What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elliott leaving - official

jed

First Grade
from http://www.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=3&ArticleID=35

Feb 19 - Matthew Elliott will take over from John Lang as Head Coach of Penrith at the end of the season.
The changeover was announced today by Panthers CEO Glenn Matthews, who said Elliott had agreed to a three year deal.

"John has been a great coach for our club, taking us to a premiership and falling only one game short of a second grand final," Matthews said.

John Lang himself informed the players and coaching staff of the change at a meeting this morning in Alice Springs.

"John told them that for 2006 as far as he was concerned it's business as usual," said Michael Leary, Panthers general manager of rugby league.

"Ï feel enormously flattered and very fortunate to be able to continue my coaching career in the NRL with Penrith," Elliott said today. "In the meantime I intend to ensure that my coaching continues to improve this year."

woodgers

Bench
Without wanting to be harsh or disrespectful to what Elliott has done here, i'm off to have a beer ;-)

Does anyone think that we might make a play for John Lang?

Boing Boing

Juniors
Cue some more Elliott bashing. If we start to lose this year it will likely be blamed on Elliot because he doesn't care anymore.

woodgers

Bench
Boing Boing said:
Cue some more Elliott bashing. If we start to lose this year it will likely be blamed on Elliot because he doesn't care anymore.

Thanks for the invite Boing

"Ï feel enormously flattered and very fortunate to be able to continue my coaching career in the NRL with Penrith," Elliott said today. "In the meantime I intend to ensure that my coaching continues to improve this year."

Continues? That is a very loose term isn't it?

This year Woodgers is going to continue to be the richest man in the country too!

Boing Boing

Juniors
woodgers said:
Thanks for the invite Boing

No bothers mate. I don't know if I want to see John Lang here, but Brian Smith could be good. And what do people think of this whole Kevin Walters Affair?

woodgers

Bench
raider_ktj said:
I wanted to get rid of him, but now that hes officially leaving, I'm not sure I want that anymore!!!

That's alright mate. You can ease your pain by watching the Raiders win footy matches ;-)

cooba

Juniors
Hey, we dont want the guy at the club this year-you only want people committed to the club. His mind will be on other things-who he'll have at Penrith next year, what young raiders players will benifit him in his coaching,who's around to sign to Penrith etc, etc. I know he'll say yeah i want this club to win the grand final,blah, blah, blah. We will only progress when we truly have a Canberra explayer who has the skills. Meninga was a flop, no work ethic,Furner could be the one,Bellamy or Stuart quality, Kevie Walters could be a risk, Belcher maybe, thats about it. There is a guy in North Qld Neil Henry a canberra local.
I'm contacting the club tomorrow saying I really dont want to go to games this year if Elliot remains coach. Pay him out but put Furner in charge this year.

Boing Boing

Juniors
That's ridiculous mate. He has a contract to fulfil an I can't think of another situation in Rugby League where what you are suggesting has happened.

We probably won't win the premiership but suggesting that he will now disregard the Raiders is ludicrous.

QldPanther

Juniors
I think Elliott has been frustrated at Canberra and maybe just needs a change to improve his skills. Its just like how we all assess our jobs, we have to sometimes make decisions to do something different

jed

First Grade
Boing Boing said:
That's ridiculous mate. He has a contract to fulfil an I can't think of another situation in Rugby League where what you are suggesting has happened.

We probably won't win the premiership but suggesting that he will now disregard the Raiders is ludicrous.
Absolutely correct

ed bbay

Juniors
i think elliott has made a good move & i only hope we make a better one by getting a fair dinkum coach to the club & not dave furner

Bay56

First Grade
Pantherin2005 said:
I think Elliott has been frustrated at Canberra and maybe just needs a change to improve his skills. Its just like how we all assess our jobs, we have to sometimes make decisions to do something different

Elliott is frustrated .... mate wait till he gets a hold of your guys ... then you'll understand what frustrated is all about.

Latest posts