What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels warned they'll be binned for dissent

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/eels-told-to-shut-up/2009/09/14/1252780270346.html

Eels warned they'll be binned for dissent

Glenn Jackson | September 15, 2009

IN HAYNE's world everything's excellent at the moment. But today he may slip from his lofty perch ever so slightly when an email lands in the inbox of his coach, Daniel Anderson.

In it, referees boss Robert Finch is expected to warn the Parramatta coach over the behaviour of his players - including his star Jarryd Hayne - towards match officials when they played St George Illawarra on Sunday.

Hayne was penalised for dissent in the second half against the Dragons and then marched 10 metres soon afterwards, which will result in a specific warning to his coach as well as a blanket one that abuse of the officials will not be tolerated and may result in a sin-binning.

''We understand it's an emotional time and it's a tough period, but dissent is non-negotiable,'' Finch said. ''It was made quite clear by Jared [Maxwell, the lead referee on Sunday] on the field that the next time he had a problem he was going to take further action.

''Yes, they do have that option. Obviously we're very aware of the importance of the games and it would have to be the very high end of dissent. But it's an option.''

Hayne, strangely, yesterday suggested he lost his cool because it was too hot.

''That's part of the game. It was pretty hot out there so I think the heat sort of got to me,'' Hayne said. ''I've just got to keep my cool and not let it happen again.''

It may have represented the first time anyone has had anything bad to say about Hayne in a remarkable past few months. But it would have been only a slight glitch for Jarryd Inc.

Yesterday he fronted the media after one of the great individual finals tries, showing he is learning more than just how to step past six Dragons defenders in one magnificent movement.

With a sponsor's bag positioned perfectly over his shoulder for the cameras, Hayne spoke about his 77th-minute effort, offering: ''There was a set move and they D'd up well. I just tried to come infield and look for a little gap and I found one.'' Or six. Centre Krisnan Inu described the try as ''standard Jarryd Hayne'' and the fullback suggested there was something to that. ''I just play, you know,'' Hayne said. ''I can't sit down and read a book and tell you how to do it. I play off the top of my head and if I see it's on, I try my best.''

He did concede the try was more than standard when it came down to its context.

''It's up there, pretty special, considering how intense the game was,'' said Hayne, who is never one to follow a rule book.

While most players generally maintain there is always improvement needed, Hayne suggested that the level they reached on Sunday would be good enough to give them a premiership.

''We probably reached it yesterday,'' Hayne said. ''We've just got to keep that intensity up, keep that mentality up and I'm sure we'll go a long way.''

But first the Titans, whom the Eels have never beaten. If they win on Friday night, they will replicate the club's effort in 2007 to reach the preliminary final. That year, they lost to eventual premiers Melbourne, but Hayne said the Eels had grown up.

''I think we're probably a bit more confident [than in 2007],'' Hayne said. ''There's things that we did in '07 that certainly I've learnt from. I do feel a bit more confident.''

They are likely to have Inu back, too. The centre, who was ruled out of the qualifying final with a hamstring injury, said he almost played last Sunday and was confident he would overcome the strain in time for a return at the SFS, although he might have chosen his words more carefully when discussing the coming game: ''Hopefully we can pull a few strings to win this week,'' he said.

He added later: ''I was close to playing last week but unfortunately I just didn't pass the test that last day.

''Hopefully I should be all right for Friday. I'll probably take it slow at the start of the week and hopefully get running on Wednesday or Thursday.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
Finch is f**kin useless

how about you tell the refs to watch forward passes, keep players on side, look for illegal strips etc etc

the merkins deserve a spray for the last two weeks. they have been atrocious and it has happened on Finch's watch

he's more useless than his son

Glenn

First Grade
I don't condone dissent of match officials, however if they are not up to standard why isn't anything being done about it? Nice work by Finch to shift the blame.

strider

Post Whore
the first time we were marched 10m was because caylo yelled out "bullsh*t" ... if thats the threshold of what a ref will take on the field, then they are soft c**ks

the first time we were marched 10m was because caylo yelled out "bullsh*t" ... if thats the threshold of what a ref will take on the field, then they are soft c**ks
After watching the game again and listening to the audio, im not convinced of that now. I think he may have been wanting to ask to speak to the ref, and either Hayne or Reddy said it was bullsh*t.

Kornstar

Coach
So the refs make the wrong calls, a player calls them out and it is the players that face action, not the absolutely usesless refs.......makes plenty of sense to me

strider

Post Whore
i mean the first one - early in the first half - i think the lip reader chick from seinfeld would clearly read that caylo said the BS word ..... i'm not sure about the 2nd one in the 2nd half where we were first penalised then marched 10m also

tbh maybe jarryd needs to get it under control a bit - the big ride he's on might be making him that little bit over confident, even with the refs

I have no problem if they were upset if someone really told them off, but if they marched someone 10m near the start of a game cos they said bullsh*t to a questionable call then I think the refs need to thicken up their skin a little

SCoops

Juniors
I watched the game again last night...:D:D It was just that good.

The one thing I know is that the Drags have worked out a way to strip the ball with out getting busted. With the benifit of slow motion play you can see what they were doing.

Every time they had their arm and hands in around the ball all the time. when they dragged the arm out they ALWAYS did this hard up against the ball effectively dragging the ball against the players arms. The result of this is a lost ball.

Ref's need to look at this closely and not just see a ball on the ground and call lost ball all the time.

Get it right and there will be no abuse.

Cheers
Coops

Bigfella

Coach
The Robert Finch and bill Halligan self-analysis ... we were 100% and everyone else is 100% wrong ...

No wonder things don't change much.

Parra Guru

Coach
Regardless, Hayne and Ben Smith better watch it this weekend. They tend to take a while to let these things go!!

Kornstar

Coach
The Robert Finch and bill Halligan self-analysis ... we were 100% and everyone else is 100% wrong ...

No wonder things don't change much.

The day that Finch was on talkin sport defending Beau Ryan's try against the Eels where his foot was clearly on the line, was the day it was confirmed he is out of his depth!!!

Graeme Hughes, Peter Tunks and Robbo were all in shock and really challenged him on it!

Even Billy admitted his foot was on the line ffs!

strider

Post Whore
i particularly liked harrigan's appearance on the footy show once where he effectively said they pretty much always get everything right ... and everyone was doing a bit of :sarcasm:

salvy71

Juniors
I hope Finch sent Paul Simpkins an email and asked him why it was ok for Israel Folau to push a titans player over with his hands whilst contesting a ball .

The Dodger

First Grade
the refs are a farkn joke.

i clearly remember teams getting penalised for holding onto the ball for too long whilst tackling.

the stains were doing it all afternoon and they didn't call it once.

also, the refs didn't call offside all game, not to mention the amount of times players werent square on the marker, it was a farkn joke.

also, the refs didnt call on forward passes made by the stains that much, that the eels started doing it and getting away with it as well lol

also, the stains fans need to stop booing on every set of six that they are attacking if they think they will be a chance of getting a crowd penalty.

mickdo

Coach
Finch is absolutely useless. Bring back Peter Louis I reckon. He was crap, but he wasn't this crap.

TheRam

Coach
No one has ever been this crap. He is sending the refs back to the bad old days of the 70's and before. He need to be sacked!!! And he can take Harrigan with him.

Freak2

Juniors
I'm sorry but referees have created this new 'dissent culture' themselves when dismissing Captains approaching them.

If a player knows only a captain can talk to the refereee then they will complain to his Captain who will then go and speak to the referee to get an understanding on his interpretation of the incident, but during this season we have seen the referee's arrogantly refuse to speak to Captains and thus not alowing an appropriate resolution to take place.

The Colonel

Immortal
also, the refs didn't call offside all game, not to mention the amount of times players werent square on the marker, it was a farkn joke.

They did once. Parramatta's first penalty.....

I just find it interesting that the refs have copped crap all season but it has taken until the second week of the finals to react.....

Latest posts