What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elgey out for season

no name

Coach
http://www.titans.com.au/news/2016/01/04/elgey_suffers_crushi.html

The Aquis Gold Coast Titans and emerging halfback Kane Elgey were dealt a shocking New Year setback yesterday when the club’s 2015 rookie of the year suffered a serious knee injury in the first training session of 2016.

Elgey went down with what was first thought was a minor knee injury after an innocuous incident during a training drill. It was the team’s first session on the field since returning from a two-week break.

However, results of an MRI scan late yesterday revealed the local product, 10 days short of his 22nd birthday, has suffered a ruptured ACL and is resigned to missing the entire season.

“It’s a devastating blow for Kane and he has naturally taken it hard,” said Aquis Titans head coach Neil Henry.

“He showed his immense promise during his rookie season in 2015 and had been training extremely well, always among the leading group, and shown what great strides he had taken in confidence and maturity.

“We all really feel for him, Kane is such a popular and hard-working part of the group. But he is young and determined and he will overcome this setback and come back and continue to progress into a quality NRL player.”

Elgey’s mishap will obviously provide extra responsibility for newcomers in the halves, Tyrone Roberts and Ash Taylor, while the club has depth in the positions with Daniel Mortimer and utility player Karl Lawton, promoted from last year’s under-20s side, also in the squad.

“Kane emerged quickly last season after being given his chance through injury to Dan Mortimer,” Henry said. “Ash Taylor succeeded Kane as the Holden Cup player of the year and has the chance to make his mark in 2016.

“We are determined to overcome this and I’ve been very impressed with the group resolve and attitude of the squad during the pre-season.”

Seeing how he handled the season was one of the few positives I was looking at for this season for the Titans.
Extreme mismanagement coupled with bad luck has the club looking pretty dire for the foreseeable future, both on field and off.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Titans were one of two teams I thought had no top 8 chance this year and I rate Elgey very highly. This pretty much kills their chances.

The only slight positive is that it must surely mean Ash Taylor is given the chance right from the start and the extra year of experience might be a good thing in the long run.

Titans need to start rebuilding for the future because they have nothing in the present.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
ouch. terrible news for elgey.. very hard to come back from, both physically and mentally..

and have to feel for the fans of the titans.. been a shit 12 months and doesn't look like getting any better...

nick87

Coach
That's a savage blow. Hard to see how that titans team can over come that sort of injury. What limited chances they had for success in 2016 was Elgey being the next great young half.
Hopefully he comes back in 2017 healthy and can continue on his development path.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
That sucks, he's a quality young player and would have been one of the few highlights for the Titans this season.

Card Shark

Immortal
Bad luck young bloke.

Titans are going to cop some wallopings this year.

If they win 5 games, it'll be a good effort.

Billythekid

First Grade
You can pretty much write the titans off for 2016. I think they're going to struggle to attract any sort of decent crowds this year considering the situation they're in.

Edwahu

Bench
I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

Terrible news for the kid. I think he has the game to come back from it though.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
damn that sucks. i guess buying tyrone roberts may prove to be an astute purchase. one positive is i guess ash taylor will get a lot of game time and not have as much pressure to try to play mistake free footy to keep his spot

Wizardman

First Grade
My goodness, the Titans have had some shocking luck. The pain of 2016 will be similar to the old Gold Coast Seagulls teams of the early 90's.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Unfortunate for the kid. I guess if you have to do an ACL you would rather it be in a season where you won't be contending, not that that is a positive.

Big opportunity for Ash Taylor though, he deserves an opportunity.