What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels thrash Panthers in western derby

lingard

Coach
There are people who were at the game saying both good and bad things about the halves...I daresay he has every right to choose what he wants to believe, personally I'm inclined to believe that Morts has improved significantly and did well.

At least they were at the game. Anyway, I`m not attacking Boxhead. It`s cool.

bartman

Immortal
Good report in the paper, and good to read the (largely positive) reports from people who were there.

Not getting excited by the score/result, but yes it's better than losing a trial 30-0. Two weeks in a row for a good hit out, some attacking combinations clearly working, and defence holding strong.

Shame about Poore's injury and the little niggling injuries, but kudos to the players for seemingly having stepped up a gear compared to anything we saw last season (except for the Storm game), and kudos to the new coach and staff for the preparation so far. :thumn.

Now, looking forward to what the real season brings...

Good report in the paper, and good to read the (largely positive) reports from people who were there.

Not getting excited by the score/result, but yes it's better than losing a trial 30-0. Two weeks in a row for a good hit out, some attacking combinations clearly working, and defence holding strong.

Shame about Poore's injury and the little niggling injuries, but kudos to the players for seemingly having stepped up a gear compared to anything we saw last season (except for the Storm game), and kudos to the new coach and staff for the preparation so far. :thumn.

Now, looking forward to what the real season brings...
my trial formula is: any injuries? win=ok, lose=meh its only a trial

is it really better to win by 30 than lose by 30? if you lose by 30 there might be some flaw in the defensive structure the coach can work on and make the team better what can the coach say when you win by 30 except "good stuff guys, keep it up"

Jodeci

Bench
Up 18 nil, we didnt try throwing the ball around, or stupid off loads.

We played similar to Saints were we didnt let the oppostion back into the game.

Our kicking game in general play was not good but it was a great TEAM performance overall.

I cant wait to go to Eden park

Fee

Juniors
I was at both Penrith and Campbelltown, and I thought last night was a better performance overall. Better defence better attack. The halves have definately improved from last year. I was happy because they defended well and didnt give up. If they can play the season with this attitude then I will be one happy little camper. Were our halves world class ? No. But they dont need to be, they just need to do their jobs, create attacking opportunities. Which they did! I thought Daniel Mortimer was good last night, he defended well and tried really hard in his attacking effort. But it was only a trial. So lets wait till the season starts, then see if he is still improving.

Our kicking game in general play was not good but it was a great TEAM performance overall.

i didnt go last night but i noticed that in the 1st half of the tigers trial as well we dominated possession and field position just kept them running it back off their own goal line

muznik

Juniors
Well I wasnt at the game and havent seen any footage.

I have tried to read thru the thread however ran low on popcorn and got bored with some rivalaries & agendas thus may be speaking out of my a$$....

However reading between the lines I am happy with the feedback from those that were at the game. Our halves pairing of Robson & Morts are not stars. They will not play like a Johns, Thurston or even despite our wishes a Sterling/Kenny. They are toilers and as in 2009 just need to provide competent service to the stars of the team. A better kicking game would be nice though.

Looking forward to the real footy starting and am quietly confident we will be real competitive this year !

yy_cheng

Coach

Yeah, I guess Mateo and INU's departure sort of helped with that.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I thought Walsh clobbered Morts

I could be wrong, but I think Morts didn't have the ball at the time Walsh hit him. That's what the fuss is about.

But it was good to see Hayne, a bloke most people say only cares about himself, step in and stick up for a mate.

TheRam

Coach
And only a couple of weeks ago I was bemoaning our lack of wide back-rowers. I thought we'd be short of depth there until Maitua arrived, so Lasalo's definitely filled a need. Especially if he pushes Smith out of the starting side.

Smith might start in the centres until Reddy gets back.

Back when he played centre he was a hole runner. In the back-row he seems to prefer getting the ball before the line. But you're right, when given time with the ball he doesn't have the footwork or ball-skills to be effective.

Awesome defender though, especially when jamming into the runner.

:lol:

Eels Dude

Coach
I could be wrong, but I think Morts didn't have the ball at the time Walsh hit him. That's what the fuss is about.

But it was good to see Hayne, a bloke most people say only cares about himself, step in and stick up for a mate.

You are wrong. Morts had regathered the ball and backrtracked after a deflection, suuccumbed to the tackle, only for Walsh to charge in when he was already on the ground and hit him in the head.

I went out to last night's game and here's my opinions.

Robson was solid without being outstanding. But that's all we needed him to be solid, and direct the attack around. Good to see him set up two tries just by taking the right options at the time. Mortimor was pretty useless in attack, but at least he was strong in defence. Both halves are still lacking a long kicking game.

Backrow was outstanding. Lasalo looks strong and fast, could become a great hole running backrower. Horo has gone from strength to strength in the trials especially running wide and that try he scored off Hayne's chip-bomb was a brilliant effort for a forward. Shacks also looked good hitting it up the middle and was hard to pull down, while Allgood had a solid debut. Didn't see much of Webb, saw him get pulled off the field after just 5 minutes of being on but don't recall seeing him again.

Out the backs Hayne was terrific as usual and we're still going to need to rely on his playmaking abilities if we're going to be a force this year. He's by far our greatest attacking weapon we can't just use him as a traditional support only playing fullback like some are suggesting. Perfectly weighted kick for Horo's try and nearly set up another with a great looking cut out pass but a Panthers hand got in the way. Also thought Whatuira looked very enthused, was quick and made some very good metres. Still don't really rate Etu and Burt had a mixed game.

Thank you!!

Latest posts