right. A coach doesn't make a difference. You don't even need one really.
No you were right the first time. Coaching is the only thing that matters. Ricky Stuart was a great coach at the Roosters and the worst coach at Parramatta. Ivan Cleary was below average until 2020 but now he is the best.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So in reflection..

Big Club = when you make finals
Small Cub = when you are not making finals
The size of the club is determined by resourcing, which we don’t get to see. The only objective evidence for us is results over a long enough period of time. The ability to recruit and retain is also a good indicator.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t know… if any club could, it’d be the Boncos
There was a period where they didn’t have the best squad (not even close) but did have a lot of quality youth. They might’ve been poorly run back then, and had to adjust to every other club dipping into ‘their’ junior catchment. This meant promoting young merkins (with associated salaries) sooner than they would’ve liked, but last year’s effort proved they are back. Even now they are fourth in premiership betting. They have a massive amount of talent. I don’t expect we could ever afford such a squad.

lucablight

First Grade
Unlike every other club who doesn’t need their halfback or their best attacking player. The Broncos also have the best forward in the game and another who is in the top half dozen.
I’m not sure what you’re refuting here. I’m saying they were only able to put together this team through dumb luck. It was literally an accident and not good management.

eels_fan

First Grade
What appears obvious from Barrett’s pre-game presser is that O’Neill & Sarantinos will be deciding who the assistant coaches and not Ryles.

media constantly asked Barrett would he like to stay on under Ryles, and not once did he say “I’ll have to have a chat to Rylesy” it was always “I’ll have to speak with the club in the next few weeks”

the club should have nothing to do with who Ryles puts around himself

Chipmunk

Coach
What appears obvious from Barrett’s pre-game presser is that O’Neill & Sarantinos will be deciding who the assistant coaches and not Ryles.

media constantly asked Barrett would he like to stay on under Ryles, and not once did he say “I’ll have to have a chat to Rylesy” it was always “I’ll have to speak with the club in the next few weeks”

I think that's possibly over-analysis of a pretty off the cuff response.

If Ryles supposedly told the Dragons to f**k off because he couldn't have his own people in place, why would he say yes this time?

Last edited:

Noise

Coach

That could mean Barrett asks the club “am I staying on next year?” To which the club replies “nah Ryles is bringing his own crew”