What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elijah Taylor

Iafeta

Referee
I thought he was worthy of a thread frankly, given he's played his last home game for us. On two fronts, firstly, unlike Sharky Brown and James Maloney, after announcing early on he was leaving, he certainly didn't drop his bundle like they did. He's competed right till the end. Secondly, he's become just as valuable to us as Micheal Luck. Luck was probably a bit more of a hard worker in defence, but Elijah's game is so much more rounded. His footwork is excellent, and he's starting to show those deft touches he showed early on in NYC where he'd step with the ball in one hand, starting drawing a defender and link to his outside man who has space opening in front of him. I think he copped a raw deal being asked to play hooker, that's not his game, but that can't take away from my mind that he is an enormous loss.

I hope one day Elijah comes back.

Rich102

Staff member
I think he also suffered for speaking his mind about Iro. I always thought he was a great role-model and a future captain.
Can only get better. Welcome back anytime.

vvvrulz

Coach
Even last year he was one of the few still giving committed performances. He's no Michael Luck but he is a hard worker with a big future. Good luck to him.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
He certainly always showed moments of great play previously, but I think he has really stepped up this year and become one of our best forwards. A very creative runner who seems to find the gaps well, and has scored some important tries for us as a result. Very sad to see him go, I think the Panthers have picked up a great deal in signing him.

Elijah was asked on Radiosport whether he would come back home. He said he will return where it all began eventually. Penrith however will build around him in the coming years already in line to be a person whom works with the youth. Captain he will be one day just a matter of time and agreed fully Penrith best steal from us. Come back Taylor one day to be our next Warriors Captain

Meth

Staff member
I thought he was worthy of a thread frankly, given he's played his last home game for us. On two fronts, firstly, unlike Sharky Brown and James Maloney, after announcing early on he was leaving, he certainly didn't drop his bundle like they did. He's competed right till the end. Secondly, he's become just as valuable to us as Micheal Luck. Luck was probably a bit more of a hard worker in defence, but Elijah's game is so much more rounded. His footwork is excellent, and he's starting to show those deft touches he showed early on in NYC where he'd step with the ball in one hand, starting drawing a defender and link to his outside man who has space opening in front of him. I think he copped a raw deal being asked to play hooker, that's not his game, but that can't take away from my mind that he is an enormous loss.

Great post. Agreed.

warrior poet

Juniors
taylor is a huge loss, possibly the biggest since stacey jones went to catalans (luck, wiki and price all went a year too long in my opinion), i wish we had of done more to retain him but i wish him all the best (hopefully bukuya proves a good replacement when he gets here).
I think he may have caused a few issues last year when he seemed to be a big part of bluey getting the sack, and that may have resulted in us not trying to retain him. I do agree however that if he does want to return (and doesn't cause any issues when he does) that he is more than welcome. He is alongside Matulino, Johnson and Locke as the best players to have come out of the junior Warriors.

hitman82

Bench
My honest thoughts are we could only justify having Henry OR Taylor, and Henry would have edged him out for my team.
Taylor for me is not a lock but a wide running back rower. In the middle I feel he lacks the power for have enough impact in D or A. I hope Taylor continues his development and becomes a great player for the Kiwis.

MKEB...

Staff member
My honest thoughts are we could only justify having Henry OR Taylor, and Henry would have edged him out for my team.
Taylor for me is not a lock but a wide running back rower. In the middle I feel he lacks the power for have enough impact in D or A. I hope Taylor continues his development and becomes a great player for the Kiwis.

Henry can play as an extra ball player or standoff if need be. I rate Henry as a Taylor-plus.
I agree with you Hitman82. And I am sure the under 20s used Henry to put up the bombs...bigger than Johnsons IIRC

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
Henry can play as an extra ball player or standoff if need be. I rate Henry as a Taylor-plus.
I agree with you Hitman82. And I am sure the under 20s used Henry to put up the bombs...bigger than Johnsons IIRC

Yes, Henry has a massive boot on him. He can kick goals too I think.

Taylor in good form is a good player, but right now I think his replacement, Bukuya, will suit our needs better. Incidentally Bukuya got a double today... pity the Sharks farked it all up.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I don't see much in Ben Henry. But i guess he could be a bit of an upgrade on Peyroux off the bench.

Micistm

Bench

Good luck to the young fella:)

tangalife

Juniors
Taylor has been great this year. Awesome last game against Raiders looked real comfortable with his footwork and ball-in-one-hand dummy thing.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Taylor seems to have "clicked" in regard to which lines to run, but there's been an improvement in the whole team in that regard so that might be more of a credit to the coaching staff.

Anyway, there are still some noticeable flaws in his game, but maturity is the main thing that will iron out some of those kinks (at least you would think) so he'll turn into a very good player in a couple of seasons.

Having said that I don't see him as a major loss for us, but that's more to do with an overstock of like for like players we have in the backrow at the moment as opposed to any knock on Taylor.

Mike0070

Juniors
No doubt Taylor has been great for us this season and parts of last year , but I think with Bakuya's form this year and providing he's drug free and starts well with us I think he adds more as an a attacking / defensive back rower than Taylor does.

JoeD

First Grade
Was a serious doubter but he has really come on this season. When it was announced I was happy to see him go now not so much.

Stalefish

Juniors
^^ agree

dont really see a spot on th bench for lowrie next year. Matangi has been a great sucess

Latest posts