What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels slip into town

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com..../eels-slip-into-town/2043724.aspx?storypage=1

Eels slip into town

BY NICK MCGRATH
11 Jan, 2011 08:02 AM

JANUARY is traditionallly the heart of the cricket season but, for a few hours on Friday afternoon, Orange is set to be swept up in a blue and gold wave.

Orange CYMS junior Daniel Mortimer will headline a Parramatta Eels 30-man squad expected to showcase their skills at an open training session at Waratah Sports Ground.

Mortimer, who is entering his third year in the NRL, said Parramatta travelled to Orange in secret during their second bye of the 2010 National Rugby League season and all of the players enjoyed it.

The 21-year-old was rapt the Orange public had the chance to mix it with the Eels stars this time around.

“It’s very exciting,” Mortimer said.

“I’m very honoured to be able to bring the Eels back to my home town and give everyone in Orange a taste to what an NRL side is like.

“Everyone will be able to meet the boys and they’re all coming up.

“Hindy (Nathan Hindmarsh), Haynsey (Jarryd Hayne), they can’t wait to come back up.”

A proposed trial match between the Parramatta Eels and 2010 premiers St George Illawarra Dragons at Wade Park set to be played in February fell through mainly due to the resurfacing of Wade Park.

But that hasn’t stopped the blue and golds from continuing their association with the Colour City.

The Eels will arrive in Orange on Friday before holding an open training run at Waratah Sports Ground from 3pm and then a celebrity touch football match afterwards.

Supporters will have the chance to meet stars like Hayne, Hindmarsh, Tongan wrecking ball Fui Fui Moi Moi and Mortimer.

Mortimer was hopeful the trip would have a positive affect on some of the region’s junior players.

“I remember when the Bulldogs came up and did something similar and it meant the world to me. It really helped me,” the five-eighth said.

“Everyone will be able to see how we train and what goes into a session.”

As much as Parramatta will be coming to Orange to help promote the game in the bush, Mortimer is under no illusions that first year Eels coach Stephen Kearney is going to take it easy on the players.

“No, no. We’ll be taking things very seriously,” he said.

“It has been hard getting into training to start the year back up but so far it’s been really rewarding the last week or two.”

The Eels head to Orange as part of their new country membership drive.

Those who join the Parramatta Eels between today, January 11, and Friday, January 14, will have the chance to be a part of the celebrity touch footy game against the NRL Eels squad.

The game will be held this Friday at Waratah Sports Ground at 5pm.

The winners will be announced at 3.30pm.

Mortimer said he was pleased to see the Eels supporting country rugby league.

“We’re pushing our country membership drive. You can sign up and go to three or four games a year and your seat is reserved,” he said.

“It’s a great initiative by the club.”

The Eels will be in Orange from 3pm Friday.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Sure is...To get quality footballers to ANY bush town goes over very well. Wish we could do it:sarcasm:

it's ok Pete, leave it to a real club to promote the game, you guys can continue to attract attention for all the wrong reasons..:D

parra pete

Referee
Actually we (I think - still to be confirmed) have Hindy coming as part of the ARL Super Clinic on March 4 as a Macquarie Sports ambassador (with Trent Barrett and Mario Fenech as well) and I am sure that Thom LL and Dave Shillington will be coming along.
It is going to be a huge 4 Days..Artie, Bill Harrigan, Danny Nutley, Simon Woolford, Benny Roarty at Footy Show and also a high profile golfer, with Gary Belcher commentating...As well we are expecting a couple of high profile broadcaster to be in town also
see. www.haymagpies.com.au (use Windows Internet Explorer and listen to the players)
'People who say things CAN'T be DONE, are getting knocked over by people DOING it..."

parra pete

Referee
as long as you keep concentrating on Queenslanders and Raiders players you will never get "quality" footballers. ;-)

'Spose your right..Only got a couple of ex- Eels in Tooks and Artie..
Got plenty of Raiders AND Queenslanders though. They are very free with their time and committment..but I spose Arthur and Tooks are Queenslanders also..
The Queenslanders under Mal are a pack of 'bums'....:sarcasm:

carson

Juniors
'Spose your right..Only got a couple of ex- Eels in Tooks and Artie..
Got plenty of Raiders AND Queenslanders though. They are very free with their time and committment..but I spose Arthur and Tooks are Queenslanders also..
The Queenslanders under Mal are a pack of 'bums'....:sarcasm:

Tooks and Artie are only turning up because they think there will be pie!!!

parra pete

Referee
Tooks told me a funny story about when he was playing in the ESL.
He said pommy fans gather at opposite end of the field. He said he scored a try running to his Club supporters, and got a great reception.
When he got back over half way, the opposition fans were all standing, pointing at him and chanting "Who ate all the pies"