What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elimination Final vs Bulldogs

Copperhead

Juniors
Panthers coach Anthony Griffin names his side to face the Bulldogs in an Elimination Final at Allianz Stadium on Sunday. The Panthers will wear the black 2016 Home Jersey

Panthers v Bulldogs
4.10pm Sunday @ Allianz Stadium

1. Matt MOYLAN (c)
2. Josh MANSOUR
3. Waqa BLAKE
4. Tyrone PEACHEY
5. Dallin WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
6. Bryce CARTWRIGHT
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. Leilani LATU
9. Peter WALLACE
10. Suaia MATAGI
11. Isaah YEO
12. James FISHER-HARRIS
13. Trent MERRIN

14. Sitaleki AKAUOLA
15. Jeremy LATIMORE
16. Chris GREVSMUHL
17. Zak HARDAKER
20. Moses LEOTA

Panthers NYC coach Cam Ciraldo names his side to face Cronulla Sharks in a Qualifying Final at Allianz Stadium on Sunday.

NYC Panthers v NYC Sharks
1.30pm Sunday @ Allianz Stadium

1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Ratu TUISESE
3. Christian CRICHTON
4. Braidon BURNS
5. Daniel BROWN
6. Dean BLORE
7. Wayde EGAN
8. Cowen EPERE
9. Soni LUKE
10. Oliver CLARK (c)
11. Kaide ELLIS
12. Corey WADDELL
13. Reed IZZARD

14. Liam MARTIN
15. Thomson TUIGAMALA
16. Dylan FUAD
17. Jack NELSON
18. Caleb AEKINS
19. Mitch KENNY
20. Billy BURNS

maple_69

Bench
Not much left to say on lineup day which is great. We've got the form, momentum and talent on the Dogs. I think it's tight for the first hour and then we come over the top. Kids just need to do what they've been doing.

Good luck boys!

chrisD

Coach
Much rests on Matagi and Grevsmuhl. They generate the momentum pass the line, allowing the other forwards to play off their back in the cracks. Will be harder for Matagi against this particular pack, Grevsmuhl gets between defenders, pushing through seams, Matagi just hits defenders to try and overpower them, which the Dogs are suited to defend. Merrin and Latimore are known quantities, Akauola needs to keep his head, hopefully Latu's passes stick. They don't need to dominate, just give us enough for Moylan to play with.

Cleary and Cartwright just need to keep doing as they have been, not get overawed, not overplay but not go into a shell either. It's Moylan's team, and there's no chance he won't show up. Hold the f**king ball and we will win, this dogs defence and attack is no better than others we've handily outclassed since we've had this spine everytime we've held the ball.

Panther Pete

Juniors
For me the most crucial part of our game will be holding on to the ball. If we can do that it should create enough opportunities for Moylan to do damage at 5/8 and get us a win.

Could be the game having a back on the bench cost us if the big Dogs pack gets a roll on.
On the flipside to that I dont think they'll be able to cope with Peach when he moves in a bit.

chrisD

Coach
Leota is the only player in contention and not worth taking minutes from Merrin, Latu, Matagi and Grevsmuhl. And if Latimore gets more than 30 minutes it's because Griffin is banking on his experience, and Akauola won't get enough minutes to be worth splitting.

tripster

Juniors
Not much left to say on lineup day which is great. We've got the form, momentum and talent on the Dogs. I think it's tight for the first hour and then we come over the top. Kids just need to do what they've been doing.

Good luck boys!

Completely agree. If we complete our sets, we should win. I hope nerves don't get to us and cause us to push passes and play silly football.

Dogs are going to try to bash up our forwards (and play dirty) and win the match in the middle. That's really the only game plan they have.

A risk I see is how we might play if we get behind on the score board or if we start to get intimidated by the Dog's pack. If we get behind I can see us starting to run across the park trying to create chances rather than going hard up the middle.

Thankfully, although we have a young side, there are some pretty experienced players in there in key positions. Wallace has a ton of big game experience. Merrin has plenty too. Moylan and Mansour have both played finals footy before, and have now got Origin under their belts as well. DWZ and Latimore also have finals experience.

Come on boys!

betcats

Referee
Cleary, Carty and Moylan hopefully can play and combine like they did on Sunday because that was perfect at times. Dogs are much tougher defensively than Manly obviously but if we get can a roll on we can put points on anyone with the form some of our guys are in and with Waqa playing so well we have a genuine long range threat now as well.

franklin2323

Immortal
Could be the game having a back on the bench cost us if the big Dogs pack gets a roll on.
On the flipside to that I dont think they'll be able to cope with Peach when he moves in a bit.

I think the opposite speed and footwork will be beat them. Most of the forwards can play big minutes the last 20 is where our speed and offloads will take over

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary, Carty and Moylan hopefully can play and combine like they did on Sunday because that was perfect at times. Dogs are much tougher defensively than Manly obviously but if we get can a roll on we can put points on anyone with the form some of our guys are in and with Waqa playing so well we have a genuine long range threat now as well.

Dogs up the guts are strong no speed outwide and Holland is a terrible defender. So there's places to beat them we just need to match their pack. I'd be tempted to start Latimore to have some experience out there and have Matagi off the bench

The yak

Juniors
I hope the club has a plan for Greg Eastwood.
Eastwood has become a menace the past few times we have played against him. Causing injuries to Moylan & Cartwright through late shots. I would hate to see him do it again.
I hope Akauola legally flattens him.

tripster

Juniors
Eastwood has become a menace the past few times we have played against him. Causing injuries to Moylan & Cartwright through late shots. I would hate to see him do it again.

Totally agree. Eastwood has that leg lock tackle that he does, where he puts his leg behind the ball carriers leg and then uses this weight to push them over (and crush the ball carriers leg or ankle at the same time). It shouldn't be a legal technique, given the serious injuries he has caused with it.

franklin2323

Immortal

Isn't he on JFH's side? he will get him far better defender and will be on grub mode I'd say. I think this is one of those times when Gus will hand a tip sheet across to Griffin. To have him there an not use him will be a mistake imo

betcats

Referee
Brett Morris trailing blokes like Kasiono through the middle worries me a bit, gotta watch out for him.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah this is our big worry. I think we have the wood on them in most areas. The Dogs look best when they go up the middle and have been erring to the edges lately. That won't be happening on Sunday. Will be a real test of our improved but untested middle defence. They're going to break us up the guys a few times. We just need to scramble like we did against the Sea Eagles and not panic and allow our defensive structure to fall apart like the Tigers did against us. We have the points to nullify a few tries up the middle.

Frankus

Juniors
We should win this, dare I say comfortably. The dogs have been very ordinary in the past month to 6 weeks. They have been thrashed by Souths and Cows, limped over line against Manly, Dragons and Newcastle. The last decent win they had was against the Tigpies.

If we score 20+ points, I can't see them going with us.

Brett Morris trailing blokes like Kasiono through the middle worries me a bit, gotta watch out for him.

Worries me a bit too. Back at fullback he will be more dangerous with his running game and sniffing around in the middle for any offloads via the pack.

yeah agree with consensus we win if we do the simple things like hold the ball. if we dont, our attacking brilliance doesnt mean anything

GongPanther

Referee
Ask yourselves,which team has been playing the better,and more attractive football over the past few months?

If anyone would say the Panthers,then logically you have your winner.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Ask yourselves,which team has been playing the better,and more attractive football over the past few months?

If anyone would say the Panthers,then logically you have your winner.
I agree with this but I think people on here need to remember over the past month or so we haven't played too many quality teams. I guess the Titans were the strongest and we beat them by one point. So although the dogs have been scratchy of late, they are a semi's hardened team and we will need to do all the little things right on Sunday to finish on top. I think it will be a close game either way.