What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels thrash Panthers in western derby

I reckon they don't even need to, as long as they're used properly.

Look at the two tries Robson set up last night (Smith and Lasalo) - both times he received the ball behind decoys, both times he just ran to the line with two options - short pass or grubber.

No run-arounds, no unders lines, no isolating wide defenders, no inside-outside options, just catch-run-pass or catch-run-grubber.

It's what Ben Hornby's been doing for two years (though on the left side of the field). Even Cooper Cronk's play is nearly this simple (though he usually has an inside option as well).

Certainly not the kind of ad-lib stuff you get from Thurston, Locker or Marshall on the back of second-phase play.

For the halves we have, structure is all we needed.
options are what they need how often did they get the ball on the 5th tackle last year with nobody to pass to and nowhere to kick it

MrT

Juniors
or maybe both..:sarcasm:

Stagger you stiring the pot?

I think we go for Blair as he would be a straight replacement for Hindy. We have Lassalo on the cheap doing the Harrison work.

We need to buy some young good outside backs

yy_cheng

Coach
Harrison plays a different position to Hindmarsh. Bear with me...

While they're both called 'second rowers', Hindy plays in the middle, while Harrison plays out wide.

The two positions are quite different.

Hindy began his career wide on the left but he's played in the midle since about 2004. The modern day central back-rower is kind of a hybrid front-row/back-rower. The way he plays most resembles front-row play, especially in defence.

A lot of them are even part of their team's front-row rotation (essentially playing with 3 props on the field and two or three on the bench).

Most of them play more minutes than the 35-45 typically played by the props, and for this reason they make more tackles. They usually also don't take the main settling runs, which are the specific territory of the props.

Some other central back-rowers are Gallen, Myles, Parker and Jeremy Smith - big, front-row types. There's also smaller, tackling-machine types who play in the middle, like Fensom, Luck and Ash Harrison.

Bear in mind that a few blokes are equally effective both out wide and in the middle (e.g Thaiday). But generally, you're one or the other - Bronson Harrison's line-breaking ability would be wasted in the middle, while Hindy's front-on defence and work-rate would be wasted out wide.

are you sure hindy played left. I recall Andrew Ryan always on the left

Skinner

Coach
Every bloody year I tip you blokes to go well. I have rellos, friends, casual aquaintences, all in my ear, telling me it's Parra's year.....

I hope it works this season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
options are what they need how often did they get the ball on the 5th tackle last year with nobody to pass to and nowhere to kick it

If you get the ball on the 5th tackle without even one option then the problem's with your structure - somehow all your supports were removed from play on the previous tackle.

That's why the best option on 4th tackle is usually a settler. Last year our 4th tackle play was usually another variant of ad-lib footy. No wonder our kicking game was so poor.

As for options, I'm talking about restricting our halves' choices to one or two plays they're capable of. Not 5+ and certainly not zero.

lingard

Coach
That isn't surprising :) Tough little boy. Doesn't remember a thing unfortuneately.

Well I accept that. All I saw about our kicking was that Mortimer was kicking it long to the wingers and we did screw up a few chances. Not saying our kicking is great but it still much improved than our non-existent kicking-game from last year.

It`s okay, Boxy, you`re allowed to have your love affair with Daniel Mortimer. Nothing wrong with that. And, don`t worry, I`m sure if Daniel starts playing well, we`ll all give him credit. BUT - it might be a good idea to wait until you`ve actually seen a game before you start questioning the reports of eye-witnesses, eh?

Stagger eel

Staff member
It`s okay, Boxy, you`re allowed to have your love affair with Daniel Mortimer. Nothing wrong with that. And, don`t worry, I`m sure if Daniel starts playing well, we`ll all give him credit. BUT - it might be a good idea to wait until you`ve actually seen a game before you start questioning the reports of eye-witnesses, eh?

that's fine Lingard but what if the eye-witnesses have various versions of his form?

mrpwnd

Bench
There are people who were at the game saying both good and bad things about the halves...I daresay he has every right to choose what he wants to believe, personally I'm inclined to believe that Morts has improved significantly and did well.

Eels Dude

Coach
I went out to last night's game and here's my opinions.

Robson was solid without being outstanding. But that's all we needed him to be solid, and direct the attack around. Good to see him set up two tries just by taking the right options at the time. Mortimor was pretty useless in attack, but at least he was strong in defence. Both halves are still lacking a long kicking game.

Backrow was outstanding. Lasalo looks strong and fast, could become a great hole running backrower. Horo has gone from strength to strength in the trials especially running wide and that try he scored off Hayne's chip-bomb was a brilliant effort for a forward. Shacks also looked good hitting it up the middle and was hard to pull down, while Allgood had a solid debut. Didn't see much of Webb, saw him get pulled off the field after just 5 minutes of being on but don't recall seeing him again.

Out the backs Hayne was terrific as usual and we're still going to need to rely on his playmaking abilities if we're going to be a force this year. He's by far our greatest attacking weapon we can't just use him as a traditional support only playing fullback like some are suggesting. Perfectly weighted kick for Horo's try and nearly set up another with a great looking cut out pass but a Panthers hand got in the way. Also thought Whatuira looked very enthused, was quick and made some very good metres. Still don't really rate Etu and Burt had a mixed game.

Bigfella

Coach
Apparently Morts is banging his head against a wall hoping not to remember anything about all games in 2010.

If you get the ball on the 5th tackle without even one option then the problem's with your structure - somehow all your supports were removed from play on the previous tackle.

That's why the best option on 4th tackle is usually a settler. Last year our 4th tackle play was usually another variant of ad-lib footy. No wonder our kicking game was so poor.

As for options, I'm talking about restricting our halves' choices to one or two plays they're capable of. Not 5+ and certainly not zero.
that was another problem we had last year they always seemed to run it up on the 4th and try to make a clearing kick on the 5th when the other team was rushing up on them you need to mix it up so they arent expecting the kick
hell if it was me i'd kick on the 3rd a few times just to mess with their heads

Last edited:

mrpwnd

Bench
It sure is. Only if it`s true, though.
Let me guess, you're a part of the mould who are completely and utterly convinced that the team is 100% guaranteed to be mediocre in every sense?

A trial it may be, but when there are blokes writing off the team so early even after a good, solid win there is a serious problem with the fans.

As for me, I'm completely content with how the team has gone in the trials, I'll be the first to admit that I was resigned to the possibility that the Eels would end up wooden spooners, thankfully the early signs indicate that we can/have the potential to compete.

If you think the team sucks and refuse to give support and praise when due then that's clearly your own initiative, but I'd appreciate if you keep your pessimistic presence elsewhere, you'll find being an ass be infectious more often than not.

Latest posts