What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK II

How many pages in 24 hrs

• 1-15

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 16-30

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 31-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45+

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The contract loophole exposed by Parramatta and Anthony Warmough

March 23, 2016 8:49pm
PAUL CRAWLEYThe Daily Telegraph

Was signing Anthony Watmough to a four-year deal a smart business decision by Parramatta?

We are about to find out.

Make no mistake, there is plenty of intrigue surrounding Watmough’s future outside Parramatta, as rival clubs wait to see if the veteran enforcer makes it back on the field.

The outside interest relates specifically to talk that Watmough might be forced to retire with more than two years to run on his existing contract.

And most importantly, whether any payout would then be excluded from the Eels’ salary cap going forward.

Given the 32-year-old is on a reported $750,000 for 2017 and 2018, that is a significant whack of money that could stand in the way of the Eels re-signing others players, such as star playmaker Corey Norman, who is off contract this year.

We learned this week that Parramatta’s negotiations with Norman have flatlined in recent months because of the club’s salary cap squeeze.

But the word from the NRL is that if Watmough is forced to retire, because of what is deemed a “new” career-ending injury that is not due to any pre-existing complaint, it won’t go on the Eels’ salary cap.

While that would be good news for the embattled Eels, other clubs see this, potentially, as a loophole in the salary cap rules _ that could be exploited shamelessly in the future.

There is no suggestion Watmough has done anything wrong here, or the Eels for that matter.

It is just a debate clubs are having.

They have no doubts how this plays out in the coming months could impact on their decisions going forward, when it comes to negotiating new deals with off-contract senior players.

For instance, hypothetically, if the Cowboys were to offer Johnathan Thurston a five-year deal, and Thurston succumbed to a new injury at 35 that ruled him out of the last two years of his contract, should the Cowboys be penalised for taking such a huge risk?

Or if that player was Sam Thaiday at the Broncos, or Cooper Cronk at the Storm?

Or worse still, if a rival was to pinch one of these senior players by offering a ridiculous long-term deal, should they be exempt from salary cap punishment if it backfired?

All hypotheticals, but as one chief executive pointed out yesterday:

“That would be an easy way to force any player into retirement a year out and not be in your salary cap.

“By that stage of their career every player is carrying some sort of significant injury that could be deemed career-ending.”

But should you then be allowed to write it off as bad luck, or should you be accountable for taking that risk in the first place?

It’s a legitimate argument.

Rich clubs could afford to take this gamble, if they knew it was not going to penalise them in relation to the salary cap.

No one wants to see any player penalised for putting their body on the line for their club, and changes to the RLPA’s CBA conditions relating to career-ending injuries were designed with good intent.

But it is also vital loopholes aren’t exposed, because it will open the floodgates.

When Watmough originally signed, many rightfully thought, it was a huge risk for Parramatta to take.

Yet here we are, just a year and a bit into his deal, and the whisper at the Eels is that Watmough has about as much chance of playing again as Nathan Hindmarsh.

When it was first revealed in February that Watmough was considering retirement, Watmough wasted no time declaring the story was wrong.

Watmough said at the time that he “had unfinished business”, and was “planning to return in a couple of weeks”.

But to date he remains on restricted training duties, and the date listed for his return is classified as “indefinite”.

Watmough is said to have had surgery last year on a knee injury, before he suffered what is said to be a new injury during a pre-season training mishap after a collision with a teammate.

This is where the debate gets very complicated.

While Watmough is known to have had plenty of significant injuries throughout his career, including a chronic knee problem, to qualify for the salary cap exemption, the club would need to prove this latest complaint has nothing to do with any pre-existing problem.

And they will need to prove that via medical records.

There is a strict criteria in place for situations like this, designed so clubs can’t exploit the salary cap rules by offering senior players ludicrous back-ended deals.

Let’s make this clear again, it is no fault of Watmough that the Eels chose to sign him to a four-year deal.

And if he can’t get back on the field, he should be paid his money.

After all, he has a contract.

But it is also fair to say that Parra went into this with eyes wide open, knowing the brutal punishment Watmough had put his body through over 13 years at Manly.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
And just to repeat the warning in the previous thread that I posted before it auto locked.

Twizzle said:
So far there is no evidence of anything.

Some of you guys need to be very careful of what you are alleging. IF you are unsure, then ask.

If I have to keep deleting posts this thread will be locked or removed.

I don't think some of you guys realize that this is for your own protection as well as LU.

Gronk

Staff member
Someone is determined to have us under the microscope 24/7.....

When it was first revealed in February that Watmough was considering retirement, Watmough wasted no time declaring the story was wrong.

Watmough said at the time that he “had unfinished business”, and was “planning to return in a couple of weeks”.

But to date he remains on restricted training duties, and the date listed for his return is classified as “indefinite”.

Watmough is said to have had surgery last year on a knee injury, before he suffered what is said to be a new injury during a pre-season training mishap after a collision with a teammate.

This is where the debate gets very complicated.

While Watmough is known to have had plenty of significant injuries throughout his career, including a chronic knee problem, to qualify for the salary cap exemption, the club would need to prove this latest complaint has nothing to do with any pre-existing problem.

And they will need to prove that via medical records.

There is a strict criteria in place for situations like this, designed so clubs can’t exploit the salary cap rules by offering senior players ludicrous back-ended deals.

Let’s make this clear again, it is no fault of Watmough that the Eels chose to sign him to a four-year deal.

And if he can’t get back on the field, he should be paid his money.

After all, he has a contract.

But it is also fair to say that Parra went into this with eyes wide open, knowing the brutal punishment Watmough had put his body through over 13 years at Manly.

Gronk

Staff member
Google tells me that recently Todd Lowrie, Luke Bailey, Dan Hunt, Beau Champion, Bryce Gibbs, Justin Hodges, Glenn Hall, David Simmons, Kevin Gordon, Nigel Plum, Jason King, Ben Lowe and David Fa'alogo have all retired with time left on their contracts.

I hope that the Telecrap scrutinized their gold watch circumstances too.

forward pass

Coach
That article is not suggesting anything untoward in any way. It is exposing issues with the cap on general - not Parra.

Google tells me that recently Todd Lowrie, Luke Bailey, Dan Hunt, Beau Champion, Bryce Gibbs, Justin Hodges, Glenn Hall, David Simmons, Kevin Gordon, Nigel Plum, Jason King, Ben Lowe and David Fa'alogo have all retired with time left on their contracts.

I think if you really wanted to you could go back even further and find more players who have retired with time left on their contracts.

Yes, but that's not the point. The point is (and I raised this about a year ago), there is incentive to intentionally sign an old player for a longer period than he is likely to be fit for service. You are essentially guaranteeing a post-retirement benefit that is (potentially) cap exempt. How many of the players you cite were signed to a 4-year deal at the age of 32 or so?

IFR33K

Coach
Yes, but that's not the point. The point is (and I raised this about a year ago), there is incentive to intentionally sign an old player for a longer period than he is likely to be fit for service. You are essentially guaranteeing a post-retirement benefit that is (potentially) cap exempt. How many of the players you cite were signed to a 4-year deal at the age of 32 or so?

The NRL had no problems registering the contract at the time. Can't see his retirement being an issue.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Do we really want them checking into Champions gold watch ? We already have enough bush fires to put out.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The fact of a 'loophole' doesn't mean the rules have been broken, it just means there will be pressure to change the rules (close the loophole) before anyone else can benefit from it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
How do you prove its not pre existing when Watmong was broken when he got here ??

caylo

Bench
What is pre-existing? If someone does their acl and it heals and then they do it again is it a recurrence or a new injury. If it's a recurrence then is it still a recurrence if it was initially done at 18 then again at 32? If you claim that is a new injury then, what time period must lapsed for it be considered a new injury? In reality wear and tear will occur and eventually this will manifest in longer periods out and poorer healing in general so for me the player needs to be compensated if a contract is there because it is a work place injury. Is this possible to exploit, i guess it is. How can this be rectified? I don't think you can, there will always be some loophole

84 Baby

Referee
What is pre-existing? If someone does their acl and it heals and then they do it again is it a recurrence or a new injury. If it's a recurrence then is it still a recurrence if it was initially done at 18 then again at 32? If you claim that is a new injury then, what time period must lapsed for it be considered a new injury? In reality wear and tear will occur and eventually this will manifest in longer periods out and poorer healing in general so for me the player needs to be compensated if a contract is there because it is a work place injury. Is this possible to exploit, i guess it is. How can this be rectified? I don't think you can, there will always be some loophole

It's not even a great loophole if all we got out of it was a busted, old Watmough for one season.

ash411

Bench
I get the feeling we are actually going to be the first of many

I hope this leads to a league wide audit and much scrutiny of all teams. But I fear this is just reactionary to the DT's articles, and has nothing to do with reforming the code or the way player payments are done.

i.e. it'll start and stop with us, as the media isn't writing about anyone else, out of sight...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Does anyone know why money went missing at the Broncos, then was found while a footy manager quit suddenly? Interesting!! why doesn't the Telecrap focus on that !!

^b0ss^

Juniors
Gezzz i wish he would retire that money would lock norman in.I dont like saying it though because its great to see a player trying there hardest to get out there for your team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.