What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels young gun Daniel Mortimer insists he is happy to remain at Parramatta

parra pete

Referee
I, for one, reckon Daniel Mortimer is a great talent. I hope he stays with the Eels. If he does, he does, if he doesn't ...thanks for the memories.
One door shuts, another opens.
I think Daniel has a bit of all three Mortimers in him, Steve's slippery speed, Peter's determination, and Chris's toughness. And what's more, he does not have a big head..He seem's to be a level headed young kid. I'll alter that opinion of him if I see him adorn his arms with a million tattoo's, and slip in a earring..He does not need that to prove how tough he is. As Jack Gibson used to say "Let them feel your toughness, don't put it on display".
Chris Mortimer was a prime example of that. And gees he was a tough bloke..still is. I know Chris very very well -and he still has that 'presence' about him.
'You can take the boy out of the Country, but you can't take the Country out of the boy.'

mickdo

Coach
So has Shane Perry, and Brett Finch went one further and WON a Grand Final. Lets bring back Finch because he proved something!

I never said it proved he was the second coming, but you were the one saying that he had proved nothing

jk13

First Grade
the thing that makes this kid so appealing is a brave & positive attitude. he reaks of it, the stench is thicker than a hindmarsh mullet.

Gronk

Staff member
With youngest brother Tim signing with Balmain, it's pretty clear that the family hold zero allegiance to the dogs anymore.

Bulldogs miss out

09 Jan, 2010 08:20 AM
The Mortimer family has been synonymous with Bulldogs Rugby League Club in the NRL with brothers Steve, Chris and Peter all turning out for the Blue and Whites.In recent years, the Dogs have let three Mortimers (the sons of Peter) slip through their fingers with Parramatta signing Daniel and oldest brother Tim while youngest Mortimer Tim has just signed with the Balmain Tigers for the coming SG Ball season.
The boys grew up in Orange where their father owns a winery just outside of town and played in the junior teams in the Group 10 competition.
Daniel Mortimer was an instant hit with the Eels and was one of the main reasons behind their run to last year’s grand final.
Sixteen year old Robbie will travel to the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra on Monday hoping to make it through the final stage of the selection process for a coveted rugby league scholarship.
A scholarship would expose him to some of the best junior coaches in Australia and also provide him with the chance to tour England and France with the AIS squad.
Robbie trialled for a place with the Eels’ SG Ball squad during grand final week before an opportunity with the Tigers came up.
Former Balmain player and Group 10 player and development officer James Grant phoned Peter Mortimer with an opportunity for Robbie to trial with the Tigers and he impressed.
He currently attends St Stanislaus College in Bathurst.
He is the only 16 year old in the squad and could potentially play two seasons in the under 18 competition.
Brother Tim who is aged 23 admitted getting a start this season with the Eels first grade would be difficult with the calibre of players they have in their roster.
He is currently training fulltime with the Eels with his brother Daniel.
http://www.lithgowmercury.com.au/news/local/sport/general/bulldogs-miss-out/1721468.aspx

strider

Post Whore
... the Dogs have let three Mortimers (the sons of Peter) slip through their fingers with Parramatta signing Daniel and oldest brother Tim while youngest Mortimer Tim has just signed with the Balmain Tigers for the coming SG Ball season. ...

wow - they called 2 of their kids Tim :sarcasm:

IFR33K

Coach
The Rosetta Stone in Rugby League is Money...It speaks all languages....make no mistake about that..

Very true. It seems every few days we are reading a quote that he is happy at the eels, the doesnt want to leave.

Could it possibly be a ploy to 'up' his price.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Great news, as someone mentioned my favourite part of Morts is his attitude. Especially for one so young.

jono

Juniors
wow - they called 2 of their kids Tim :sarcasm:

This may not be PC but it reminds me of the joke about the woman who goes to Centrelink to register her family. The officer asks , "what are the names of your sons ? " and she replies, Tom , Tom, Tom ,Tom, Tom and Tom "
The officer asks , "They've all got the same first name , how do you tell them apart?"
To which she replies , "By their surnames"

parra pete

Referee
Someone I knew called her twin sons Ed...She reckoned 'two Eds were better than one'...(do you believe that?....OK, it's not true,... just a joke...)

jono

Juniors
Ed Sulkowicz gave me the best 60 seconds of football euphoria I'd had in my 17 years when he dived over in the Sheridan Stand corner in the 77th minute of the 77 GF.
Unfortunately Mick Cronin then proceeded to very quickly negate it!

Gaffman

Juniors
When you look at our 2010 roster, something has to give. I think our talent and competition for places across the park is pretty enviable. I believe he would rather stay here than go to the dogs, but money talks.

parra pete

Referee
Ed Sulkowicz gave me the best 60 seconds of football euphoria I'd had in my 17 years when he dived over in the Sheridan Stand corner in the 77th minute of the 77 GF.
Unfortunately Mick Cronin then proceeded to very quickly negate it!

BUT Mickey more than made up for it with his contribution in later years.
Mickkkkkkkkey....

strider

Post Whore
no toe poker could ever be expected to kick a goal from out wide - it defies physics :lol: