What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Snare Humble !

Gronk

Staff member
Eels snare Humble

James Silver
Thursday, August 27, 2009
© The Cairns Post

Northern Pride star Tom Humble has given up the dream of starting his NRL career with North Queensland after signing with the Parramatta Eels.

humble320.gif

Taking a chance: This artist’s impression shows how Tom Humble will look next year for Parramatta in the NRL.
Humble was desperate to stay in his home state but started negotiating with rival clubs because the Cowboys
initially showed no interest in the Queensland Cup revelation.
Humble’s decision to sign a two-year deal was made even tougher because his preferred position is fullback and he has no chance of securing the Eels’ No.1 jersey ahead of Jarryd Hayne.
Humble has forgone a likely starting position at fullback with the Cowboys or Wests Tigers to join the Eels.
He said he had wanted to remain loyal to the Eels, who have courted him for a large part of the season.
"Most people would say I’m a bit silly not taking them (other offers) but I think Parramatta will treat me more as a half," Humble said last night.
"Obviously, Jarryd Hayne is the best fullback in the world at the moment but as I said to the Cowboys, if I got a call from the Cowboys three months ago I would have signed on the dotted line the next day.
"I love North Queensland and I was on their doorstep for four years."
Humble played in the Cowboys under-20 side last year and trained with them in the off-season before moving to Cairns to join the Pride.
"I played 20s last year and didn’t play too bad, then I did a pre-season for free there before Christmas,’’ he said.
"Not that I wanted to get paid but I lived off savings and spent every cent I had and was willing to do it but I came up here (to Cairns) and didn’t hear a word and I was a little bit disappointed.
"I would have loved to have ended up in Townsville and if I ended up there in a year or two, I would not be disappointed. I love the place and I love North Queensland."
The Blackwater product has been one of the Queensland Cup’s best players this season and will partner former NRL player Chris Sheppard in the halves in Saturday’s semi-final at Barlow Park against Norths Devils.
Humble said the decision had weighed on his mind for months.
"Sydney is a big change,’’ he said. "I have never lived in a place like that, it took me a month or so to get positive about moving to Sydney and I finally got my head around it and got a phone call from the Cowboys.
"I left Townsville hoping to go back there but it was a little too late.’’
The Cowboys made their bid for Humble after Matt Bowen suffered a knee injury that could sideline him until July.
Cowboys boss Peter Parr said he understood why Humble had joined the Eels.
"I know that the coaching staff only made the decision late that we should talk to Tom so we understand we were behind the eight-ball,’’ he said.
"He was down the track with Parramatta but we believe we could have provided a better opportunity here, particularly with Matt but we understand the circumstances around it and we wish him the best.’’
Pride coach Andrew Dunemann said the Eels were rewarded for showing early interest in the 20-year-old.
"I think they were one of the first ones to show genuine interest in him. He did testing there and got the best results in a couple of areas for the whole club so that shows they are getting a pretty good player,’’ Dunemann said.
He said it was important Humble pushed his case for an NRL starting spot with a strong Queensland Cup finals
campaign.
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/08/27/60651_local-sport-news.html

Gronk

Staff member
Cowboys lose Humble to lucrative Eels deal
August 27th, 2009
NORTHERN Pride star Tom Humble has foregone a starting position as a fullback in the NRL to join the Parramatta Eels.

Tom-Humble.jpg

Humble has signed a two-year deal with the Eels but will have little chance of securing the No. 1 jersey given Jarryd Hayne is one of the best fullbacks in the league.
The Wests Tigers and North Queensland Cowboys had both courted him and Humble would likely have been the starting fullback at either club at the start of the 2010 season.
Humble has been a revelation in the Queensland Cup this season and will partner former NRL player Chris Sheppard in the halves in Saturday's semi-final at Barlow Park against Norths Devils.
The Cowboys had made a late bid for the Blackwater product after it was confirmed fullback Matt Bowen is likely to be sidelined until July after undergoing knee surgery.
It is understood the Eels were able to provide a two-year deal that was substantially more lucrative than rival NRL clubs could offer.
Cowboys boss Peter Parr said he understood Humble's decision.
''The (Cowboys) coaching staff only made the decision late that we should talk to Tom . . . we understand the circumstances around it and wish him the best,'' Parr said.
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2009/08/27/74715_cowboys.html

Utey

Coach
He can play in the halves apparently and has been this year.

Good for depth.

Ant

Juniors
Yeah from someone who has seen a bit of him play I think its a good signing. He has been really good in the qld cup as a 5/8th mainly. While he has a solid passing and kicking game, its his speed and acceleration which have caused oppositions massive problems.
He looks to take the line on regularly and is a big threat on the fringe. He has great acceleration and once he goes he is very quick over a long distance, he has scored some long range solo tries this year. He also supports well. He is defintely a 6 or 1, but has speed to cover wing as well.
I know we have young guns Mortimer and Keating probably going to play 6 and 7 for us next year, but I think Humble can put pressure on them for a starting spot. He has been one of the stars of the qld cup, which is probably a little stronger than the nsw cup, so all you can do is see how he goes at the next level.

But good signing if nothing else to cover Hayne during origin, but also could be a good option as halves back up, or there is even the chance if he keeps developing that he may well be a starting player for us. But as I said you just wait and see when they go to the next level.

With Humble, Mortimer, and Keating we certainly won't lack spee in the halves.

Also one last thing that impressed me, is even though he really wanted to go to NQ, he went to the eels because they were first to approach him and had put the groundwork in. I thought that was a good sign. I've met him a couple of times and he seems like a great bloke, very friendly down to earth.

Gronk

Staff member
He looks like he's got a bit of size to him as well.

He is only 19 in 2010 by the way.

3rd year Electrician too.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Could this now shut the door on Tim Smith returning to the Eels ? It appears obvious that Robson will take that UK offer up too.

Hill Troll

Juniors
I think the obvious implication of this signing is that we won't be held to ransome for $500,000+ by JH and his manager.
Don't get me wrong, love the way JH is playing but I think a large part of his success has been taking avantage of our offloads. Witness the Tigers game :- first half - no offloads, no line breaks, second half offloads from Kington, Fui, Mortimer equals line brakes and tries. This could be replicated by this Humble bloke....
JH is now less likely to be retained for 2011 especially if negotiations drag on till next year when this kid has a chance to prove himself.

sounds good..... They said in the article that he signed a lucrative deal. He sounds like he's done the hard yards in the qld cup which is a good thing. Next year is looking very bright.

I think the obvious implication of this signing is that we won't be held to ransome for $500,000+ by JH and his manager.
Don't get me wrong, love the way JH is playing but I think a large part of his success has been taking avantage of our offloads. Witness the Tigers game :- first half - no offloads, no line breaks, second half offloads from Kington, Fui, Mortimer equals line brakes and tries. This could be replicated by this Humble bloke....
JH is now less likely to be retained for 2011 especially if negotiations drag on till next year when this kid has a chance to prove himself.

Mate, what drugs are you taking?

Gronk

Staff member
sounds good..... They said in the article that he signed a lucrative deal. He sounds like he's done the hard yards in the qld cup which is a good thing. Next year is looking very bright.

I bet he was cheaper than Albert Kelly and he comes with less baggage. ;-)

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors

:blahb:

Mickyd39

Juniors

Great first post Hill Troll.:sarcasm:

give yourself a triple.

You and HJ should get along just fine.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm excited by this kid coming..we now have our backup half and we can now look at developing Shane Croft, Amosa, Tevita and maybe Josh Murray also...there's some real talent in that position and we can now focus on other areas.

btw, i did hear that when we were negotiating to get him hear it was for a part time contract but things may have changed and he may of taken up that second last spot in the fulltime squad.