What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, that would be like making week 1 of the finals and getting smashed and then talking us up on how we’re a team that consistently makes the finals.
Exactly. As the say in the classics...When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your
elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I might not eat soup I've dropped on the floor but pretty much everything else is fair game.
I made a cheese and pastrami sandwich the other night and left it on the coffee table while I went for a piss. On my way back I heard the missus blow up at the cat and when I arrived back in the room the top slice of bread was on my chair. I put it back on the sandwich and she was like "The cat just grabbed that with her mouth" and I said I didn't care and enjoyed my sandwich. If it was her sandwich I would've just put the bread back and not even told her.

strider

Post Whore
Floors nothing. I've eaten chocolates that fell between the lounge cracks 6mths prior.
I hate when you pick something up and put it in your mouth, thinking its something you just dropped, then realise, oh crap thats not what i thought it was

lucablight

First Grade
It's at least as good. It's definitely smarter, and Drinkwater/Robson are more dangerous runners than our two. Moses is a better kicker than any of the Cowboys spine, but then he is a weaker defender as well.
If you compared their salaries our spine would blow theirs out of the water. Why do you think that is? Are our recruitment and retention people being robbed?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you compared their salaries our spine would blow theirs out of the water. Why do you think that is?
Well I think at least a couple of their blokes are on unders, just like Gutherson and Drown used to be. In fact Mahoney still would be, along with Papali'i and maybe Niukore.

But eventually you have to pay market price or lose them. The Cowboys will end up having to match bids for Drinkwater, Dearden and Robson. Just like they had to pay plenty of merkins what they were worth after 2015. That's how the salary cap works. Every club would have at least a few merkins on unders. The trick is maximising that number, which is what the Cowboys have done this year.
Are our recruitment and retention people being robbed?
Well I'm certain the best recruitment/retention people are at the best clubs. Look how the relative fortunes of Parra and Manly changed when Cleal left us to join them. Is it a coincidence that Peter O'Sullivan worked for both the Storm and the Roosters?

lucablight

First Grade
Well I think at least a couple of their blokes are on unders, just like Gutherson and Drown used to be. In fact Mahoney still would be, along with Papali'i and maybe Niukore.

But eventually you have to pay market price or lose them. The Cowboys will end up having to match bids for Drinkwater, Dearden and Robson. Just like they had to pay plenty of merkins what they were worth after 2015. That's how the salary cap works. Every club would have at least a few merkins on unders. The trick is maximising that number, which is what the Cowboys have done this year.
Well I'm certain the best recruitment/retention people are at the best clubs. Look how the relative fortunes of Parra and Manly changed when Cleal left us to join them. Is it a coincidence that Peter O'Sullivan worked for both the Storm and the Roosters?
Townsend certainly isn’t on unders and was released by the struggling Warriors. Dearden was unwanted by the struggling Broncos even though they desperately needed halves. Robson was released by the mediocre Dragons and Drinkwater was released early by the Storm. They might be having good seasons atm but their spine is currently a bunch of misfits thrown together who are performing well above expectations. I thought the whole reason why we didn’t re-sign Papali’i was because we weren’t sure if he could repeat his breakout season but the Cowboys misfits are guaranteed to be as good as our established spine players?

hindy111

Post Whore
I made a cheese and pastrami sandwich the other night and left it on the coffee table while I went for a piss. On my way back I heard the missus blow up at the cat and when I arrived back in the room the top slice of bread was on my chair. I put it back on the sandwich and she was like "The cat just grabbed that with her mouth" and I said I didn't care and enjoyed my sandwich. If it was her sandwich I would've just put the bread back and not even told her.

What type of cat?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Are the Cows spine that good or are they just a well coach and well drilled side??? Opposite of us.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Townsend certainly isn’t on unders and was released by the struggling Warriors. Dearden was unwanted by the struggling Broncos even though they desperately needed halves. Robson was released by the mediocre Dragons and Drinkwater was released early by the Storm. They might be having good seasons atm but their spine is currently a bunch of misfits thrown together who are performing well above expectations. I thought the whole reason why we didn’t re-sign Papali’i was because we weren’t sure if he could repeat his breakout season but the Cowboys misfits are guaranteed to be as good as our established spine players?
Drinkwater / Dearden aren’t miss fits, both were highly rated at 2 of the better resourced / better junior recruitment clubs in the NRL. Both were highly rated juniors. One is on 25 the other 21…pretty young still .

And both were unlucky at their previous clubs, Drinkwater was injured at a crucial time when Storm has spine positions available, while Dearden come into to first grade when Broncos coaching structure was poor……

While Robson wasn’t released by the dragons, he was massively rated by the club (and had an impressive junior rep career) and Cowboys simply beat them to his signature….dragons never wanted him to leave

All 3 played junior reps for Australia…