What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels vs Knights trial results.

As I said in this thread, we were better then the Newcastle side that came up to play, we looked fitter, and we looked more structure, not a massive wrap just observations.

The Field was as some will have described a "heavy 9" so much so that you might not let a horse run on it (or a Bronco).

Will we have a shot a the title this year, you never know, some players shoot to stardom in a year. What I think most Eels fans want to know is will we be competitive, and I will wait till all 3 trials are completed and I have seen them with my own eyes to make a call on that.

Gronk

Staff member
Eels crush Knights at Bellevue Save

By SIOBHAN McCARTHY

Feb. 2, 2013, 7:49 p.m.

• 726eda3f-d541-4de7-92f1-fe5ab07f5526.JPG
    Eels defeat Knights at Bellevue.

WHAT HAPPENED WHEN: Eels v Knights
See your ad here

PHOTO SPECIAL: A night with the Eels
THE Parramatta Eels are off to a flying start for the 2013 season after their crushing 40-10 defeat over the Newcastle Knights.
The game was a one-sided affair with the Eels putting points on the board in the early stages of the first quarter.
Heading into the break the Eels led the Knights 16-nil and the damaged continued.
There were notable absences of key players on both sides but the Eels dominated in defence.
The Knights struggled to gain momentum in converting opportunities into points and went into the half-time break down 26-nil.
Eels’ Dylon Gilbert scored a try; his second for the day in the opening minutes of the second half and went on to score another two quick tries.
This damaged the Knights’ hopes of a revival in the second 40 minutes.
The Eels stretched the score out to 36-nil before the Knights secured an unconverted try.
The Knights scored another try to close the gap marginally to 36-10 at the end of the third quarter.
Stepping over the try-line again, the Eels finished the game 40-10.
See your ad here

More than 5,000 people filled the stands at the University of New England’s Bellevue in the first NRL trial match held in Armidale since 1993.
In games held earlier in the day the Greater North West Academy under-16 side outplayed the Parramatta Eels to win 10-4.
While the under-18 Parramatta Eels side were all class in their 46-10 domination of the Greater North West Academy side.
http://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/story/1274991/eels-crush-knights-at-bellevue/?cs=471

Gronk

Staff member
THE Express was among the action at Bellevue. Check out our coverage from the action-packed day.
And when the game kicks off, stay here for all the latest updates.
In the meantime this is what happened earlier ...
4.30pm: 30 minutes until kick off. The grandstand is full and the hill is a sea of blue and yellow.
4.05pm: Young fan Ryan Witherden was plucked from the crowd to do the coin toss for the main game.
4pm: The Parramatta Eels under-18 side dominated the Greater North West Academy 46-10.
3.37pm: The score at half time is 10-6 to the Eels under-18 side.
3.36pm: Tyler Fleming scores to put Greater North West on the scoreboard. The Eels still lead 10-6.
3.19pm: The Eels are taking control of this under-18s game. The score is now 10-nil.
3.13pm: Eels score with an unsuccessful conversion. The score is now 4-nil.
3pm: Players are on the field and waiting for the whistle.
2.44pm: The Eels and Greater North West Academy under-18 sides are doing thier final warm up ahead of their clash at 3pm.
2:41pm: Greater North West have defeated the Eels under-16 side 10-4.
2:36pm: Eels coach Ricky Stuart will be using today's game to indicate his side's fitness levels as well as a chance for younger players to get some time on the field.
2.23: Local rugby league clubs Armidale Rams and Guyra Super Spuds and the Lions Club have set up sausage sizzles to feed to the fans.
2.20PM: Greater North West are dominating this second half with score now 10-4.
2pm: At half time, the Greater North West Academy lead the Eels 6-4.
1.30pm: Click on the photos above to see a short clip of the under-16 Parramatta Eels enjoying being in front of the camera earlier today.
1.10pm: Weather update for Armidale - A shower or two and the chance of a thunderstorm until late afternoon. There are plenty of clouds around but that isn't stopping the fans swarming Bellevue with only 20 minutes until the first game kicks off.
1.05pm: 25 minutes until kick off for the under-16s Eels vs the Greater North West side.
1pm: Brittany Roach, Gwen Palmer and Kara King from the St John Ambulance near the tent are also looking forward to the day's games
12pm: The Parramatta Eels under-16 side are warming up before their game this afternoon. They are excited to be in Armidale.
11.35am: Plenty of people are filing into the grounds with eskis and blankets on the hill. Security has reminded everyone no alcohol is to be brought into the grounds.
See your ad here

11.15am: The merchandise tent is being swarmed by young fans already, the fans' pick is most certainly the caps.
11am: The Eels answered plenty of questions from the young aspiring rugby league strs and there are plenty of smiles.
10.30am: More than 100 children took to Bellevue Oval to learn from the best.
10am: Plenty of young stars of the footy field have turned out to learn a few tricks of the trade from some of the sports' greats.
http://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/story/1272988/what-happened-when-eels-v-knights-trial/?cs=469

eels81236

Bench
Brookie is unreal. It's a public park. You can take your dog there for a run on the field. Just take the shit home with you. A time warp back to the 80's.
I'd hate to go there every week but the odd visit to see Parra at Brookie is great.

eels81236

Bench
I'm not a Mathew Wade so I am not a big spitter but I manage one on the rare occasion that I get there.

Gronk

Staff member
Newcastle Knights NSW Cup coach Rick Stone said despite a 46-10 score line, his team stood up well against a much stronger Parramatta Eels outfit on the weekend in Armidale.
“The Eels played a fair few of their top twenty-five players and we didn’t play many of ours so there was obviously a fair bit of difference between our two sides,” he said.
“It was a difficult task and a big step up for most of them but as the game went on they really warmed to the task.
“Overall it was a good hit out and our young players will be better for the experience.
“We probably need to look at taking a stronger side if we are going to do the same thing next year.”
Stone said he is hoping to build a squad of 40-players for the upcoming NSW Cup season.
“Of our contracted Knights’ players, Peter and Chanel Mata’utia as well as Chad Redman did well for us,” Stone said.
“Local players Brenton Horwood and Ben Tupou who are currently trialling with us also played pretty well.
“We need a good half a dozen to fifteen players to be a strong team and we are looking for depth in all positions.
“All the boys who have been training with me this summer have been doing a great job and I think we will see an improvement next time we play.”
The Knights next trial will take place against the Windsor Wolves on Sunday February 17 at Lyall Peacock Oval.
“The squad I have available to me will depend on how many players Wayne (Bennett) takes to Coffs Harbour,” the coach explained.
“Anyone who doesn’t play against Souths will probably play for the NSW Cup the next day.
“In the next couple of weeks I will get a stronger squad and we will be able to start moving towards the squad we will have for round one.”
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Eels-good-experience-for-NSW-Cup/67910